Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,080,458
K-Album: SEVENTEEN's Third Full Album, 'An Ode'
Review written by: Nara

xxxxx.png

On September 16, Seventeen released their third studio album, 'An Ode'. This consists of eleven tracks including 'Hit', which was previously released on August 5,
and the newly-released title track, 'Fear'. Seventeen's artistic creativity was shown in this album, as they express deep emotions through their lyrics and touch
upon a variety of music genres. This album had a darker concept compared to their past albums. However, upon listening to the B-sides, it's clear that Seventeen
hasn't completely abandoned their signature youthful and bright concept.

This album shows how Seventeen's music has evolved overtime. The majority of the members have actively participated in writing the lyrics. The group consists of
three sub-units (the 'Hip Hop Team', 'Performance Team', and 'Vocal Team'), with each sub-unit effectively presenting their strengths through their own sub-unit
songs.

Capture_decran_2019-09-25_a_23.09.04.png

The first track in the album, 'Hit', is an electronic dance music (EDM) song that conveys the message of a desire for freedom from life's traps. You may feel
energized while listening to the song. Without watching the MV, 'Hit' gives the impression that it has a strong and powerful choreography, which is expected from
Seventeen. This is my least favorite song in the album as I find that there is too much shouting and not enough tunes.

The next track, 'Lie Again', is an urban pop song that conveys one's sorrow when there is no choice but to lie and end the relationship. The persona is still in love
but believes that it is best to lie in order to spare their lover. 'Lie Again' has beautiful instrumentals, and the most memorable part of the song lies in the chorus,
featuring Woozi and Joshua. Vernon's part at 1:40 is also very memorable as it sounds similar to his part from 2017's 'Don't Wanna Cry.' It may seem like 'Lie
Again'
is a continuation of 'Don't Wanna Cry', however it's interesting to note that 'Don't Wanna Cry' conveys the perspective of a person who was left behind by
their lover, while 'Lie Again' conveys the perspective of a person who left their lover.

Giving remarkably different vibes to 'Hit', 'Fear' is the title track. The song conveys a dark message, and suggests that fear can become your own poison. The
members of Seventeen express mixed emotions, as they don't want their poisons to be spread to their loved ones. Their fear seems to be an artistic fear, as every
artist, in some way, mentally struggles in producing and writing the perfect song. This song is characterized by heavy beats and Seungkwan's high notes.

The following track, 'Let Me Hear You Say', is a fast-paced R&B song that presents the message of gratitude for a person who is there for you when everyone else
turns their back on you. This song is distinguished by sweet lyrics, laid-back vocals, and appears to be a sweet serenade for the fans. The members of Seventeen
are expressing gratitude for the fans who have been there for them through high and low, especially at 0:03-0:08 ('Someone somewhere, might be hoping for my
misfortune
'). My favorite part is the beginning, when DK starts off with a high note. The chorus doesn't seem as memorable.

Unlike the previous songs, ‘247’ is a track from the Performance Team, which consists of members Hoshi, Jun, The8, and Dino. Notable in '247' are the
harmonious vocals and acoustic guitar sounds. ‘247’ is mellower when compared to past releases from the Performance Team. I was expecting a more upbeat
song, such as 'Highlight', but ‘247’ was a pleasant surprise.

'Second Life' is a track from the Vocal Team, which consists of Woozi, Jeonghan, Joshua, DK, and Seungkwan. The members explore their emotions with this
song by asking themselves whether they would love the same person, if they were to have a second life. This song gives off a poetic vibe and therefore perfectly
fits with the album, titled ‘An Ode’.

The song, 'Network Love', is a Deep House track sung by members from different sub-units; Joshua, Jun, The8, and Vernon. This song reminds me of Hallyu+, as
we all come together from different parts of the world to interact with one another. The members participating in this song also came from different parts of the
world, other than Korea. The8 and Jun have more parts in this song, compared to the title track 'Fear', and their parts building up to the chorus was the most
memorable aspect of this song. However, the chorus itself was too dull compared to the vocal and rap parts throughout the song.

The track, 'Back it Up', is a track from the Hip Hop Team, which consists of members S.Coups, Vernon, Mingyu, and Wonwoo. Its genre can be described as a
mix of EDM and Hip Hop. The lyrics are composed entirely by the Hip Hop Team, and they convey similar messages as 'Hit'. Their raps are memorable, but the
song seems to be all over the place.

