sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
ANIME REVIEW: "THAT TIME I GOT REINCARNATED INTO A SLIME"
Written by: meltrosz

slime-twitter.png

"It took three months to write but it's finally here! A review on an anime about the most powerful slime ever and how he conquered the world"

"That Time I Got Reincarnated Into A Slime" (Hepburn: Tensei Shitara Suraimu Datta Ken), or more commonly known among anime fans as "Tensura", is a 2018 anime series based on the light novel series and manga of the same name. It tells the adventures of Satoru Mikami who was reincarnated into a fantasy world as a slime, after he was stabbed by a robber. While he was on his deathbed, lamenting his final regrets in life, he hears a voice that responds to whatever he says. Unbeknownst to him, the voice is giving him abilities based on what he speaks—when he said he felt hot due to the blood, the voice gave him heat resistance; or when he said that he felt cold due to his death, the voice gave him cold resistance; when he lamented his loss of blood, the voice gave him a body that does not need blood. In the end, due to the huge amount of abilities he received, he ended up with a body made of slime.

latest.png

There are three important settings in the story. The first one is the Sealed Cave, where Satoru/Rimuru found himself in after he reincarnated. Although the series only used it for an episode and a half, it is the place where Rimuru met Veldora and the gears of fate were set into motion. The second is the Jura Forest, where the majority of the episodes take place in. This is where Rimuru first started building his influence and power by creating the Tempest, establishing the Jura Forest Alliance, and befriending Demon Lord Milim. This is also where he met Shizu, another character who affected Rimuru's destiny. The third place of interest is the Kingdom of Ingrassia, where Rimuru traveled to so he could fulfill his promise to Shizu. Here, he met the latter's students, most especially Chloe O'Bell. Although not much information was given about Chloe, through mysterious events and dialogues, viewers can infer that she is a very important character in the story.

unknown.png

Unlike many other shonen anime, Rimuru does not go from being weak to strong. Right from the start, he is a very powerful creature who has an indestructible body and can consume anything (including other monsters) and copy their abilities. Nevertheless, his enemies constantly underestimate him—just like any other regular shonen main character—due to his appearance as a cute slime, which is known to be the weakest monster of all. He gains a human body later on, which he prefers to use since he used to be human and also to avoid being belittled by others. He becomes famous after he conquers the forest and sets up his territory, so no one dares to belittle him anymore.

Although he barely appeared in the series, Veldora Tempest is still one of the main characters and will probably rise to the center stage in the future. That is evident from how the series would show him from time to time as if reminding viewers of his existence. Right from the start, he was also introduced as a very powerful character that "The Hero" can only seal up. Furthermore, it was his disappearance that caused all the factions—within and around the Jura Forest—to make their moves. Therefore, it can be seen how instrumental he is to the story.

An interesting fact about the series is that many important characters such as Veldora, Shizu, and Chloe were not given a lot of screentime. Nevertheless, with the bit of information given to the viewers, we can still sense their significance to the story. This shows how well the series was able to foreshadow future events and also execute the few scenes the characters were in. Although they were limited, those scenes were epic enough to be retained in the memory of the viewers.

unknown.png

"Tensura" is one of the best animes in an era where most series are composed of twelve episodes with a rushed storyline. It consists of twenty-four episodes—twice as much as a regular anime—which gives it enough time to develop the characters and the plot. Although I wish there were more, I never felt that the series lacked anything in regards to the plot. Everything progressed smoothly and logically, unlike other series adapted from light novels which sometimes skip some events to fit their twelve-episode timeframe. I have never read the light novel for "Tensura", so I do not know if it did skip events, but there was no hole in the progression of the story. Everything made sense.

Admittedly, the later parts of the series, when Rimuru became a teacher, were stale. There weren't many exciting events going on compared to the first half of the series. However, after reading some spoilers about the light novel, those do turn out to be important in building up future events. It has been announced that "Tensura" will be getting a second season, therefore it can be seen how those events influence the future. It was a risky move by the director since if the series had not been approved for a second season, they would have ended up with an anime which had a good start but finished badly with a lot of questions.

unknown.png

Overall, I think "Tensura" is one of—if not the best—anime released in recent times. From the characters to the pacing, everything was done perfectly. It didn't feel too slow nor too fast, and the viewers were still able to understand many things even without them being explicitly shown. My favorite part about the series is how it did not feel rushed, and we were able to watch Rimuru's adventures very closely without missing anything. All the fight scenes were very exciting and action-packed as well. If you're a big fan of shonen anime, then you should definitely watch this series.

Story: 9.5/10
Characters: 10/10
Music: 9/10
Animation: 10/10

Overall Rating: 9.6/10

yooamygirls

how deep is your love VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭739,810
This sounds really interesting! I was really itching for a new manga/anime to check out, thanks for the recommendation! Sounds like a lot of fun!

sexy cutie

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
This sounds really interesting! I was really itching for a new manga/anime to check out, thanks for the recommendation! Sounds like a lot of fun!
glad you liked it! :peepopbirthday: i really enjoyed it a lot so i hope you will to

soozie

✴︎ Events
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,733
ooh this sounds really interesting! i’ll check it out. thanks for the review melt :wow:

Chiharu

The Worst Girl in the World Events VIP+ Tenth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,050,232
This is on my list of anime to watch, but I was actually torn between watching the anime and reading the manga.

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
To be honest, I was a bit sick of Isekai style animes. However, I enjoyed this one. It's an easy watch to say the least.

sexy cutie

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
This is on my list of anime to watch, but I was actually torn between watching the anime and reading the manga.
i haven't seen the manga either but i can say for the anime it's worth a watch
To be honest, I was a bit sick of Isekai style animes. However, I enjoyed this one. It's an easy watch to say the least.
glad you enjoyed watching it. it's one of my favorite recent anime
I enjoyed it but last episodes were hmmmm just unnessesary
sadly i have to agree with you about the Ingrassia arc. They should've probably used that as start of season 2 or something

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600
i'll have to watch it sometime soon, its been a while since i saw an anime that wasnt sailor moon

Top Bottom