Diablo 4 Gameplay and Cinematic Trailers

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
Diablo 4 was announced at Blizzcon 2019. If you followed the leaks, it seems to pretty much a match.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? I will write mine later as I have to recollect it properly.

A

Aerith

Well, it looks good. The cinematic though, Blizzard always does so amazing with them.

Anyway, I'm sure I won't be able to resist getting it, not when it comes to Diablo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
The cinematic is beautiful like always. The reveal of Lilith gave me chills.

I'm hopeful and apprehensive at the same time. I like that they are trying to evoke Diablo 2 in every opportunity, but at the same time if feels like they are afraid to get a similar "fail" as Diablo 3 (commercially it was very successful, but perception on the game is mixed) and go to a safe bet going Diablo 2 style. It lacks some personal vision. Diablo 1 and 2 were very distinct IMO. Diablo 3 may have not be what a lot of Diablo 2 fans wanted, but at least it had it own color (maybe too much color lol). This Diablo 4 may aim to please Diablo 2 crowd, but it may not hit the mark.

Maybe it should be better to focus to a Diablo 2 "remake" and make a distinct and innovative D4. I feel like this is Disney handling Star Wars. They are just rehashing the brand.

If the last year's rumors about Diablo4 are right and it seems likely, they kept the aesthetics from the Dark Souls Diablo version they scrapped (it was rumored to have Lilith as villain as well) and they probably saw it was just similar to Diablo 1&2 dark and gritty atmosphere and are marketing it like that.

They are listening everyone which is a far cry to Jay Wilson's Diablo 3 team's headstrong attitude at the time. This can be good and bad. Good because they are eager to please and bad because the end result may lack its own color. Still I think it's better for them to be eager to receive feedback than being stubborn and condescending toward the fanbase and not take constructive criticism till it's too late like it was in case of Diablo 3 era before the RoS expansion.

I will not judge the demo too much. I see a lot of Diablo 2 faithful bashing it saying it's just looks like a darker Diablo 3. It does have a lot of carry over from Diablo 3. It has the same crispy control from what people are reporting, but it lacks some of the depth of Diablo 2 design. Anyway, it's rare the demo will match the final product at all. Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 demos during the year they first got announced were completely overhauled. This demo has only the base and they just put something together hastily. They are very good at creating very polished demos. I tested SC Ghost, SC2, and Diablo 3 at Blizzcon, so I can say this demo will be useless as a reference.

It may be used to determine the direction of some specific gameplay aspects like skill system, trade, and MMO like overworld, but judging from the statement of the staff, nothing is really set in stone.

The game is probably too far away in the horizon. I think the designers have the right mentality, but I'm a bit reserved about this eagerness. I'm not hyped and I don't expect much from Blizzard anymore. I just hope for a good game with depth.

Top Bottom