yooamygirls

how deep is your love VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭739,810
K-Album: TXT's "The Dream Chapter: MAGIC"
Review written by: yooamygirls

xcxcxcxcxvcvcv.png

Tomorrow X Together (abbreviated as TXT) debuted on March 4th, 2019 with their first mini-album "The Dream Chapter: STAR". TXT are hailed as strong contenders for the 2019 Rookie of the Year award as they are Big Hit's first boy group since the debut of BTS back in 2013. Following BTS's upward trajectory in 2015, there had been talk about Big Hit's next act. While rumors of a new girl group or boy group have circulated for years, actual information about TXT wasn't released until late last year. After months of waiting and careful teasing, Big Hit finally debuted the five-member boy group TXT, comprised of Soobin, Yeonjun, Beomgyu, Taehyun, and Huening Kai.

After the immediate success of their debut EP, TXT followed up with a b-side promotion and an American showcase. However, due to member injuries and sickness, they weren't able to come back for 7 months. Although this was a relatively long gap between a debut and a comeback for a rookie, TXT managed to blow away all worries with their first full-length album "The Dream Chapter: MAGIC". It is comprised of 8 tracks: "New Rules", "9와 4분의 3 승강장에서 너를 기다려 (Run Away)", "간지러워 (Roller Coaster)", "Poppin' Star", "그냥 괴물을 살려두면 안 되는 걸까 (Can't We Just Leave the Monster Alive?)", "Magic Island", "20cm", and "Angel Or Devil".

4652b3b3-8fe4-4071-964f-5affd3b4d93c-tomorrow-x-together-concept-photo_sanctuary-ver-1.jpg

"New Rules"

The albums starts with "New Rules", and I'm instantly reminded of a NCT song. The whispering beginning verse promises something unique and different from the happy and bright songs that TXT has done before. The chorus hits, and it's a high-paced and addicting beat with the line "let me go" repeated over and over again. It's followed by Taehyun and Huening Kai's vocals, which closes off the chorus without making it too repetitive and boring. While I wasn't too crazy about the track after listening to it for the first time, watching the live version of it really sold it to me. "New Rules" is such a high energy song and I love how it utilizes each member's unique vocal tone.
8.5/10

"9와 4분의 3 승강장에서 너를 기다려 (Run Away)"

The title track of the album is "9와 4분의 3 승강장에서 너를 기다려 (Run Away)", and the direct translation of the Korean title is "Waiting for you at Platform 9 3/4". Both the teaser for the MV and the title track directly references Harry Potter, thus fitting the "Magic" theme of the album. Platform 9 3/4 is a way that wizarding students can board the express train in order to attend Hogwarts. The song discusses going to a mysterious place with another person, and how you can only go to "Platform 9 3/4" when you're with that special someone. The track nicely embodies the yearning for friendship and companionship.

The song itself is very punk rock, with a strong electric guitar and drum beat being prevalent throughout the song. It's a lot darker than TXT's debut song "CROWN", but it still sounds fresh and boyish. The track matches the schoolboy concept for this comeback perfectly. I especially love the pre-verse part with the short chromatic intonations, and the way Beomgyu and Yeonjun sing it in a breathy way fits the vibe. "Run Away" managed to show TXT's maturity while still maintaining their youthful charms, and I loved everything about it.
10/10

db0ac3d7-a0f8-430f-a3a4-5fa6a4dc7f79-df1add85-4843-4b70-a046-ffaa56052c51-screen-shot-2019-04-24-at-120231-pm.png

"간지러워 (Roller Coaster)"

"간지러워 (Roller Coaster)" was a highly anticipated pre-release because it was the first song that had a member participating in the creation of it. Huening Kai helped write and compose the song, and all the fans were excited to hear what his work would sound like. "Roller Coaster" has a sophisticated, city pop type of sound that is accompanied by a synth type of beat in the background. The vocals are also a lot more relaxed throughout the track, with a lot of breathy techniques used by the members.
8/10

"Poppin' Star"

"Poppin' Star" is probably one of the more cuter and unique sounding songs off the album. It immediately reminded me of their debut EP with how bubbly and bright it was. In addition, the beat in the chorus is super bouncy and fun to listen to. It showcases the boys' clear vocals, and Yeonjun's voice suits the track surprisingly well. "Poppin' Star" makes me think of a bunch of students partying together after a long day at school, thereby giving the song a sense of youthful rebellion and enjoyment.
8/10

"그냥 괴물을 살려주면 안 되는 걸까 (Can't We Just Leave the Monster Alive?)"

