Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭465,359
ALBUM REVIEW: WOO!AH! – “QURIOUS”
Written by: Polaris_Tae
qurious.png

*Disclaimer: This review plus one future scheduled review were each due to be published at an earlier date, however, due to December press commitments and scheduling issues were postponed to early 2021.

woo!ah! debuted in mid-2020 under NV Entertainment with the single album, "Exclamation". The group recently returned during late-November with "QURIOUS". This release came following the recent departure of the groups' youngest member Songyee, who left the group due to currently unknown reasons. Through their newest single album, the group further attempts to establish their teen-crush sound, while also trying to bring new fans into the mix!

woo!ah! is one of about three female rookies that I have been keeping an eye on lately, and is by far my favourite of the three! They are likely the only kpop girl group that I have ever found myself legitimately stanning. The group has slowly made their way up to the top of my bias list alongside long-time favourites such as Rocket Girls 101, BTS & Nu'est despite just having debuted last year! Now with that said, let's get into the review!

Rf0iaRT.png

'Round & Round'

The album opens with the high energy dance track, "Round & Round", our first introduction to the album. The song begins slow, with a sole guitar beat and percussion only to develop into the high tension instrumental that we were expecting once the first chorus begins! The song describes their feelings and hatred towards an unfaithful partner who looks "Round & Round" at other girls who aren't them. We see this through the lyrics, through the metaphor of comparing their confused feelings to the feeling of the push and pull of a relationship; spinning and pulling them round and round like it's no big deal.

This track is probably the most experimental on the album due to its techno-EDM influence. I found the instrumental of "Round & Round" was a fantastic addition! It builds up into a crescendo and uses the techno aspect of its sound to toss you all over the place; in the exact same way that the members display when they sing: "Tell me without making a big deal of it // I don't wanna take it more // stop spinning [me] round & round". I think my favourites vocal-wise within "Round & Round" include Sora's unique vocal tone, which adds a nice colour to the song. NaNa also particularly utilises her powerful voice during the final verse of the track where she belts out, "Because I'm the answer // come to me boy oh ~" Through this, she proves her vocal prowess as one of my favourite new main vocalists of this latest generation of Kpop girl groups. "Round & Round" shows us by just the intro alone, that woo!ah! are not here to play around, but are serious in their relatively new journey from trainees to Kpop idols!

8/10

0l2Zr4K.png

'Bad Girl'

"Bad Girl" is is a high energy release and the lead single of "QURIOUS", and is, in my opinion, their best title to date! Especially when compared to the mixed bag that was their self-titled debut, "woo!ah". We see the group continue with their teen crush concept established from their debut; while also adding exciting elements to the release so that the song doesn't devolve into a total mess. This is accomplished through its perfect utilisation of orchestral hits and consistent sound throughout the track with very few jarring tonal shifts. I felt that the stand-out members for this release included — the now youngest member — Minseo, who shows the rawest potential and NaNa, whose rap has become far less jarring compared to their debut, "woo!ah!". woo!ah!'s teen crush concept is utilised even further than just surface-level aesthetics. We see this in the lyrics of the song where they talk about not conforming to society's standards but look to empower themselves away from the general thought of girls being innocent and pure. They instead wish to do things the way they like and live the way they want where no one's opinion matters but their own. This message, along with the overall positive tone and bright aesthetics of the accompanying music video makes me believe that woo!ah! has succeeded in one-upping their previous release. Gone is the group that presented an overall mixed bag in their self-titled debut "woo!ah!"; as we say hello to the majestic teen crush anthem that is "Bad Girl"!
9/10

Qb8TgmG.jpg

'I Don't Miss U'

"I Don't Miss U" is the final track on "QURIOUS" and is probably my favourite B-side throughout the single-album. The track is a laid back EDM song that talks about how the girls have no regrets about letting go of their ex. This song essentially comes full-circle following the groups' beginning with their somewhat unfaithful love interest in "Round & Round".

We now see woo!ah! discarding their feelings by reassuring not just their ex, but also themselves, that they're ok following the breakup. Stating that they'll never feel like getting back together, as they're happy and satisfied with their current situation. Despite this, the group also reflects on their relationship, stating that their ex made a big mistake by telling them: "Even without you // I don't miss miss u // you made a mistake // big mis-mistake" and that they don't feel any regrets despite what their feelings may have been at the time. In all honesty, I could barely find a fault in this song, as both its instrumentals and vocals were fantastic! While it doesn't quite feel like title-track material, I feel like its probably their best b-side. It also carries through most of the themes established within the previous two tracks. Making "I Don't Miss U", both the perfect b-side, as well as the best song to conclude the album. It wraps up all of the previously established concepts within the album, such as the unfaithfulness found in "Round & Round" and the overarching confidence first seen in "Bad Girl". "I Don't Miss U" hasn't left my playlist since its initial release in November, and likely won't leave it in the foreseeable future!

9/10

sakLKX3.jpg

In Conclusion, woo!ah!'s "QURIOUS" has served as the perfect introduction to the group! "QURIOUS" has gone above and beyond their self-titled debut single-album "woo!ah!". They give us a fantastic follow-up to their May debut. They show us that they've still managed to stay on their feet despite Songyee's departure so early into their careers. All three tracks within "QURIOUS" have blown me away! I hope that woo!ah! can further continue with their current momentum and musical style so I can keep enjoying their music in the years to come!

Artistic Creativity: 8/10
Vocal Quality: 10/10
Music: 8.5/10

9/10

GRAPHICS BY: @yerm

Last edited:

camille

MY | ningmeng Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭139,931
I don't usually like Woo!Ah!'s songs but I fell in love with I Don't Miss U ! It is a great song, really catchy, and I know I will check out their future releases (including side tracks) in case they release another gem like this one

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
Great review. I was listening to their album as I read it.
You are very knowledgable about music. I usually don't come much further than: "I think that beat was good" :D

MedicationHelps87

Bi Racial Ruler Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,500,501
Pronouns
He/Him
Nice review. Ever thought about writing for a music critic page or website?
You so should consider it.

You have the knack for writing in depth and relevant and fascinating pieces.
I like this a lot.

I hope you do this more often.

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭256,350
This album is an improvement compared to their debut.

Bad Girl kept their sound and concept while being better produced than woo!ah!. Both titles tracks have memorable and easy choreo to reproduce
I Don't Miss U could've been a title track, the song is really great quality
Round & Round is a solid b-track

Woo!Ah! is the 2020 rookie I've been keeping an eye closely

Top Bottom