your heart's not broken, it's only growing
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,300
Pronouns
She/Her

tenor.gif

Guess I still have all the power, then.
Happy Hallyuversary 2021 and #Iloveyou3000!

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
So many idols are getting covid right now :sweat:

Japan has taken a lot of precautionary measures for granted; they over-rely on masks and use less effective masks as substitutes for washing hands, cleaning, and distancing. Thankfully, they are starting to get vaccines distributed, and I know Hello!Project has made a statement about working to get their people vaccinated. Not sure if any other companies have made similar statements, though.

abra

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
Japan has taken a lot of precautionary measures for granted; they over-rely on masks and use less effective masks as substitutes for washing hands, cleaning, and distancing. Thankfully, they are starting to get vaccines distributed, and I know Hello!Project has made a statement about working to get their people vaccinated. Not sure if any other companies have made similar statements, though.
I did not know companies could vaccinate their staff in Japan, I assumed it was state controlled and by age. I haven't heard anything by other companies but I also haven't checked.

Tokyo's numbers have increased a lot but the entertainment/idol industry seems especially hard hit recently. If a member of a group gets infected they can spread it to so many, especially during joint performances or festivals. I also thought it was a bit weird when groups go around and take photos together, the masks aren't going to help much if they're 15 people in a photo from 2-3 groups. It wasn't much of a problem a month ago but with the current spread it's too risky.

I also think we'll see a full moratorium on concerts, maybe for many months or even until the end of the year. It's going to be tough for idol groups but I hope they can survive it and do something else for the fans.

Riri

are you falling in love? i've a feeling you are VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭121,223
^ it was weird to see them organizing concerts even if in open spaces because there's no way people will keep their mask on in the sun in the heat of Japan so this is all very risky. Speaking on behalf of the groups that i know of, tours in September sound like a bad idea too, hopefully, they all get vaccinated by then but with the Olympics, Japan seems as messy as ever

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
I also think we'll see a full moratorium on concerts, maybe for many months or even until the end of the year. It's going to be tough for idol groups but I hope they can survive it and do something else for the fans.

Disagree on this part. I'm well aware my statement may age poorly, but the music industry in Japan has tried very hard to make concerts as safe as they can (distanced seats, mask requirements, silent audience) because when the government shut down live venues last year, it was disastrous for the entertainment industry, so I feel that everyone will do their best not to go back to that. Especially not now that virtually every act has resumed live concerts of some frequency, if not already booked for a full tour.

The question for Japan at this point is whether they can vaccinate enough of the population in the current state of emergency to curb the spread of the variants, since they started with a massive delay in distribution and they have just as much vaccine hesitation there as anywhere. They keep ping-ponging between state of emergency and "everything is fine as long as you wear a mask even if it's one that is scientifically proven to be inadequate," but like most places, they don't want to return to a complete lockdown again so they're probably going to continue switching back and forth.

I personally have a trip tentatively planned in November that I have no expectations of being able to go on, but it would be nice for these places to have their act together by then.

abra

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
Disagree on this part. I'm well aware my statement may age poorly, but the music industry in Japan has tried very hard to make concerts as safe as they can (distanced seats, mask requirements, silent audience) because when the government shut down live venues last year, it was disastrous for the entertainment industry, so I feel that everyone will do their best not to go back to that. Especially not now that virtually every act has resumed live concerts of some frequency, if not already booked for a full tour.

The question for Japan at this point is whether they can vaccinate enough of the population in the current state of emergency to curb the spread of the variants, since they started with a massive delay in distribution and they have just as much vaccine hesitation there as anywhere. They keep ping-ponging between state of emergency and "everything is fine as long as you wear a mask even if it's one that is scientifically proven to be inadequate," but like most places, they don't want to return to a complete lockdown again so they're probably going to continue switching back and forth.

I personally have a trip tentatively planned in November that I have no expectations of being able to go on, but it would be nice for these places to have their act together by then.
They will certainly try but if they continue like they have in the past year it will be a deadly mistake. It all depends on how the daily infection numbers evolve; if they stay at this level or increase then the current measures won't be enough to stop spread. Maybe if they hold concerts outside. I'm hoping they find a solution.

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
They will certainly try but if they continue like they have in the past year it will be a deadly mistake. It all depends on how the daily infection numbers evolve; if they stay at this level or increase then the current measures won't be enough to stop spread. Maybe if they hold concerts outside. I'm hoping they find a solution.

