Chinese Female Track Runners Go Viral for ‘Looking Like Men’

Astro

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,630,700
woman-athlete-man.jpg

A pair of Chinese runners who won the highest place at a women’s relay at a recent national track and field finals went viral on social media due to their appearance.

Liao Mengxue and Tong Zenghuan finished first and second places in 53.25 and 53.35 seconds, respectively, in the 400-meter women’s relay at the National Track and Field Championships and Grand Prix Finals in Daqing, Heilongjiang province last week.

The pair immediately sparked controversy on social media, with many questioning whether they truly are women.

“They’re more men than me,” one user wrote on Weibo.

LIAO-770x433.jpg

The Chinese Athletic Association has since confirmed that Liao and Tong are women, according to People’s Daily.

However, this is not the first time the pair raised eyebrows for their unconventional appearance.

TONG-770x431.jpg

In July, Liao and Tong came under public scrutiny after taking home gold as part of a four-member team representing Hunan at the National Athletics Championships in Shenyang.

Liao also topped the 400-meter relay, while Tong finished with a bronze medal, the South China Morning Post noted.

Despite the Chinese Athletic Association’s confirmation, social media users remain confused about Liao and Tong’s sex.

Weibo users commented:

“They’re men.”

“They’re probably taking drugs.”

“I actually thought it was a mixed relay for men and women.”

“If I only look at the pictures, I really can’t tell if they’re women.”

“This is the side effect of taking drugs. Their hormone levels will change greatly.”

Source

Whisky23

"Kind but not soft" Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,200
Pronouns
Stud/Studmuffin
:whaaat:

It's like the opposite of Thailand's lady boys....and those haircuts don't help either.

emily

개냥이 Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭23,750
i'm gonna be honest none of the four look particularly feminine facially soo maybe it's just the hair

Loonathehoe

Trainee Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭37,340
I mean, let's pair the type of body these sport leaves on them with the short hair plus the fact that asians sometimes are more androgynous looking

Top Bottom