Are anyone angry about an act's K-O-R-E-A-N popularity skews its worldwide popularity?

yknok

Nugu Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭273,220
The gallup polls are taken among the general pop of Korea, so the opinion of OLDER people in Korea, who dont' give a shit about KPop, heavily skews the polls.

The older people have selected people like Im Changjung (he styles himself Lim Changjung, but his last name in Chinese is 'Ren', not 'Lin' which is 'Lim' in Korean. So I call him Im changjung.) , Yoon Jongshin, and probably Song Gain this year.

These folks are NOT relevant outside of Korea but fans outside of it think they are more popular than their faves, which weaken their support to their KPop faves.

IU , for many years, was the only younger Kpop singer who actively courted the older pop, which is why she gave an impression to the rest of the world that she was as popular as Exo and BTS, when her albums (90,000 for Palette) sold significantly less than both BTS and Exo.

Examples like that are legion. Unfortunately, music shows producers treat the domesticists and internationalists equally, because they care about immediate profits in K-O-R-E-A.

I personally think the Koreans don't deserve the success of Kpop. Especially people over 40. I don't like their attitude of treating acts which will NEVER be popular outside of Korea equally with those who succeed in the overseas.

rosie

• ♔ • Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭17,750
Isn't Gallup supposed to be a measure for Korean popularity, not global popularity? The older generation are a part of the Korean population. I wouldn't negate them so easily. If international fans are misinterpreting Gallup for some international popularity poll, it's on them.

Whisky23

"Kind but not soft" Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,200
Pronouns
Stud/Studmuffin
I started writing a witty retort, but deleted it, realizing that this gif will suffice.

CharmingSplendidEasternglasslizard-size_restricted.gif

Echo

𝕎𝕠𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕝𝕒𝕟𝕕 Early Supporters
Reaction score
⨭23,441
Don't deserve? what benefit does kpop have for them :TzuyuKek:

DramaDramaDrama

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭46,975
IU , for many years, was the only younger Kpop singer who actively courted the older pop, which is why she gave an impression to the rest of the world that she was as popular as Exo and BTS, when her albums (90,000 for Palette) sold significantly less than both BTS and Ex

Examples like that are legion. Unfortunately, music shows producers treat the domesticists and internationalists equally, because they care about immediate profits in K-O-R-E-A.

I personally think the Koreans don't deserve the success of Kpop. Especially people over 40. I don't like their attitude of treating acts which will NEVER be popular outside of Korea equally with those who succeed in the overseas.

IU has huge followers for being solo.
And her fame grew a lot in kpop ifans.
2nd gen fans hated her for hug and kiss the oppas.
But 3rd gen fans respect her as musician.
Add the success of her dramas.
The old people are part of gp too.
But I agree SK never appreciate as kpop is the face of Korea around the world.

yknok

Nugu Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭273,220
Yes, and the older generations are doing their utmost to undermine Kpop.

Isn't Gallup supposed to be a measure for Korean popularity, not global popularity? The older generation are a part of the Korean population. I wouldn't negate them so easily. If international fans are misinterpreting Gallup for some international popularity poll, it's on them.

yknok

Nugu Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭273,220
IU is thankfully taking long hiatuses from singing, but the older people now migrate to people like Song Gain. They want anyone to fight off KPop; their malice knows no end.

IU has huge followers for being solo.
And her fame grew a lot in kpop ifans.
2nd gen fans hated her for hug and kiss the oppas.
But 3rd gen fans respect her as musician.
Add the success of her dramas.
The old people are part of gp too.
But I agree SK never appreciate as kpop is the face of Korea around the world.

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
Maybe what you want is something akin to Cool Japan but for Kpop and done internally as well. If left to regular market forces, I think what you see in SK is natural. Most soft power projection from SK is from dramas and these would feature more traditional music than kpop I imagine. Even Cool Japan is criticized as unfocused, so dunno if more organized effort to improve Kpop internal image is necessary per se. I think SK GP is aware of Kpop (or specific Kpop acts) as a force that improves the image of SK externally.

Most of internal public opinion makers are usually older around the age group you seem to despite. Also, they are the ones who care about these as well.

Younger generation is more casual and seek less formal forms of entertainment and more tailored for their taste. Mainstream mediums are very slow to cater these.

Should the government step in (after all they control the public channels and most of their public is the older generation)? I don't quite see them promoting the old guard per se. It seems pretty market driven. Of course taking the seniority and internal preference of executives, I don't see it as manipulative.

It seems silly to try match GP expectation with international expectation. Korean promoters will promote Kpop and it seems fine.

Even efforts like Cool Japan didn't change the internal view on otaku culture. It was mostly gradual. I guess SK older generation treats Kpop fanatics similarly as Japanese GP treats otaku which is analogous to somewhat specific public tastes like gamers during the 90s in the US. For them these singers are there to stay while Kpop acts are ephemeral. Every one should be treated equally despite their contribution internally or externally.

I mean it seems a bit too personal of a take of this, don't you think? Should I despite Japanese older GP just because they don't treat anime industry fairly as they are a big promoter of Japanese culture?

Echo

𝕎𝕠𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕝𝕒𝕟𝕕 Early Supporters
Reaction score
⨭23,441
The very fact that Korea is becoming the center of the world's pop culture should benefit Korea, but these people continue to live in their benighted ways
american pop being popular doesn't help people who don't listen to it so why would korean pop do so? not everyone benefits from concert tourism

Top Bottom