"그냥 괴물을 살려주면 안 되는 걸까 (Can't We Just Leave the Monster Alive?)" is one of the most distinctive kpop titles I've seen in recent years, fitting the lyrical theme of "CROWN". In "CROWN", the boys were talking about being cast away as outsiders because of "horns" growing on their head, which in turn made them monsters. They then talked about accepting the title of monsters once they found friendship—this song is a continuation of that theme. Despite the poppy and bright sound of the track, the lyrics are desperately hopeful. It discusses life from the perspective of a "monster" and states that it "will be alright" even if you aren't living life as a hero and instead are being mistreated by others. The track itself has a sad undertone to it, but the boys manage to make it sound uplifting and hopeful.
8.5/10

txt-sanctuary-titre.jpg

"Magic Island"

"Magic Island" was one of the songs that I fell in love with after listening to it the first time through. It's such a beautiful ballad, and although I wasn't the biggest fan of "Nap of a Star", it sounds like a part 2 of the song. It takes you on a peaceful journey (almost as if you're floating through the night sky), and it alludes to a magical destination that we're heading towards. It's a mystical track that I've been playing on repeat and have yet to get sick of. Taehyun's vocals really shine in the chorus, and the song highlights the harmonization between the five boys.
9.5/10

"20cm"

"20cm" is a soulful R&B track that features a lot of ad-libs from each member. Although Yeonjun is known for his rapping skills, his vocals elevated this song beautifully. It's such a good song to listen to right after "Magic Island", as they have similar vibes, but this song is a lot more vocal-heavy. The lyrics describe the emotional struggle between two friends—who want to become something more—as a physical distance, labeling it as "20cm". One thing I really liked about the track was that it didn't shy away from discussing teen-centric themes. The line "if you need a tteokbokki (spicy rice cake) buddy" is a comment on how many South Korean teens go to eat tteokbokki after school. That phrase is a unique reference to real-life in an otherwise romantic and poetic song.
9.5/10

"Angel or Devil"

The last track on the album is "Angel or Devil", a fun song that talks about the struggle between choosing to pursue someone you're interested in (the Devil) or waiting and taking it slowly (the Angel). It's a fun, hip-hop based song (much like "Cat & Dog") but is less trap and autotune heavy. It's a lot more bouncy and playful than the rest of the songs on the album and closes "The Dream Chapter: MAGIC" off in an exciting way.
9.5/10

maxresdefault.jpg

When I heard this was going to be a full-length album, I had no idea what to expect. TXT is so young, and I didn't really know if they had solidified their "sound" yet. After listening to this album, I have a better understanding of TXT's musicality. With Big Hit's tendency to focus on storytelling, I'm excited to see how TXT's music evolves as the boys themselves grow up. I thought "The Dream Chapter: MAGIC" perfectly captured the boys as they are now - youthful, scared, and a little nervous, but still excited and hopeful. This album was filled with bop after bop, and it just gets better and better with each listen. I'm anticipating to see what type of music TXT releases next.

Artistic Creativity: 9.5/10

Vocal Quality: 9/10
Music: 8.9/10

Album

‘The Dream Chapter: MAGIC’: 9.1/10

yooamygirls

how deep is your love VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭739,810
I loved the title track of this album and your review makes me want to go check out the rest of the tracks too!
I highly recommend it! If you're into slower songs, Magic Island and 20cm are the ones to listen to! If hype tracks are your thing, Angel & Devil and Poppin' Star are pretty popular!

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600
great review yooa! i didnt really like runaway, so i only listened to songs that caught my attention in the highlight medley (20cm and rollercoaster)
but i think i'll listen to the rest now

Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,075,558
Thanks for the review Yooa! I love the title track 'Runaway', so i plan to check out the rest of the album.

Vampire

Astarion approves. Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭99,467
Oh! I remember listening to a few of the songs when the album first came out, but I forgot which. Oh well. I needed to check out the rest of the album anyway. Thank you for the review!

rosie

• ♔ • Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭17,750
Thank you for the great review yooa! I absolutely loved the title track, and the '20cm' was just amazing

Definitely a group I'll be keeping my eyes on :ShockedPar:

Top Bottom