Favorite RPG

Vampire

Astarion approves. Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭158,759
i love rpg games! some of my favorites are dragon age: origins, fire emblem awakening, fire emblem: three houses, and persona 5! and lots, lots more honestly

Ackerman

Everything Everywhere All at Once Administrator
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭14,989,284
Vesperia. I saw that lots of people had it as number 1 in their fave Tales games.
+ it's available on the PS4 :)

Did you play it?

Yeah I got it way back when it was on the Xbox 360. I got a 360 just for that game and Alan Wake back then. It was great. I have the PS4 version though I havent played it yet.

Vesperia is Top 5 for sure in Tales but I prefer Symphonia, Abyss, Legendia, and Graces.

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
Yeah I got it way back when it was on the Xbox 360. I got a 360 just for that game and Alan Wake back then. It was great. I have the PS4 version though I havent played it yet.

Vesperia is Top 5 for sure in Tales but I prefer Symphonia, Abyss, Legendia, and Graces.

I think you are like a JRPG encyclopedia :D

Used to play as many as I could, but it was harder to get my hands on some in Europe, as I think even less came here than to the US.
Funny thing: RPGs helped me with learning English, lol.

Thanks for giving me the other titles you like too. If you want, could you tell me what makes them so good?

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
Final fantasy IX has my favorite story and gameplay out of all the series :poggers:
i also enjoyed persona 5 a lot
FFIX is amazing. I recently replayed it and still enjoyed it.
I enjoy nice graphics, but I can enjoy games like FFIV-FFVI as much as a newer one.
And the FFIX landscapes are so beautiful and fairy-tale like.

i love rpg games! some of my favorites are dragon age: origins, fire emblem awakening, fire emblem: three houses, and persona 5! and lots, lots more honestly
Never played any of the games you mentioned, but I'm looking forward to getting into more series. It's almost overwhelming as I didn't play for quite a while.

Bobo

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,100
FFIX is amazing. I recently replayed it and still enjoyed it.
I enjoy nice graphics, but I can enjoy games like FFIV-FFVI as much as a newer one.
And the FFIX landscapes are so beautiful and fairy-tale like.
i like new gen games graphics too but FFIX doesn't really need it with how everything else is so well made!! :poggers:
like the music, the storyline and the characters are all perfect:hehe:
besies, there's certain charm in old graphics

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
i like new gen games graphics too but FFIX doesn't really need it with how everything else is so well made!! :poggers:
like the music, the storyline and the characters are all perfect:hehe:
besies, there's certain charm in old graphics
Yes, a real underrated title that more and more people appreciate now.
And you're right: the music is superb :cool:

Read that back then all eyes were on the PS2 and FFX already when it came out.

Last edited:

MedicationHelps87

Bi Racial Ruler Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,495,301
Pronouns
He/Him
Yokai watch and Snack world.

These games had the longevity of titans game length wise and were so fun as well.
I miss the times when you could play YW and now since YW 4 isn't coming to switch. Dark days for Level 5 western releases.

Ackerman

Everything Everywhere All at Once Administrator
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭14,989,284
I think you are like a JRPG encyclopedia :D

Used to play as many as I could, but it was harder to get my hands on some in Europe, as I think even less came here than to the US.
Funny thing: RPGs helped me with learning English, lol.

Thanks for giving me the other titles you like too. If you want, could you tell me what makes them so good?

Symphonia is a long game with memorable characters and a lot of heart. The battle system is probably the best for me and you travel through two worlds. Tbh its outdated at this point even if you get the HD remaster but its a lot of fun if you give it a chance. Its actually a prequel to Phantasia so there are things you'll pick up on if you played Phantasia.

Tales of Abyss was a bit darker and more mature in theme. The main character and his best friend are similar to the two best friends in Vesperia. Battle system is alright, its not as good as other Tales games for me but it was good enough. Story is fantastic, really unique once the world is explained to you.

Legendia is a hit or miss with most fans of Tales since it has a fighting system similar to fighting games but mainly if you use the main character. The other team members fight more like traditional Tales characters so you can always use them if you prefer a swordsman or a mage. Its still going to be linear in camera movement though, you dont have the 360 movement of characters when fighting. Thats why its similar to fighting games. I can see why people wouldnt like it but if you give it a chance its actually spectacular. Its really long. Its basically two games in one, since the post game is like 20+ hours if you try to do everything. Well worth it if you like to completely immerse yourself in the world. I'm sad it never got a sequel because there were still things never explained despite how long it was.

Graces is very underrated and has a similar theme to Symphonia. There are theories that they take place in the same universe but it was never proven. The battle system is as good as Symphonia and the characters make the game. The story wasnt bad, but weak compared to the rest I listed.

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
Yokai watch and Snack world.

These games had the longevity of titans game length wise and were so fun as well.
I miss the times when you could play YW and now since YW 4 isn't coming to switch. Dark days for Level 5 western releases.
I never heard of those games, but will look up some information about them. Are the characters interesting?

Symphonia is a long game with memorable characters and a lot of heart. The battle system is probably the best for me and you travel through two worlds. Tbh its outdated at this point even if you get the HD remaster but its a lot of fun if you give it a chance. Its actually a prequel to Phantasia so there are things you'll pick up on if you played Phantasia.

Tales of Abyss was a bit darker and more mature in theme. The main character and his best friend are similar to the two best friends in Vesperia. Battle system is alright, its not as good as other Tales games for me but it was good enough. Story is fantastic, really unique once the world is explained to you.

Legendia is a hit or miss with most fans of Tales since it has a fighting system similar to fighting games but mainly if you use the main character. The other team members fight more like traditional Tales characters so you can always use them if you prefer a swordsman or a mage. Its still going to be linear in camera movement though, you dont have the 360 movement of characters when fighting. Thats why its similar to fighting games. I can see why people wouldnt like it but if you give it a chance its actually spectacular. Its really long. Its basically two games in one, since the post game is like 20+ hours if you try to do everything. Well worth it if you like to completely immerse yourself in the world. I'm sad it never got a sequel because there were still things never explained despite how long it was.

Graces is very underrated and has a similar theme to Symphonia. There are theories that they take place in the same universe but it was never proven. The battle system is as good as Symphonia and the characters make the game. The story wasnt bad, but weak compared to the rest I listed.

Symphonia sounds good :). I like the idea of two worlds.
I like retro fighting styles and don't mind turn based at all, though I probably like it the most when you don't have to put in all the characters moves at the same time, and have to wait until the turn is over. Rather I like it when turns come up seperately, as in FFVII.
I liked FFVII remake's battle style okay, but not so much FFXV.
Hopefully Symphonia gets ported to a PS4.

Thanks for the explanation on all the games. I still need to finish Berseria, but I'll then probably play Vesperia and Zisteria, as they are available on PS4, before finding ways to play the others.
Despite some of the things you said, I will probably like Tales of Abyss, as story is very important to me when playing a game.

Top Bottom