REVIEW Gaming Review: Can SKT regain their title as "Gods of League of Legends"?

ByulHarangBona

Bonarcult CEO
Early Supporters
VIP+
Posts
20,927
Reaction score
13,527
Points
66,620
Location
Fromis_9 hearts
Plus Coins
⨭2,232,330
  • VIP+ Unique #13
  • AKB48's Asai Nanami
  • fromis_9's Nakyung
  • fromis_9's Seoyeon
Gaming Review: Can SKT regain their title as "Gods of League of Legends"?
Review written by: ByulHarangBona




The 2019 League of Legends World Championship will be held from October 2nd to November 10th 2019, in Berlin, Madrid and Paris. A Korean team has won
the highly coveted World Championship since the start of Season 3, until their stranglehold on the title was finally undone by Invictus Gaming last year. After
a disappointing 2018 championship run, held at their home soil in Busan, Korea are arguably sending their strongest teams in years to compete for the World
Championship; SK Telecom T1, Griffin and Damwon Gaming. The three representatives for South Korea are determined to return their country to Glory.
Among them is SK Telecom T1, who make their re-entry to this year's World Championship after failing to make the cut last year. How will they fare this time? Let's dive in and find out!



SK Telecom T1




SK Telecom T1 (also known as T1) qualified for this year's World Championship as the number one seed. T1 holds the record for the most world titles won in
the history of League Of Legends; winning the major honors in 2013, 2015 and 2016. Their victory in 2016 also resulted in them being the first and only team ever
to successfully defend the title. However since their last international title, only Head Coach Kkoma (Kim Jeong-gyun) and star midlaner Lee "Faker" Sang-
Hyeok remain as part of the organisation. In order to win the World Championship again, T1 assembled what many dubbed 'a dream team' bringing in the likes of
top laner Kim "Khan" Dong-Ha, rising jungler Kim "Clid" Taemi, ADC [Attack Damage Carry] Park "Teddy" Jin-Seong, and Support Cho "Mata" Se-Hyeong. Former Gen
G Jungler Kang "Haru" Min-Seung also joined the squad along with Kim "Crazy" Jae-Hee. Rookie support Lee "Effort" Sang-ho was retained along with Han "Leo"
Gyeo-Re with midlaner trainee Kim "Gori" Tae-Woo completing the line-up.


The dream team sailed though the 2019 LCK (League Champions Korea) Spring Season without any major issues, defeating Griffin in the domestic final. They
qualified for the Mid-Season Intivational (MSI) where they lost to eventual champions G2-Esports in a 5 game series in the semi final. They had a shaky start in the
2019 LCK Summer Season, narrowly beating Jin Air Green-Wings before going on a 5 game losing streak. The losing streak finally come to an end after they
defeated fierce rival KT Rolster 2-0. Shortly after, they departed for Rift Rivals as part of Team Korea where they contributed to Korea finally lifting the Rift Rivals trophy. They then returned for the remainder of LCK Summer 2019 regular season, where they embarked on yet another winning run before getting upset in
a surprise loss to Hanhwa Life Esports. They secured 4th spot at the end of the Summer Season and in the Play-offs defeated Afreeca Freecs, SandBox Gaming,
and Damwon Gaming to set up a repeat of the 2019 Spring Finals against Griffin. They defeated Griffin for the second final in a row to secure yet another
domestic title.


Head coach Kkoma and midlaner Faker have the experience and know-how of winning the World Championship, as they have won the title 3 times. Kkoma is
renowned for his great player management; he knows when to have fun and be strict with his team. Faker is considered the best League of Legends player of
all time, and is known to be able play any champions at the highest level possible. Top-laner Khan, Support Mata, and substitute Jungler Haru also have the
experience of competing at the World Championship in their previous teams. Notably Haru was part of the Samsung Galaxy squad [renamed as Gen G], who
denied T1 their World Championship title in the 2017 World Championship final. As for Mata, he brought his team victory in the World Championship Final in
2014 as part of the now-defunct Samsung White Squad. All these players help bring a wealth of experience to the team. T1 bringing in Clid has also proved to
be a good decision as he has been a great asset. He provides an aggressive play style which many Korean junglers lack. He has also formed an amazing partnership with Faker, drawing comparison to the legendary Faker and retired jungler Bengi's chemistry back in the old days. Teddy (also known by fans as General Teddy)
is a highly rated ADC whose mechanical prowess has lead T1 to victory many times.


