[Business Times] WJSN Beats BLACKPINK And TWICE As Most Influential Globally Kpop Female Group In KPopstarz Awards

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
WJSN Beats BLACKPINK And TWICE As Most Influential Globally Kpop Female Group In KPopstarz Awards

Source: Business Times

Jess Rapir

wjsn-beat-blackpink-mamamoo-and-twice-as-most-influential-globally-kpop-female-group-photo-by-wikimedia-commons.jpg

WJSN beat BLACKPINK, MAMAMOO, and TWICE as Most Influential Globally Kpop Female Group.
Photo by 미의 기준/Wikimedia Commons (Photo: 미의 기준 [CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0)])

Many K-pop fans were surprised when Korean female group WJSN emerged as the Most Influential Globally Kpop Female Group winner in the recently concluded 2019 KPopstarz Awards. The group took home the title against other popular female groups such as BLACKPINK, TWICE, and MAMAMOO.

In the fan vote-based poll, WJSN got a total of more than 40,000 votes, followed by BLACKPINK with almost 30,000, and MAMAMOO 21,390 votes. Netizens shared their thoughts about how the 13-member group beat the other more popular groups.

Many fans credited WJSN's win at the 2019 KPopstarz Awards to the group's huge fanbase in China. The group is very popular in China. KPopstarz Awards is a Chinese award-giving body.

Some noted that WJSN, also known as Cosmic Girls, has three Chinese members: Mei Qi, Xuan Yi, and Cheng Xiao. Both Mei Qi and Xuan Yi also participated in the Chinese version of survival show, Produce 101, in 2018. Mei Qi finished first in the competition while Xuan Yi ranked second.

These made them members of the girl group Rocket Girls 101, which is like the IZ*ONE of South Korea. Rocket Girls 101 released their first EP, Collide, in September 2018 and their first studio album, The Wind, in June 2019.

However, the three Chinese members of WSJN are not the only popular in the group. The entire Cosmic Girls has a huge following, not only in China but also in South Korea and Japan.

The group had their first-ever concert tour in Japan in August 2019. The group performed for their fans in Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya during their WJSN 1st Mini Live 2019 "Would You Like?" Zepp Tour.

WJSN debuted in February 2016 with 12 members. The members were divided into four sub-units. A year later, Starship Entertainment confirmed that I.O.I member Yoo Yeon Jung would be joining the group. WJSN released, The Secret, their first album as 13 members in August 2016.

Their debut year was huge for the group. They were able to release two mini-albums in 2016. They also received recognition from reputable award-giving bodies.

The group won the Rising Star Award at the Asia Artist Awards in 2016. WSJN also got both Best New Artist nominations from Mnet Asian Music Awards and Melon Music Awards. They also took home the New Artist Award at the Korean Entertainment Arts Awards and the Rising Hot Star Award from the Soribada Best K-Music Awards the following year.

Since their debut, WJSN was able to release one studio album and seven mini-albums. Their most recent EP was As You Wish, which was released in November 2019 along with the lead track of the same title.

Kłapouchy

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭88,059
wait... so Yeonjung wasn't an OG member?!
wow, TIL
Congrats on the award!
I know of Mei Qi and Xuan Yi bc I soft stan Rocket Girls, might check out their stuff in WJSN when I have the time ~

fromisSakura

Jelly | Seoyeon best girl VIP+ Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,141,600
wow, TIL
Congrats on the award!
I know of Mei Qi and Xuan Yi bc I soft stan Rocket Girls, might check out their stuff in WJSN when I have the time ~

Yeah she wasn't. She joined during Secret era.

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
wow, TIL
Congrats on the award!

Yeah! the Secret MV is about WJSN saving Yeonjung " a star falling from the sky" tbh the best way to introduce a new member :palove:

Top Bottom