first anime that you watched ?

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600
probably pokemon. but inuyasha was the first time watching while knowing i was watching anime was inuyasha

roseychu

sungjae's wife Administrator Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭227,571
Pronouns
She/Her
It was Tenchi Muyo! I loved that anime!!!

Whisky23

"Kind but not soft" Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,200
Pronouns
Stud/Studmuffin
The first cartoon anime I watched as a kid was an old classic called Grandizer. Family was posted in the middle east, and the cartoons they showed were ancient, and my choices were to watch old robot cartoons or watch old disney/WB cartoons. The first anime that I watched (knowing that I was watching an anime, not a cartoon) was Evangelion.

Danee

♥ ANSWER ♥ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭234,495
Technically speaking Moomins back when I was a 5yo.

But took me another 10 yrs to learn it was actually an anime.

And now, 25yrs after, I still love it.

mu1.png

Aurora

ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,580
When I was a kid first one I watched on tv was Digimon

First one I watched while I was a teen was Death Note

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
Is TMNT an anime? Either that or pokemon.

Short answer: No

More pedantic answer: Yes in Japan. It depends on how you define the term "anime". If you go with most non Japanese fandom definition of anime, it's definitively not. However, most people in Japan would call anime anything animation related regardless of origin.

In Western fandom, there are some silly debates about certain cases. Some people may consider or not Japan-X country joint productions as anime, some people may list anime-like animations with low or no Japanese involved as anime, and some may not call anime some 100% Japanese produced animations that doesn't have anime style (like some indie stuff).

In case of 1987 TMNT (I think you are referring to this, right?), I think the only thing related to Japanese studios it may have is outsourcing some of the animation and that's about it. Otherwise, the creative output is all related to US production/directors. Maybe some licensing to get it in Japan as well, but this wouldn't be a qualifier for most of Western anime fandom. So I don't think anyone would consider it anime besides Japanese people as they have a different definition.

dannyy

The limit is inside your mind.
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭15,030
.....Doraemon. Hey, I don't have a choice, that's what my local TV put and I just decide to go with whatever in it :wae:

20+ years later, I still obsessed with Doraemon though, so thanks RCTI!

Top Bottom