Does following KPOP makes you more conservative?

Nimz

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭684,545
No. Why would it? Korean society has no impact on how I live my life in the US.

A Flower4ever

❤ #AlwaysWithTwice #OT9ForEver ❤ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭281,245
The contrary, makes me different from conservative people who will only listen to music they feel familiar with. Kpop is fun, entertaining, and can be progressive in their lyrics too.

Echo

𝕎𝕠𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕝𝕒𝕟𝕕 Early Supporters
Reaction score
⨭23,441
I can tell my own culture and the Korean culture that reflects onto kpop apart so no

Yukihime

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭20,890
Nah, I can keep things apart and have my own opinions and criticism about every side.

_universo

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭71,915
No, but I do think one of the reasons kpop appealed to me was precisely because of the conservative aspect of it, in regards to fashion for instance, or the way idols handle themselves in front of cameras (like not swearing, the type of humor is overall more "innocent"), because that's also how I handle myself irl. But my beliefs and mindset is still pretty liberal/nonconservative.

emily

개냥이 Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭23,750
no but now sometimes i'll see tanning ads and get confused by the darker picture being the "after"

Vanille

Cap'n Gemmi Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,995
No, but I do think one of the reasons kpop appealed to me was precisely because of the conservative aspect of it, in regards to fashion for instance, or the way idols handle themselves in front of cameras (like not swearing, the type of humor is overall more "innocent"), because that's also how I handle myself irl. But my beliefs and mindset is still pretty liberal/nonconservative.
THIS

In Western pop too many lyrics are about sex, drugs and whatnot. MV's with lots of twerking and skin showing, makeout scenes... Now I can appreciate a sexy MV, it's just that Western MV's are often no longer sexy, but straight up make me uncomfortable... Then I prefer watching Hyuna or something. And it's refreshing to see more cute and happy MV's too, catchy and fun songs that aren't necessarily childish (some are tho)

Do I agree with the Korean culture? Tho I find it interesting to learn about it, no, not really... But that doesn't mean all idols are conservative assholes either, most of my biases are openly feminist and/or support LGBT+ which is great <3

doki-doki

Hallyuboo
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭46,545
No, I like Korean Entertainment but their values and way of life have no impact on me whatsoever.

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
Not really. I think it's more of appreciation and understanding than direct influence. After all they are selling an idea of clear entertainment which a lot of people can appreciate. I don't think it dwells too much in controversial stuff per se as they usually try to stir clear of these. Bottomline they are trying to sell music to a wider audience as possible.

Of course, when you dig deep into the more ingrained cultural aspects it may clash with some of the Western views (or maybe holders of those views may get defensive about it), after all Eastern Asian cultures have a vastly different upbringing. They may embrace some Western views, but at their own terms and interpretation. In the end of the day Western views is kinda of a muddle idea to begin with.

D

DR. K💉M 👄

The opposite

There's those who say they aren't conservative but make fun of boys with eyeliner, or if you listen to asian stuff in general :teehee:

minto

Priki priki~ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭34,225
No, they are actually faking that image if you realise

Top Bottom