Baekhyun's 2nd album is coming and will be different from CITY LIGHTS

Flooffy Lights

R&Baek Village Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭56,545
style_5e9acb17940a8.jpg

Q. We heard that you will be realizing your solo album soon. But due to the current situation, there will be some changes made to the schedules, it might be a little vague now.

Baekhyun: It's definitely different from the Schedules (planned), many Activities will have to be cancelled. However, it isn't easy for everyone, it's been really tough for many.
There are still some parts of the Album which have not been completed but I will show a different side of me as compared to my previous Solo Album. Everyone can look forward to it.

Q. Between doing what you excel in and doing what you like, which did Baekhyun lean more towards during his 1st solo?

Baekhyun: Matching what i liked at the start, while practicing and studying. It slowly moves to become something I am good at. I'm always like that. Rather that doing what I'm good at. I do what I like. There's practically nothing one is good at right from the start. Starting with "This is too hard. But I like it", when you get familiar at some point in time and master, it's exhilarating.

Q. Music wise, was there a period of time where you fell into a slump?

Baekhyun: When EXO first started activities, the time when we crossed from 'MAMA' to 'Wolf'. When debut happened and I suddenly received a lot of attention, then singing became scary for me who was confident. I kept doubting it, "My singing must sound weird", that was when I started to have interest in vocalization and studied a lot.

While the fear disappeared bit and bit, I was able to predict how my voice would sound when doing lives. How I should do it this time round, how can I change it up, and if there was a tone that I liked, I would work hard to apply it on other songs.

Q. If it's Baekhyunnie, even when your confidence was crushed, at some point in time it slowly built up again right?

Baekhyun: That's right, in a way. And even such, I'm not the type to get killed if people come to crush me.

Baekhyun: My confidence dropped a lot during the times as a trainee. As there are many people who are amazing, there was no way for me to show my singing. Advancing into a professional, I can't be careless even for a moment, I have to perfect every little detail. Leaving the dimension where singing is my skill, there is a need for me to rethink Music.

Q. Do you have a vocalist whose vocals you covet?

Baekhyun: Kim Bumsoo sunbaenim. I'm currently reorganizing my vocals, starting from breathing methods, vocalization, I'm changing it all up. And thus, I've been pondering lots over vocals. When listening to Kim Bumsoo sunbaenim's songs, you can feel a sense of stability. I think of feelings of stability to mean that people can freely listen to it, enjoy it. And as the performer, the ability of the person singing it to choose this or that way to freely expresses what they wish to show off. Sunbaenim's sense of stability is strong, his voice is good too and he uses different types of sounds. There are many points to learn from.

Q. It mustn't be an easy process to change not just one aspect of your vocals but changing the entire style from the base.

Baekhyun: It isn't easy. I've been learning from my vocal instructor for around a year now, thankfully, he's like that of a savior to me. He was introduced to me by Singer Im Hanbyul Hyung. He doesn't only teach vocal skills, but also like that of a doctor that is really reassuring and holistically checks if I'm not feeling too good anywhere. Really an adult.

Q. I feel that you are someone that is able to motivate yourself.

Baekhyun: I keep searching for my weaknesses. Be it when on stage or when interacting with others, I always think if I have any problems. I'm always thinking of questions like "Why am I making such mistakes on this move?", "Is it because I can't focus? If not, is it because I haven't practiced this move enough?"

Q. What's necessary for one to live a long and sustainable career?

Baekhyun: Firstly, I think it's essential that you definitely have to find what you really wish to do. If you don't have that process and just follow other people's vibes, it's easy to become an artist that gets left behind. If you look at idols who've gone a long way, no matter what, they have their own distinctive colors. I can also soon live as a 2nd Baekhyun. And that's a life where I can succeed with just my voice.

Q. What wishes/goals did you have for City Lights during its production?

Baekhyun: Since the past, I've wanted to do songs with the City Pop feel. And there is great meaning in filling an album with my voice. Even if people just come to know "Baekhyun has such a voice" that's be great, it's a relief that there were great results.

Q. What do you mean by good results (for City Lights)?

Baekhyun: I received lots of positive feedback. That there are people who knows (acknowledged) how hard I worked for the voice and feelings I wished to express. Thanks to the fans, the sales for the album was great too.

Q. When i first saw that the title of the main track was 'UN Village', I was a little taken aback. It's like a luxurious version of Samsung Raemian*. However, upon listening to it, "luxurious" seemed to be the keyword that passes through the entire album. It seems that on stage too, you didn't want a certain edge (fixed look) and show a laid back and casual appeal.

