REVIEW Album Review: Your Woman Sleep With Others - "I Examine Myself Three Times A Day"

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600
ALBUM REVIEW: YOUR WOMAN SLEEP WITH OTHERS - "I EXAMINE MYSELF THREE TIMES A DAY"
Written by: BlueNose

your_woman.png

"Your Woman Sleep With Others" is a Taiwanese post-folk band formed in 2017. The group comprises of five members: Ā Zhǎng (vocals and guitar), Shuò Shū (electric guitar), Yuán Zǐ (drums and vocals), Jié Mín (bass and vocal), and Jiā Yíng (cello and vocal). After the release of their debut EP, "Stolen Childhood" (2017), they are finally back with a full album.

'Did it Again'

"Did it Again" functions as a short intro to the album. It’s barely two minutes long and nothing much really goes on. It’s just the vocalists humming and harmonizing together over the soothing instrumental made up of an acoustic guitar and drums. I find it quite calming and easy to listen to.
7/10

'In Your Face'

(translated by grainy)
Right off the bat, "In Your Face" is a lot more exciting with a banging guitar, drums, and surprisingly, a violin. The cello is actually very prominent throughout the album, which is something I don't hear often (outside of ballads). The instrumental-only sections of the song are incredible and they are somehow my favorite parts of it. The lyrics are as exhilarating as the music itself. It speaks from one party’s point of view in a relationship. I feel like the singer is stuck in whatever situation that happened to them because of the line “I couldn't grab the opportunities in my face, I couldn't escape the car coming at me directly”, and it’s affecting other parts of their life. The specific line I pointed out hits very close to home.
<In Your Face>
When the wind blows into my window smoothing away all the creases in the curtains
When rage roots into my heart, will there be a person who can smooth away my feelings?
When the good and bad enters our relationship, sooner or later there'll be problems
When exhaustion corrodes my body, will there be a place that lets me flee from all the problems?
I couldn't grab the opportunities in my face, I couldn't escape the car coming at me directly
When the wind blows into my window smoothing away all the creases in the curtains
When rage roots into your heart, let me smooth away your feelings
I couldn't grab the opportunities in my face, I couldn't escape the car coming at me directly

8/10

'Fishing'

(translated by grainy)
"Fishing" is initially kind of plucky with the click of the drum sticks and the cello that caught my attention immediately. It reminds me of foot taps. The mixing of instruments is powerful in this particular song. Whenever the drum clicks enter the song, it puts me in such a good mood. I feel like this song begins as motivational, but it sinks almost immediately when it starts. The lyrics begin by talking about finding light and maybe an exit. However, in the rest of the song, the light wanes and we see that the person talking has nothing and is stuck in a terrible place. Although the lyrics take a backseat, the song is memorable to me because of the taps in the instrumental.
<Fishing>
In the dark, I see a light, and I think I've found the exit
The light's waning, it's bewildering, how many people have been trapped in this endless road
They've stolen away our shovels
and trapped us in this endless cave
They've stolen away our names
and trapped us in this vapid era
Dried up rivers
Crowded boats
Ignorant people
Fishing hooks

9.5/10

5da814b05e8c6_4598438_1571296432.jpg

'Running on Rooftops'

(translated by grainy)

"Running on Rooftops" opens coolly and has a moody vibe. The guitar and drum arrangement makes me feel a little anxious. I imagine someone actually running on the rooftops in the dead of night. This track specifically gives the electric guitar a moment of glory near the end, featuring it’s own solo. I feel that the song relies heavily on the bass to set the tone, and everything else molds itself into it. This gives the song an interesting flavor. Around 2 minutes and 20 seconds in, the strum of the cello plays in the background. The song then ends the same way it began, slowly dispersing into the next song on the album.
<Running on Rooftops>
We will never understand
What kind of weakness is hidden behind this kind of excuse
The greeting of the dawn's abrupt arrival
An artificial smile, there's a silhouette of a conspiracy
Once again
It's a night that I believe to be beautiful
I stretch arrogantly
Next it's a different world
Numbing my ego
opening a tightly shut window
Oh it's the smell of ideals, the fragrance left behind by the burning out of a state of mind
Oh it's the smell of ideals, the hurt left behind by burning out of a state of mind
They're running on the rooftops with shivering hearts and blistering feet
They're running on the rooftops with shivering hearts and blistering feet
9/10

'Day and Night'

"Day and Night" has no lyrics, similar to "Did It Again". It’s an interlude between the album's tracks. It’s quite mellow and smooth, but it slowly ascends and leads into the next song well.

7/10

'Sleepless Nights and Haunting Memories'

Read the lyrics here (translated by sunflower for Hallyu+)
"Sleepless Nights and Haunting Memories" has a heavier a rock influence compared to the other songs. It’s fast paced and quick in delivery. I think this song lyrically connects to me the most. The wording is straightforward and to the point. This song feels incredibly realistic. Reading the lyrics, I can imagine the story the singer is telling — to be something many have dealt with or something anyone can see if they look around hard enough. Wanting others to notice you, noticing others moving faster and farther ahead of you in life, losing sleep worrying — these are all feelings I think everyone can relate to. Interestingly enough, even though this song's lyrics are unconfident and lonely, the music and arrangement are optimistic and boisterous. The electric guitar shines throughout the whole song, giving it a bit of extra spice.