However despite all of the experience and talent, T1 do have chinks in their Armour. Khan, when ahead of his opponents, can be a fearsome toplaner with his
split pushing skills. However, he is liable to tilting when falling behind and has caused his team to lose due to that reason. Another way that SKT can lose is if
Faker is put on a utility champion such as Karma to support his team instead of an aggressive champion pick, the latter is where he performs at his very best.
Mata who was once considered the best support in the world had a really poor summer season, where he was eventually replaced in the starting line-up by rookie
support Effort. While Effort is expected to help stabilize the team, there are concerns that his inexperience might count against him at the big international stage
of the World Championship final. SKT is also fixated on selecting Ezreal for Teddy. While it is a champion that Teddy can play safe with and scale well on, which
enables Clid to either power-farm in the jungler or gank for other lanes, it has its con. For example, teams can devise tactics in advance to play around the pick if
T1 is insistent on selecting Ezreal. Therefore as a result, this tactic of selecting Ezreal won't play off in the long run. SKT is also known as a slow and methodical
team, playing slowly while waiting for their opponents to make a mistake. But with the current meta favouring a faster play-style, it can backfire on them as
previously seen during MSI in their semi final loss to G2 E-Sports.






In this year's edition of the World Championship, SKT have been placed in what many call 'the Group of Death', alongside Fnatic, Royal Never Give Up [RNG] and
one more team from the Play-in stages. Last year, Fnatic had a strong run at the world championship before losing to Champion Invictus Gaming in the Finals.
Fnatic have continued their good run this year in the domestic league and given G2 E-Sports a run for their money. RNG like always is considered a major
contender for the title with the team coming close to a win on a few occasions. With talented ADC Jian "Uzi" Zihao in their line-up, they are expected to be
aiming for the number 1 spot.


In my opinion, despite SKT being placed in the Group of Death, I feel they can finish as the top team in their group. With the team traditionally being strong in the
best of five series, I expect them to reach the finals. They hold the record of winning 3 out of 4 finals they have played in the World Championship so the odds are
in favor of them. If Khan is able to keep his cool and prevent his lane from collapsing, a big weakness of T1 will be removed. If T1 can adapt to a fast play-style
when required, fans can be hopeful of T1 regaining back their throne. Only one question now remains. As teams are only allowed to bring one substitute with
them, will it be Haru or Effort who will be chosen? In the event, Effort doesn't get selected, Mata will have to stop committing errors as that was what got him
replaced by Effort during the summer season. And Mata at his best will be a fearsome duo with Teddy in the bottom lane! Overall, I am putting my bet on T1
having a successful season and reaching the pinnacle of League of Legends again!




Chances of winning the World Championship
SKT: 80%


 
Last edited:

Kylo

𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔮𝔲𝔢𝔢𝔫
Social Media
VIP+
Donor
Posts
2,446
Reaction score
13,222
Points
45,420
Plus Coins
⨭104,135
  • Certified ARMY (Alternative)
  • EVERGLOW's Mia
  • BLACKPINK's Rosé
  • Certified Sone
In your opinion, if someone wanted to get into LoL where should they start? Because I'm reading this article, and I'm interested in the game now.​
 
  • Like
Reactions: ByulHarangBona

ByulHarangBona

Bonarcult CEO
Early Supporters
VIP+
Posts
20,927
Reaction score
13,527
Points
66,620
Location
Fromis_9 hearts
Plus Coins
⨭2,232,330
  • VIP+ Unique #13
  • AKB48's Asai Nanami
  • fromis_9's Nakyung
  • fromis_9's Seoyeon
In your opinion, if someone wanted to get into LoL where should they start? Because I'm reading this article, and I'm interested in the game now.​
When you first started in the game, there will be a short tutorial to guide you. After that, you can choose to play in a Players vs AI 5 vs 5 (there is easy & intermediate mode for you to choose from) where you can slowly train how to farm CS, train your combos and skills while getting an easy win. Or if you are confident enough, you can try going for a 5 vs 5 players vs players match. Rank matches will only be unlocked at level 30.

Position wise, I will advise you to try out support where you can learn to peel for your carries, provide visions or clearing vision (by placing wards, clearing wards).

I will advise being a top laner too as it is a position where you can learn to split push or handle your own lane without your jungler's attention (sometime). You can also learn when to teleport for a teamfight or to flank.

I will advise you learning mid lane and Jungler last. Mid lane is like the control tower of the team. You can lose your game pretty hard if you are inexperienced and it can lead to bottom lane and top lane stumbling too.