Baekhyun: Oh that’s very accurate. As EXO has strong themes and shows powerful stages, during my solo, I wanted to show a slightly different look. Rather than intense, I wanted to bring out that sort of laid backness, my weapon that allows you to focus a little more on my voice.

*Samsung’s brand of C&T Apartments, Korea’s Top Ranked Apartment Choice

Q. What kind of voice would you like to express?

Baekhyun: Somewhat dream-like (smiles). Expressing sexiness with just my voice alone?

Q. If you were to introduce the features of Baekhyun's vocals, how would you go about it?

Baekhyun: Soft but solid/strong

Q. You have everything good.. (All the good qualities in his voice)

Baekhyun: Huehue, though I don't have a 100% beautiful voice, during medium and low notes, the softness oozes out. That's why it's a strength to be able to challenge various genres instead of being limited to just one.

Q. Although you're a vocalist, how did it feel at the beginning knowing you'll have to digest difficult choreographies too?

Baekhyun: I have such greed, "I don't want to be remembered as someone who can't dance". Thankfully, the members stayed late into the night to teach Chen and I who joined later. Kai for Chen and Sehunnie for me. While competing who teaches better and who remembers (choreo) better, we progressed a lot in the times we spent practicing together.

Q. Looking back, after debut, was there a period where you progressed rapidly?

Baekhyun: Before and after 'Monster' in the Summer of 2016, my performance skills definitely improved. Choreographer Shim Jaewon hyung added my solo dance into the first parts of the song.

Originally it wasn't to the extent of a solo dance but Hyung said "Baekhyunnie, you too have the talent for dancing. It'll work if you work a little harder, let's grow your confidence now", choreographed a solo dance and also encouraged me. From then I thought "I'm not someone who can't dance", and when doing the solo dance, I had confidence in expressing myself with my body. It was the start of me freely expressing things I didn't know before or was suppressed.

Q. Before EXO, when did you first vaguely feel that you had a similar talent?

Baekhyun: When I went to a Karaoke for the first time in my life, was it around 6th grade?

Q. What song did you sing?

Baekhyun: It was a song by Yarn. What song was it ... Can I search for a bit?

Q. If it's Yarn, that's one of the High Notes Readers where many guys crumble at Karaoke rooms.

Baekhyun: That's right! Yarn's 'Run'. Oddly, for this song, when I just naturally sing according to how I hard it, their reactions were really big! From then on I thought "Oh? Even though I've never learnt how to sing, everyone says I'm good at it? So this is my strength!" and started to like singing.

Q. How big of a desire/ambition does Baekhyun have in him?

Baekhyun: Ambition, of course there is. "When one pulls a sword, he at least has to cut a radish"* However, I'm not the kind to have a fighting spirit so much as to reach this level or achieve this goal. I don't wish to have an ambition so great that it eats myself up. Smiling and being happy (while living) is the most important to me. Going along with that, perhaps to the level of "It would be great if they see that I've diligently worked hard"? Even if just a little of how much I've worked hard will shines, and what is it if I show off a little of what I'm good at? Huehue.

*Korean idiom meaning that you at least have to try something once you start on it.

c: 1, 2, 3

style_5e9acb49cb400.jpg

style_5e9acb1155ee1.jpg

Dragon of the West

Iroh VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭797,050
Different from City Lights? That's quite surprising as I felt that it was the perfect album to show Baekhyun's music style so it'll be interesting seeing what his comeback sounds like

No.1

Idol Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭292,855
Different from City Lights? That's quite surprising as I felt that it was the perfect album to show Baekhyun's music style so it'll be interesting seeing what his comeback sounds like
I really liked City Lights, but I appreciate that he is going for varying sounds. Lbh, Bacon could release a basic ass ballad album and he would still be massively succesful; I like that he is making the effort to veer away from the generic and stand out while also releasing good music.

Flooffy Lights

R&Baek Village Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭56,545

you never know, we all expected him to debut with a ballad album but he surprised us with City Lights. he may surprise us again.
idk if he will ever top City Lights, but i appreciate that he doesn't recycle sound and is exploring new things.

yongfilms

Taeyong wanna talk to some BOYS
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,926,407
Pronouns
he but not him cuz i'll never be lee taeyong </3
Oh I'm so interested in this :omgwhat:

Mina

ᴊᴜɴɢᴡᴏᴏ ʙᴇʏᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏғ ᴋᴏʀᴇᴀ Shop Lead Awards
Reaction score
Plus Coins