9.5/10

examine_myself.jpg

'Where is My Ex'

Read the lyrics here (translated by sunflower for Hallyu+)
"Where is My Ex" is the saddest song on the album for me. It’s rather solemn and low key. The song starts with slow harmonization from two of the vocals with only the guitar to back them up. As they go on, the vocals become more prevalent. The lyrics and the song match each other perfectly as the singer and instruments mimic the worried but hopeful lyrics. The song is pretty self-explanatory: the character’s ex is nowhere to be found, but looking at the second section of the song, it sounds more like they miss the person that their lover used to be, as there is someone already laying next to them. It looks most likely that their lover cheated on them, so the woman is no longer their lover but someone they no longer know.

9/10

'Enjoy'

(translated by grainy)
"Enjoy" is the most uplifting song of the album to me. This one is quite long, being over six minutes in length. It is about enjoying what’s in front of you and reminiscing about the good moments in the past. The drum line is so catchy, it's the reason the song is so upbeat and likable to me. The later parts in the song take this pattern and build on it, giving the song a beautiful mix between “comfy” and “exciting”. The guitar and bass float around the drum to create this “feel good” atmosphere. Then, the pace changes to become more sentimental in a short transition. When the violins and electric guitar join in the instrumental and begin to rise, I feel motivated. The instruments reach their climax near the end, and then everything slowly comes to a full stop.
<Enjoy>
Quick, take away some of my sadness
Don't let me have too much
Those days full of contentment
When we had unbridled freedom
Look at how dazed my face was
Thinking what i had was enough
There was you and me
Happiness and sadness, those days were all written on our faces
We didn't need to hide our feelings
Quick, take away some of my sadness
Don't let me have too much
When we had unbridled freedom
Look at how dazed my face was
Thinking what i had was enough
There was you and me
We didn't need to, didn't need to

9/10

my_ex.jpg

'Minutes Till Dawn'

(translated by grainy)
"Minutes Till Dawn" is a lot more relaxed compared to "Enjoy". The lyrics are light in amount, but they carry a lot of meaning. The instruments are suave; they neither do too much nor too little and utilize small details to keep things interesting. I like the tone the bass set for the song, it gives a darker vibe and reminds me of nighttime. While other instruments play louder, the bass is quietly controlling things. There’s this pretty strumming sound during some parts of the song that is very bouncy, it stands out against the rest of the song to me because it gives the song a forest feel for a moment whenever it shows up, and then the song goes back to feeling like a dark night.
<Minutes Till Dawn>
Hand (your) memories over to time to settle
Hand (your) time over to the world for harmonizing
Hand us over to the world to have the wool pulled over our eyes
Hand us over to the world for selection
Just wait a little longer, and the day will dawn
The sun rose before you closed your eyes
Just wait a little longer, and the day will dawn
Things have already happened before you closed your eyes

8.5/10

'We Need to Live a Regular Life'

(translated by grainy)
This is the final song on the album, and it carries on with the serene feeling that the previous song had. "We Need To Live a Regular Life" is about the hardships one faces after growing up. “Life after youth is like a cliff. Once you fall, you don't stop”, this line spoke to me, because it’s somewhat true. Things get a lot harder once you are no longer a minor, as you have to make your own decisions and do things on your own. However, time doesn’t stop. There’s nothing we can do to stop our incoming adulthood, so the only choice is to embrace it and push through. This song has one of my favorite instrumentals from the album. There are quiet moments and there are also finely detailed ones where there is a lot going on with the instruments but it does not sound messy. The execution is beautiful and I think it captures the idea that the band was going for about life.
<We Need to Live a Regular Life>
In the middle of the night, I wake up
Alone, I walk over to the balcony
Light up a cigarette to extinguish my impatience
Life after youth
is like a cliff
Once you fall, you don't stop
If you don't have any excuses
Please embrace this kind of life
A regular life will lead you to the end
The days pass by a little quickly
I continue pretending to be free
Light up a cigarette to chase away my listlessness
Life after youth
is like a cliff
Life after youth
is like a cliff

9.75/10

8c76c5e8cef742c0b0d497cc2fca5a89.jpeg

Even though the album is mostly instrumental-focused, and the lyrics are sparse and far between, I believe the lyrics still shined. I feel like the whole album was able take the saying “less is more” to heart and utilized it well in terms of lyricism. Most of the songs carry a heavy topic, but I wasn't weighed down by them. It was refreshing because I don’t normally listen to music within this sphere.

Artistic Creativity: 10/10
Vocal Quality: 8/10
Music: 8.625/10

8.875/10

PROOFREAD BY: ROSEYCHU & WITHJUYEON
GRAPHICS BY: AKIDOKI

OutroTearTheFirst

Oh, I'm sorry, but nobody does evil the way I do! Fourth Place HoE
Reaction score
On a picnic with gasppepe eating nugget peepo
Plus Coins
⨭30,050
Pronouns
She/Her
What a name :Slime:
I really like that instrumental section in 'we need to live a regular life'!
'Sleepless Nights and Haunting Memories' is the other one i listened to and it's definitely something i could see myself listening to often! I'll check out the other songs soon!
Thanks for the review!​

Top Bottom