At the end of the day, many idol groups adapted to audience-less concerts so them I won't be as worried about. And to be honest, both because of safety and because the silent audience is kind of weird to watch, I'd prefer that.

abra

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
Does anyone here listen to Maneki Cecak? I know nothing about them but their name intrigues me and I want to check them out

At the end of the day, many idol groups adapted to audience-less concerts so them I won't be as worried about. And to be honest, both because of safety and because the silent audience is kind of weird to watch, I'd prefer that.
I was sure I replied to this! I think it was something along the lines of "you have a point" :pandasantathink:

abra

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
Helloo, anyone still here?

I was just thinking how there should be a thread where we could discuss idols in this forum and that I should make one. Then I remembered!

So I will start by getting some assorted thoughts out of my head and onto paper the internet.

Firstly I didn't expect the day to come where I'm left updating the AKB thread. When I wanted the thread to have a higher proportion of NMB content this is not what I had in mind! Especially when most of the NMB news is depressing lately.

As a tie in to that I'll try to be a bit more active on threads outside of my mostly Stardust idol bubble. The J-section has a lot of threads about new releases but not much discussion. This is a trend I've seen across kpop forums and one I think I've contributed to, so I'll try to make amends by commenting more! But that's after spamming posting several threads today :pandasantacookie:

Any suggestions for new idol releases? None have stood out to me so far this year but I usually get into songs half a year after they release so maybe I just have to wait. My favourite discoveries this year was finding out that Perfume had great b-sides on their Polygon wave EP. :squirtlechristmas: TGS' latest is also good.

So many idols are getting covid right now :sweat:

Little did I know...

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
Helloo, anyone still here?

I was just thinking how there should be a thread where we could discuss idols in this forum and that I should make one. Then I remembered!

So I will start by getting some assorted thoughts out of my head and onto paper the internet.

Firstly I didn't expect the day to come where I'm left updating the AKB thread. When I wanted the thread to have a higher proportion of NMB content this is not what I had in mind! Especially when most of the NMB news is depressing lately.

As a tie in to that I'll try to be a bit more active on threads outside of my mostly Stardust idol bubble. The J-section has a lot of threads about new releases but not much discussion. This is a trend I've seen across kpop forums and one I think I've contributed to, so I'll try to make amends by commenting more! But that's after spamming posting several threads today :pandasantacookie:

Any suggestions for new idol releases? None have stood out to me so far this year but I usually get into songs half a year after they release so maybe I just have to wait. My favourite discoveries this year was finding out that Perfume had great b-sides on their Polygon wave EP. :squirtlechristmas: TGS' latest is also good.

Little did I know...

I pop in and out, but without a ton of discussion, I tend to be more of a lurker than anything.

As for idol releases, I unexpectedly fell headlong into a new oshimen in Ria from Dempagumi, so I've been more focused on them than usual as a result. I will say all of their releases this last year have been excellent, so I don't feel bad about shamelessly promoting them.

Koide Yuusuke of Base Ball Bear did post his best-of lists for idol songs of last year, both major and indie, so that's worth a look if you're looking for new stuff.

Beyooooonds is also releasing a new single, and they did come out swinging with this one.

abra

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
I pop in and out, but without a ton of discussion, I tend to be more of a lurker than anything.

As for idol releases, I unexpectedly fell headlong into a new oshimen in Ria from Dempagumi, so I've been more focused on them than usual as a result. I will say all of their releases this last year have been excellent, so I don't feel bad about shamelessly promoting them.

Koide Yuusuke of Base Ball Bear did post his best-of lists for idol songs of last year, both major and indie, so that's worth a look if you're looking for new stuff.

Beyooooonds is also releasing a new single, and they did come out swinging with this one.

As your UN implies :catpopcorn:
I'm glad you got a new oshimen!
I enjoyed the latest dempa a lot. I'll listen to the Bey45nds song and probably some of the BBB guy's songs that I haven't heard yet.

abra

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
I just found out that Igari Tomoka of Kamen Joshi has started the "Tomoka Regeneration Project" to regain functionality in her legs and that she posts updates on her Youtube

She was hit on the spine by a ad billboard in 2018 and lost all feeling and functionality in her legs. She's been performing in a wheel chair since.
Hopefully her rehabilitation goes well!

Top Bottom