Anybody else feel this way about their older relatives?

JNT-LEGGO

5XID♥ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭80,325
Dear older people

1. Stop asking me about school/work. If it's going well, it's probably boring. If it's not going well, then it's probably depressing. Either way, I don't wanna talk about it! When I'm not at school/work, the last thing I wanna do is discuss school/work.

2. Stop asking me about my love life. Again it's probably depressing and something I really don't wanna discuss with you, because it's weird. My heart goes out to closeted people on this one.

3. Quit going on and on about how crappy music and TV is today, when half of "your" stuff is trash too. In fact, if you wanna make a connection with me, ask me about the movies, tv shows and music I like, and other interests I have. You know, the stuff that brings me JOY in my life and not stress.

Thank you

Grape Soda

SKZ Simp 🍇🍇🍇 Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,180,125
Preach honey.
-Hows school? I heard you dropped out its kinda late for you to be going back.
-Old people in my family: why are all of these gay people on tv now, the devil taken ova save us lawd plz *starts chanting in tongues*
-The music is so sexual these days all they do is talk about sex.
-When I was your age I was married with my own house at 19

Ronnie Mars

Mamamoo will continue~
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭349,550
Pronouns
He/They
This is basically the problem during holiday gathering.

Like, the older relatives be asking things like, "When are you going to get married? When will you graduate? When will you have kids?"
All of this endless, privacy-invading foolishness needs to stop. It's ruining the mood for family gathering. I myself hate to go to family gatherings now since I know they'll be asking such silly questions.

denizen mars

Lesbian Potato Goddess
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,250
Yes
It's not even malicious in nature, it's just like they don't know how to make conversation other than these things. Although I've met people my own age who are the same

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
I'm joining the old people group soon, so dear younger relatives:

- I'm old. Please, put up with me.

Egoísta

Raised from the Dead Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭320,881
Pronouns
They/Them
School and work are probably because they don’t know what else to talk about after not seeing you for so long tho

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
This is all pretty universal stuff that has happened for decades. Every gen thinks it's media is better than all other media, specially the older they get. I see Millenials doing this all the time towards Zoomers.

Now about the school and love life thing. Obviously there are differences between cases, but most of the time they are just being polite and trying to make conversation but have no idea what to talk to you about. You have to realize too that the person is not doing to be impolite but rather awkwardly trying to talk to you. Most cases they just care about you but don't have a close relationship with you so they have no idea what to ask. If you care about them back try bringing up different topics, ask about them, or something else. If you don't care about them just either say you would rather not talk about it or ignore it because it isn't a big deal. Sometimes also they don't really care but are just trying to break the silence. In either case it is not a big deal they ask questions you don't want to talk about. If it is a big issue that brings you great deal of stress there is no way they could have known so it is understandable. These are completely normal questions as well as it would be completely normal for you to tell them they are not subjects you are comfortable sharing. Again not saying there aren't people that bring up topics to bring you down, but those are the overwhelming minority.

Top Bottom