Food that used to be dirt cheap in the past but expensive now

dnb

Supporting Table Unnie Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,511,116
Around here, it's beef prices that have really gone up.

hatmixx

Ain't Nobody Fifth Place HoE VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭106,950
Pronouns
No Sana No Life
Chicken wings. Not in our lifetime, but they used to be a less desirable part of the chicken. Now it's almost a luxury.

Dragon of the West

Iroh VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭797,050
I assume stuff like truffle, caviar and foie gras were pretty cheap once upon a time. Maybe even lobster?

Chicken wings. Not in our lifetime, but they used to be a less desirable part of the chicken. Now it's almost a luxury.
I think that depends on the country. Chicken wings are pretty cheap where I am

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
Well Lobster was just leftover for fishermen. In recent time I think Monkfish is similar. It was a cheap lobster substitute, but now it's pretty expensive. I think sole was pretty cheap as substitute for more expensive halibut. Fish in general is becoming expensive.

I guess if we continue to deplete the seas and poison our rivers, the only cheap seafood will be jellyfish. River fish is the cheap option now.

If you study peasant food in medieval era, lot of what they ate became the expensive food now. Despite the popular portrait, they ate highly nutritious healthy food as they had to get sustenance to endure the hard labor. Nobles used to eat lot of sugar, fat, and meat. Now it's the peasant's food with all the junk food around. Rich people eats the highly nutritious and healthy food now.

On the flip side, saffron was always and will always be more expensive than gold. Most spices have been pretty pricey since time immemorial.

Stannie

Philippians 4:11-13
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,001
For me it's mainly the tropical fruits since I have moved to Murica :sejeongcry:

Top Bottom