RUMOR BBC KPOP Documentary suddenly dropped GFRIEND, focuses on Lee Sooman and SuperM + Is this the work of SM mediaplay?

Is this just a coincidence or is SM working mediaplay?

• It's a coincidence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tseunhadoku

Nation's Little Sister
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,830
The previous reported October Kpop documentary from UK News Channel, BBC, has just mysteriously caused issues after supposedly dropping girl group Gfriend from the interview and replaced them with recently debuted boy group, SuperM. Many buddies took to twitter after a description for the interview focused soley on SuperM and Lee Sooman.

posted July 2019

Up until now, it has been heavily reported that the Kpop Documentary was suppose to be an interview of girl group, Gfriend, and SM CEO, Lee Sooman, with no reports of any additions or withdraws or even focusing on any other groups period. It was even reported by Source Music that Gfriend had already done the interview most likely in July. Although the interview was slated for September, there was no reports as time pasted until it was finally being released in October, but with Gfriend seeming to be backseated entirely and SuperM become the focus out of nowhere.

EGfVQ-dU0AA7zoH.jpg

My Thoughts:

As a buddy, I 100% do not know how the hell SuperM became a vocal point in this documentary unless Sooman shoved them into there last minute. Gfriend has not been dropped, but I'm upset that they were headlining this even Korea was reporting about this on the news but now they seem to be completely ignored to hype mainly SM and for some reason BTS is all over this description despite not being in it. It's the same project to so what in the world happened? I can't help, but to feel like SM is mediaplaying really hard like when this interview was resported,
SuperM was reported for debut in August and even more suspicious Source Music had announced to have become a subsidairy of Bighit Entertainment late July after the documentary was announced. I've seen some SuperM fans claim it was never solely about Gfriend, but it was also not about SuperM especially when they weren't revealed at any point after their confirmed existance yet they seem to be the main group of focus so what now? If there were more being interviewed especially a SM group I'm pretty sure the media would had said it well after they were revealed.

It's just really obvious especially with the mentioning of BTS as if SuperM is their biggest threat like remember NCT being mediaplayed and compared to BTS? That's all I'm seeing right now and I would usely go "I could be wrong" but this is SM we are talking about.

I refuse to look past this, but what do you guys think about this?​

Last edited:

BlessMeAchoo

Excuse My Charisma
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭201,500
It wouldn't surprise me if it was SM's doing tbh.
SM shouldn't play dirty because the boys are the ones who end up getting hate over it...

Sergel

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭59,885
I was wondering where the interview was since it was supposed to come out last month. I hope we still see a bit of Gfriend though since I was looking forward to it.

Jibang

Sowon ♥️ Yerin ♥️ Eunha ♥️ Yuju ♥️ SinB ♥️ Umji ♥️ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭48,050
A lot of such 'documentaries' are one-sided, focusing only on the negatives just for ratings. I hope I'm wrong but I honestly don't mind if Gfriend doesn't feature in this.

Last edited:

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
It's fine to add about SuperM and SM latest moves in the market as it is interesting by itself, but Kpop is more than BTS and SuperM and the documentary wouldn't feel complete without a proper cover of the gg part of it. Dunno, I have to watch it and see how bad it was edited.

I was kinda looking forward for this documentary, but if they just focus too much on the bg part, it won't be as interesting for me.

Whisky23

"Kind but not soft" Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,200
Pronouns
Stud/Studmuffin
If given a choice between headlining a documentary with a story about a kpop GG that isn't as well known in the West, vs a story about SuperM, the so-called Avengers of Kpop, that is currently being heavily promoted in the by the most referenced Kpop agency, I'm pretty sure most documentary producers would jump on the latter. Did some money change hands to help SM mediaplay their new group? Maybe. But any storyline about 'x' versus BTS is probably an easy sell anyway.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what angle the BBC documentary will take. For me, I'll judge it as being worth taking a look if the guy asks LSM about his tax evasion/embezzlement conviction, or about SM's slave contracts.

Astro

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,630,200
I’m sorry but it’s just so funny to me that sm/capitol are spending so much money in America for this group to rival bts even though they aren’t gonna be successful in terms of public recognition

superm will do well in sales I assume but tell me in a year if I ask a random person on the street have they heard of bts and they probably say yes and say no when asked about superm

zai

HIP HOP RAPPER Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭114,790
well my parents once said 'money is everything' kinda true rofl. sucks to be gfriend though

yooamygirls

how deep is your love VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭739,810
hmmmm well I wouldn't be surprised with how much push SuperM has been getting in the U.S. The past few days literally all reddit ads have been about SuperM lol. I love the boys but SM's really doing the utmost and I don't think they care if they have to step on a few groups in the way.

Top Bottom