BiSH receives invitation to the 72nd "Kōhaku Uta Gassen" festival, Japan's biggest music show, is the group first appareance!

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,429,625

excellent news, from their collaborations with major acts to their ranking in popularity charts, i knew this was going to be the year,
they work so hard and despite the ongoing pandemic the group hasn't stopped activities for a single day, i'm glad to see them being rewarded

when BiSH debuted they were a small act under a tiny indie label, they would perform in no name venues for maybe a dozen of people,
absolutely no one was expecting them to become popular in any way let alone becoming one of Japan's biggest girl groups right now

Last edited:

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,429,625
Congrats!
I saw rumors that they'd been invited yesterday
honestly i wasn't expecting them to get an invite,

another surprise is that AKB48 wasn't invited for the 2nd year in a row, i don't really follow them but didn't they have a really good year? i read that if you stop getting invited once you probably are never getting in again, they are still pretty popular so i wonder if that's going to end hurting Kohaku more than AKB

didn't Momoiro Clover stopped going to Kohaku and instead started their own year end show? something like that could happen

good thing Yuki Kashiwagi is now a BiSH member :sanapray:

something off topic but still interesting

the band DISH also got invited for the first time, they are on the white team while BiSH are on the red, DISH are not part of Wack but both groups have a lot of history together, both in their public and private life, the first months after discovering BiSH i wasn't sure if they were supposed to be twin groups or what

just an interesting coincidence

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
honestly i wasn't expecting them to get an invite,

another surprise is that AKB48 wasn't invited for the 2nd year in a row, i don't really follow them but didn't they have a really good year? i read that if you stop getting invited once you probably are never getting in again, they are still pretty popular so i wonder if that's going to end hurting Kohaku more than AKB

didn't Momoiro Clover stopped going to Kohaku and instead started their own year end show? something like that could happen

good thing Yuki Kashiwagi is now a BiSH member :sanapray:

something off topic but still interesting

the band DISH also got invited for the first time, they are on the white team while BiSH are on the red, DISH are not part of Wack but both groups have a lot of history together, both in their public and private life, the first months after discovering BiSH i wasn't sure if they were supposed to be twin groups or what

just an interesting coincidence

I'm not sure what decides if an artist makes an appearance or not. I think it's a mix of popularity, connections, politics and diversity. Music shows are similar but maybe don't care as much about having a diverse line-up. You can get back on Kohaku but it's not that likely. The people who do the selection have their favorites and they rarely change. I think it's really unfortunate, it makes the show more boring than it should be.

I don't know if AKB will do their own thing. Maybe they will, but I think they should send some groups/units to Momoiro Uta Gassen instead. Give me Coco Natsu centered by Umeyama Cocona.

Here's my thoughts on some of the artists.

AKB
I don't know if AKB had a good year but they usually get good ratings on Kohaku and many missed them last year. AKB used to have an automatic ticket to Kohaku, music shows and Japan Record Awards even after their popularity dropped. Their high sales and the industry connections (Aki-P) made sure they always had a place despite their damaged reputation. Aki-P could pull strings and their record label and the music industry in general would push them as every new AKB fan spends more than fans of most other artists.

AKB were probably dropped due to Hinatazaka's increased popularity. Four 48/46 groups might be too much. By replacing AKB with Hinatazaka Aki-P still has 3 groups there. AKB might be more famous but Hinatazaka has a cleaner reputation + are new.

BiSH
I think they were on the edge of being called both last year and this year. They have good popularity and are different to the other acts. I don't know about Watanabe's connections but his collaborations with the 48-groups probably helped both with PR and networking. Another key difference with last year is that Babymetal isn't there this time. Keyakizaka are also no more. So BiSH stands alone with a dark/edgy image among popular acts.

Little Glee Monster
I'm surprised that they aren't on Kohaku this year. They seemed like a Kohaku favorite who got invited every year because they wanted a vocal group. I think it's good that they're not on this year.

Perfume
They're on every year. They're popular enough to merit their spot but I don't think they or any artist should be an auto-include.

Mone
Isn't she popular as an actress? I don't understand this choice.

Tokyo Jihen
They shouldn't be on Kohaku

DISH//
Their song Neko was a massive hit last year. Better late than never? I was very surprised that they weren't on the previous Kohaku.

Top Bottom