On the other hand, 'Lucky' has fresh and youthful concept. The melody is refreshing, and the lyrics tell you not to worry about things in life. This song is perfect
to listen to if you need to cheer up. This song seems like an answer to their title track 'Fear', as it says at the beginning of the chorus 'Don't be afraid, forget all
your worries, if it doesn't work
'. Towards the end of the chorus, there's a lot of background sounds similar to video games, and I think that diverts too
much attention away from the chorus.

Similarly, 'Snap Shoot' gives off a cute and youthful vibe. It sounds like a musical, and expresses happiness from being in love. It has distinctive lyrics as the couple
wants to capture every happy moment of them being together, and every moment is a 'Snap Shoot' from the camera. This song is distinguished by pleasant piano
instrumentals, as well as frequent changes in vocal tones throughout the song.

The eleventh and the last track in the album, 'Happy Ending', is the Korean version of Seventeen’s Japanese single which was released in May this year. It's a
mixture of Rock and R&B. Energetic vocals from the members gives off a positive atmosphere to the song. It compares our lives to that of a movie's and implies
that our lives will have happy endings. This song is distinguished by strong bass sounds before the chorus. The chorus itself is catchy but not impressive, with
the words 'Happy Ending' being repeated over and over again.

Overall, I would strongly recommend that you to listen to the whole album. In general, artists are mostly known for their title tracks. However, it's best to listen
to the whole album to truly appreciate their music. I personally enjoyed the B-sides from ‘An Ode’ more than the title track. After listening to the album, I
realized that this album is truly 'An Ode' from Seventeen to the audience. Their lyrics are poetic, and they're effectively speaking to the audience through
these lyrics.

Artistic Creativity: 9/10 for their ability to explore different genres and express varied emotions
Music: 6.5/10 for title track 'Fear' and 8.5/10 for B-sides
Vocal Quality: 9/10

8,25/10

BlessMeAchoo

Excuse My Charisma
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭201,500
I haven't actually listened to Seventeen's B-sides before, but your review has encouraged me to. I shall go listen to their B-sides :shablob:

Saint Ren

So Iconic - User OT Month 4 April , May AND June
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,176,025
Lie Again and Let Me Hear You Say are my faves from this album, defo agree about the similarities between Lie Again and DWC

rosie

• ♔ • Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭17,750
Thank you for the review Nara!! From your descriptions, the album seems to be a diverse one :omgwhat:

Happy

Sleepy Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭141,750
Very interesting! I'm going to listen the album later. Thank you for the review, @Nara!

Lilac

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,080,458
Lie Again and Let Me Hear You Say are my faves from this album, defo agree about the similarities between Lie Again and DWC
Taste! My faves from album are Lie Again and Second Life.

yooamygirls

how deep is your love VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭739,810
This was really well-written Nara! I really enjoyed reading it! I still haven't gotten around to listening to all the b-sides but I think I definitely should now! Thanks for doing this and I'm looking forward to whatever review you do next! :hehe:

fromisSakura

Jelly | Seoyeon best girl VIP+ Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,141,600
Thank you for this review. It's seem like "Lie Again" is my type of song and I will check it out for sure

Lilac

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,080,458

Lilac

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,080,458
This was really well-written Nara! I really enjoyed reading it! I still haven't gotten around to listening to all the b-sides but I think I definitely should now! Thanks for doing this and I'm looking forward to whatever review you do next! :hehe:
You're welcome <3 I look forward to your review too :hehe:

anh

🍑 Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,927,260
thanks for the review!
while fear is not everyone's cup of tea, an ode is a very diverse album and i hope everyone can find a b-side or two that they like from it :heartpar:

Baymax

(•—•)
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭13,550
Enjoyed reading this review, it was great to hear your opinion @Nara! :shablob:

Overall, I would strongly recommend that you to listen to the whole album. In general, artists are mostly known for their title tracks. However, it's best to listen to the whole album to truly appreciate their music.
+1 agree with this. People tend to feel indifferent towards Seventeen moving away from their fresh concept, but Freshteen is still very much alive within their albums. Seventeen has a lot of incredible B-sides that really show off their versatility, and there is definitely something for everyone!

Top Bottom