Junglers will be hard to learn if you do not have experience as you will need to know when to gank for your lanes, when to power farm. When to secure rift herald and drakes for your team. Also you will need to learn hoa to smite the baron at the right timing in order to prevent it from being steal if your team are doinh baron.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: Kylo and Baymax

wonwoo

talk about
Early Supporters
Posts
3,357
Reaction score
1,203
Points
13,720
Location
#MOLO
Plus Coins
⨭194,370
  • Certified Carat
  • Seventeen's Wonwoo
  • NCT's Mark
  • Certified NCTzen
if i have to estimate i'd say skt are for sure getting out of group c, and has an 85% chance of finishing first. the other 15% relies on a combination of fnc/rng playing above their ceiling, and whatever upset the play-in team might be able to pull. rng's weakness is definitely their over-reliance on the uzi basket, which would backfire once the enemy team figures out what they're doing. on the other hand, fnc's nemesis is a fresh rookie on the worlds stage, so nerves might get the best of him there + rekkles who has a reputation of being a kda player. however like you said, skt is also prone to weakness, particularly with khan's tilting and effort's inexperience.

i personally think skt's biggest competition at worlds are g2, ig, and rng (should they both get past quarters). griffin they've already beat multiple times, fpx is unproven, and team liquid is... NA's 1st seed

In your opinion, if someone wanted to get into LoL where should they start? Because I'm reading this article, and I'm interested in the game now.​

:yagotit:
 

ByulHarangBona

Bonarcult CEO
Early Supporters
VIP+
Posts
20,927
Reaction score
13,527
Points
66,620
Location
Fromis_9 hearts
Plus Coins
⨭2,232,330
  • VIP+ Unique #13
  • AKB48's Asai Nanami
  • fromis_9's Nakyung
  • fromis_9's Seoyeon
if i have to estimate i'd say skt are for sure getting out of group c, and has an 85% chance of finishing first. the other 15% relies on a combination of fnc/rng playing above their ceiling, and whatever upset the play-in team might be able to pull. rng's weakness is definitely their over-reliance on the uzi basket, which would backfire once the enemy team figures out what they're doing. on the other hand, fnc's nemesis is a fresh rookie on the worlds stage, so nerves might get the best of him there + rekkles who has a reputation of being a kda player. however like you said, skt is also prone to weakness, particularly with khan's tilting and effort's inexperience.

i personally think skt's biggest competition at worlds are g2, ig, and rng (should they both get past quarters). griffin they've already beat multiple times, fpx is unproven, and team liquid is... NA's 1st seed




:yagotit:
ig have a poor summer season but with their roster, I won't count them out for sure. I do want to see SKT vs G2 [Time for SKT to take revenge].
 

Baymax

(•—•)
Early Supporters
First Place Elite
Posts
1,054
Reaction score
3,263
Points
15,920
Plus Coins
⨭84,880
  • Seventeen's Joshua
  • Seventeen's Jeonghan
  • Certified Carat
  • Seventeen's S.Coups
An interesting read, Byul!


In your opinion, if someone wanted to get into LoL where should they start? Because I'm reading this article, and I'm interested in the game now.​
keodi i'm a complete newbie let's start and play together! :peepopbirthday:
Count me in :peepopbirthday: I've always wanted to play LoL after watching/hearing my brother play it with his friends but I never know where to start and I'm lowkey scared to play the game alone bc I know for sure I'll suck at it and probably get hurled abuse. I've kinda played the rip-off version, Mobile Legends, so I understand the mechanics of the games but I want to venture onto LoL bc it just seems fun and something to do when you want to kill time.
 

ByulHarangBona

Bonarcult CEO
Early Supporters
VIP+
Posts
20,927
Reaction score
13,527
Points
66,620
Location
Fromis_9 hearts
Plus Coins
⨭2,232,330
  • VIP+ Unique #13
  • AKB48's Asai Nanami
  • fromis_9's Nakyung
  • fromis_9's Seoyeon
An interesting read, Byul!





Count me in :peepopbirthday: I've always wanted to play LoL after watching/hearing my brother play it with his friends but I never know where to start and I'm lowkey scared to play the game alone bc I know for sure I'll suck at it and probably get hurled abuse. I've kinda played the rip-off version, Mobile Legends, so I understand the mechanics of the games but I want to venture onto LoL bc it just seems fun and something to do when you want to kill time.

