Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭466,259
ALBUM REVIEW: CHERRY BULLET – “CHERRY RUSH”
Written by: Polaris_Tae
cherry-rush.png

On the 20th of January Cherry Bullet came back with their very first mini-album, 'Cherry Rush'. Their previous release was August's 'Aloha 'Oe', an upbeat single about the excitement of summer. The group has returned to welcome the new year with a brand new retro sound and an inventive music video to top it off that will shoot you in the heart, just like their name suggests!

'Love So Sweet'

'Love So Sweet' is a retro-sounding release; which detracts from their previous summery-sounding title 'Aloha 'Oe', in favour of a sweeter more synth-dominated sound. The song talks about having a 'Love So Sweet' that resembles the 20dB (decibel) sound of the wind; blowing against the leaves on a spring day. It'll make you fall in love with Cherry Bullet all over again because of their charms which are sweeter than candy! The song opens with a deep bass-line introducing a small number of synths sprinkled throughout the instrumental. When we reach the chorus, the instrumental reaches an all-time high! We hear it full of synths, horns & percussion instruments all at once as they sing to us about a 'Love So Sweet': "Sweeter than candy // Sweeter than chocolate // Come closer, let's make tonight special // Love love love love so sweet". Within 'Love So Sweet', we also come across two exciting elements, specifically in the chorus & post-chorus. The first is its use of onomatopoeia — seen via the repetition of "ssh" — marking both the beginning and end of the chorus. The second element is how — following the chorus — the instrumental is stripped back to a shell of what it was a few seconds ago. To become only a single synth beat & looping whistle, allowing the chorus the opportunity to fade out and become just as addictive the next time it comes around. The music video, just like the album itself, is a breath of fresh air! We see some interesting editing techniques explored through the music video; beginning with the multiple door transitions to the ending portion stage mix. We are visually presented with a fantastic music video. In essence, Cherry Bullet's 'Love So Sweet' is a fantastic retro song with absolutely stunning vocals that perfectly encapsulates what a hook song is supposed to be! It'll have you putting this song on loop wishing that you too could find yourself a 'Love So Sweet'!
9.5/10

'Follow Me'

'Follow Me' is probably my favourite b-side on 'Cherry Rush'. It's an upbeat bubblegum pop release that talks about heart-fluttering feelings towards a crush and being straightforward by acting on those feelings. "Oh boy, today a party with you and I // a game to find love only for us two // I like it, I like it // Sparks fly up tonight." The song opens with poppy lower register synths. This track follows the retro theme of their 'Love So Sweet'. Furthermore, in 'Follow Me' we see them take influence from the Swing genre of the early 20th century & diner music from the 1950s. However, unlike the big band style that is synonymous with music found in the traditional swing genre; the group instead attempts to replace this with a more upbeat synth-dominated sound in an attempt to modernize the genre. Once we reach the chorus, it is full steam ahead with no turning back! The beat picks up to something that I could only describe as distinctly retro. The synths and drum beats dominate the chorus; plus the exciting addition of non-lexical vocables (AKA nonsense vocal improvisation). They use this effect to fill out the song where — if this were indeed the 50s — a brass instrument likely would've taken its place. This, combined with the stunning vocal harmonies; along with Hayoon & Bora's unique vocals adding a distinct flair to the song ensures that you have the best time in Cherry Bullet's 'Follow Me'.
8/10

5ae5f4a6-6784-11eb-bc00-908c10a5850a_image_hires_150804.jpg

'Keep Your Head Up'

'Keep Your Head Up' is the perfect song to act as the transition between the two halves of the album. It connects the past sound witnessed in the first two tracks, with the second half of the album's modern-sounding genre. We see this through how the song transitions from the nostalgic sounding intro, beginning with the turning on of a car engine to the genre switch once the first chorus hits. This is where the song takes on a modern flavour, becoming an upbeat — somewhat futuristic — flavoured pop release that keeps you on the edge of your seat due — in part — to its killer hook and fantastic vocal layering. Within the song itself, we see the members boasting about being the main character, being bold, and being themselves. "I am the main character // in style, edgy at first sight // in style, go away superstar // In style, show me, with feeling // I am the main character." It makes us want to go out and own that self-confidence that's been pushing us down year after year. It also looks back to the groups' 2019 release, 'Hands Up' even if at just a surface level. I found that the ones that stood out the most in this track were yet again, Bora and Hayoon with their top-tier vocals and the vocal layering. On this release, the vocal layering acted as the perfect way to give off just the right attitude to pull off such a punchy song that we see with 'Keep Your Head Up'!
8/10

'Whatever'

'Whatever' is the second last track on the album. It's a modern pop track written for the group by their labelmate & SF9 member, Hwiyoung. We see the members being straightforward regarding their thoughts and feelings towards, not just their crush, but life in general. We see them declare that "I do whatever I want // Oh yeah // 'Cause I've got control". This song is far more laid back than the previous tracks on the album. It once again relies on the use of synths to round out the instrumental; while also giving us addictive lyrics and a killer hook, "My my my my my my // Oh my my my my // I do whatever I want // Whatever I want." Something interesting about the chorus is the use of the 'Hands Up' hook, "My my my my my my // Oh my my my my". This time it's used in a more upbeat nature than what was seen in 'Hands Up' to reinvent the hook just by a simple change in annunciation! It's this playful admission of admiration that gives this song its addictive quality. As the quirky beat, combined with Haeyoon's amazing vocals allows the song to shine through to make this song not just another b-side, but an addictive release that'll have you coming back to listen to it again and again!
7/10

'Ting-a-ring-a-ring'

We've now reached the end of the album with 'Ting-a-ring-a-ring'; which is the album's final track. Going into this song, I was expecting the stock standard ballad outro that we usually see on numerous Kpop albums these days. However, that is not what we got, and I am here for it! I find ballad outros to be so cliché and would rather end things on a more uplifting, and less emotional note. 'Ting-a-ring-a-ring' does just that! It's a laid back easy listening outro that perfectly matches the Winter season through its mid-tempo style and composition. 'Ting-a-ring-a-ring' is a song that highlights each of the members' voices; where members such as Remi, who doesn't often get the chance to shine, and could honestly join the "no lines" club alongside WayV's Winwin & EVERGLOW's Onda -- finally has the chance to showcase her sweet voice for us to enjoy. Essentially, 'Ting-a-ring-a-ring' is an excellent song for the Cherry Bullet members that are often pushed to the side. It also highlights the vocal strengths of their main vocalists Bora & Haeyoon to give us the perfect outro for 'Cherry Rush'.
8/10

cherry-bullet-cherry-rush.jpg

In Conclusion, 'Cherry Rush' is a fantastic first album from them. Some personal favourites of mine, aside from 'Love So Sweet', include the retro-sounding Follow Me' and the anthem that is 'Keep Your Head Up'. Following last year's 'Aloha 'Oe' the group has managed to pick themselves up and stand on their own two feet to establish a fantastic sound for themselves, and I honestly can't wait to see what they deliver next! Let's just hope that FNC doesn't do them dirty by giving them five more digital singles before we even get around to that 2nd album.

Artistic Creativity: 8/10
Vocal Quality: 10/10
Music: 8.1/10

8.7/10

PROOFREAD BY: @fleur de lune
GRAPHICS BY: @yerm

Last edited:
Top Bottom