There is an option to mute the in-game chat and pings. Post-game, if they verbally insult you, there is a button where you can press to report them ^^
 
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Baymax

Kylo

𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔮𝔲𝔢𝔢𝔫
Social Media
VIP+
Donor
Posts
2,446
Reaction score
13,222
Points
45,420
Plus Coins
⨭104,135
  • Certified ARMY (Alternative)
  • EVERGLOW's Mia
  • BLACKPINK's Rosé
  • Certified Sone
When you first started in the game, there will be a short tutorial to guide you. After that, you can choose to play in a Players vs AI 5 vs 5 (there is easy & intermediate mode for you to choose from) where you can slowly train how to farm CS, train your combos and skills while getting an easy win. Or if you are confident enough, you can try going for a 5 vs 5 players vs players match. Rank matches will only be unlocked at level 30.

Position wise, I will advise you to try out support where you can learn to peel for your carries, provide visions or clearing vision (by placing wards, clearing wards).

I will advise being a top laner too as it is a position where you can learn to split push or handle your own lane without your jungler's attention (sometime). You can also learn when to teleport for a teamfight or to flank.

I will advise you learning mid lane and Jungler last. Mid lane is like the control tower of the team. You can lose your game pretty hard if you are inexperienced and it can lead to bottom lane and top lane stumbling too.

Junglers will be hard to learn if you do not have experience as you will need to know when to gank for your lanes, when to power farm. When to secure rift herald and drakes for your team. Also you will need to learn hoa to smite the baron at the right timing in order to prevent it from being steal if your team are doinh baron.
That sounds like too much work. I'm lazy Byul.
:sejeongcry: :sejeongcry:
Does the game have any lore kind of like Overwatch does?

:yagotit:
That's a lot of characters. Which one is best for beginners?
keodi i'm a complete newbie let's start and play together! :peepopbirthday:
I'm going to flop yooa but I'll flop with pride!
An interesting read, Byul!





Count me in :peepopbirthday: I've always wanted to play LoL after watching/hearing my brother play it with his friends but I never know where to start and I'm lowkey scared to play the game alone bc I know for sure I'll suck at it and probably get hurled abuse. I've kinda played the rip-off version, Mobile Legends, so I understand the mechanics of the games but I want to venture onto LoL bc it just seems fun and something to do when you want to kill time.
I'm gonna have to steal my brother's gaming PC and force him to teach me how to play.​
 

ByulHarangBona

Bonarcult CEO
Early Supporters
VIP+
Posts
20,927
Reaction score
13,527
Points
66,620
Location
Fromis_9 hearts
Plus Coins
⨭2,232,330
  • VIP+ Unique #13
  • AKB48's Asai Nanami
  • fromis_9's Nakyung
  • fromis_9's Seoyeon

That sounds like too much work. I'm lazy Byul.
:sejeongcry: :sejeongcry:
Does the game have any lore kind of like Overwatch does?

That's a lot of characters. Which one is best for beginners?

I'm going to flop yooa but I'll flop with pride!

I'm gonna have to steal my brother's gaming PC and force him to teach me how to play.​
Lore? Yes! All of them have lore but I can't remember where to read it xD
 

yooamygirls

🤝
Social Media
VIP+
Donor
Posts
3,236
Reaction score
11,475
Points
52,420
Location
namjoon's nation
Plus Coins
⨭76,035
  • Certified ARMY (Alternative)
  • BTS' Taegi
  • BTS' Yoonkook
  • BTSTXT Shipper
Count me in :peepopbirthday: I've always wanted to play LoL after watching/hearing my brother play it with his friends but I never know where to start and I'm lowkey scared to play the game alone bc I know for sure I'll suck at it and probably get hurled abuse. I've kinda played the rip-off version, Mobile Legends, so I understand the mechanics of the games but I want to venture onto LoL bc it just seems fun and something to do when you want to kill time.

I'm going to flop yooa but I'll flop with pride!

I'm gonna have to steal my brother's gaming PC and force him to teach me how to play.​
We can all flop together! I'm scared to start alone as well and I'll probably get yelled at by everyone through the chat but :teehee: let's get this bread
 

wonwoo

talk about
Early Supporters
Posts
3,357
Reaction score
1,203
Points
13,720
Location
#MOLO
Plus Coins
⨭194,370
  • Certified Carat
  • Seventeen's Wonwoo
  • NCT's Mark
  • Certified NCTzen

That sounds like too much work. I'm lazy Byul.
:sejeongcry: :sejeongcry:
Does the game have any lore kind of like Overwatch does?

That's a lot of characters. Which one is best for beginners?

I'm going to flop yooa but I'll flop with pride!

I'm gonna have to steal my brother's gaming PC and force him to teach me how to play.​
the official site has a list of starting champions here, and you can review the basic lore here. there are also more extensive lore that come with specific skin lines, i.e: star guardian, blood moon, cosmic, etc.