Giving Concept Advice to 4th gen ggs, Part 2: The Undebuted

AstroBaby

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭520,400
Part two of this thread, this time focusing on upcoming groups!
honestly it's a bit stressful how many ggs are coming out :vaderecto:
still no smngg though....

1. Mystic Rookies
e8c0f870923cb3f485a5ca215be0a340.jpg

Mystic Rookies are a 6-member predebut girl group under Mystic Story entertainment. This is a group who I thought would have debuted by now since they've had the members profiles released since Spring...maybe there were internal issues related to Soomin (middle row right) that caused her eventual departure, maybe since they're a SM subsidiary the push-backs are related to smngg push-backs, maybe it's just covid making Mystic afraid to spend money... Regardless @ Mystic these girls have done enough waiting, let them out!

I think it's fairly obvious that this group should go more vocal based. With the exception of Tsuki and Siyoon, vocals are the focus of the other girls and it's the skill Mystic markets the most with monthly practices. And it'd be silly to try to compete with groups like Itzy and Everglow in dance when they have such strong vocal skills. I think a mature vocal-based concept would be best; not too mature because Siyoon is an infant but...The vibe of the group skews older and again, it'd be silly to them compete against someone like Weeekly just bc of the maknae line. So yeah a mature vocal-based concept with some jazz elements *chefs kiss*.
with tamer lyrics/choreo than some of these for Siyoon's sake ofc

this is the 'cutest' I see them going I think they'd eat though~

The fact that the most recent song with this vibe is from 3 years ago proves how badly we need it, and it would suit their voices so well.

2. Ggumnamu
hqdefault.jpg

Ggumnamu is a 6 member predebut girl group under WM entertainment. They have included a 7th member in their recent practice videos, however, I am bit more skeptical to include her atm as it is not the first time new girls have appeared only to leave soon after. The 6 pictured have been introduced since 2018 and don't seem to be going anywhere. By the videos they post they definitely seem to be dance focused, Chaeyeon will bring in largely female fans who tend to prefer girl crush, and they'll want to distinguish themselves from omg who has a cute concept...So the question is how will they stand out among all the other girl crush dance groups?

My solution is a dark fantasy concept. Now, I know what you're thinking: "uhhhh...Dreamcatcher exists" but I see the WM girls having a completely different sound instrumentally leaning more into synths and bass rather than electric guitar.

I think leaning into a more elegant feel that focuses on the girls voices while still leaving room for dancing would suit them well and make them stand out from the more shouty or rap-based groups. The instrumentals/magical vibe are kinda similar to omg which in this case I think is cute (they can be marketed as omg's evil little sisters lol).

3. Purple Kiss
xfirst_1300_x_650,282,29.png.keep.fff.png.pagespeed.ic.t0L2bDA2PH.jpg

Purple Kiss is a 7 member predebut girl group under RBW Entertainment, and they should be debuting any day now. This is as much of a prediction as it is a recommendation but I think they are going for a more Western Pop Sound. I know we make fun of the of the idea of kpop groups being "westernized" since it's all just pop music but you can't deny that Ice Cream sounds more like something you'd hear on the radio than HYLT and not just because of Selena, and you probably aren't gonna hear anything like Tag Me playing. Anyway, they've tended to slightly favor western artists in their covers recently and I think you can hear the similarity from this cover to the group teaser and most of the individual teasers also follow the pop trend of more chilled out vocals and bare-bones instrumentation. Swan already sounds like an indie pop girl, they were in the SIMs trailer with Hwasa, and Yuki is the first foreign artist they've cast so I can't help but feel they're looking out more internationally. Whereas Mamamoo's main audience was college women as well as the general Korean public with their queen status on shows like Immortal Song, and their gag songs that mainly appeal to Korean speakers; I feel like Purple Kiss will aim for international fans and Korean middle/high school students who are fans of artists like Halsey and Billie Eilish. It's not a bad strategy, although it does mean they'll be competing/for sharing a general audience with Gidle but as long as they lean more into vocals as opposed to rap they'll be fine. Welcome to Purple Kiss's Kitchen!

4. Starship ngg
(no group picture at the moment)

Starship new girl is well...Starship Entertainment's upcoming new girl group. Currently the lineup consists of Izone's Ahn Yujin and Jang Wonyoung and Idol School's Park Sun. Based on the known members a cute concept seems the most logical. WJSN is known musically for their strong vocals, sparkly synth, and above all for their subtlety. Their songs are a little bit cute, a little bit sexy, and a little bit elegant all at the same time. Which is why I don't want the new group to have a inch of subtlety about them. I want fun, cute and loud. In this, they'd very much be the Weeekly to WJSN's Apink.
and honestly? I think Weeekly could deal with some competition it'll build character! Y'all can't be the only decently-funded 4th gen cute gg forever! :PolicePar: (jk)
But whereas Weeekly are very much straightforward in just being normal (if very pretty) schoolgirls, I see the ngg as having more defined concept than that, as Starship has been a fan of building more of a 'universe' for their groups since the 3rd gen. Monsta X as dystopian rebels, WJSN as magical space girls, and Cravity's debut was rushed so they're still trying to work that one out... But they've had plenty of time for the girls! I think a concept where they're aliens/robots would be really cute (I mean knetz are always saying Wonyoung isn't human so...) especially if they have another space name which is very likely since it's Starship. I think this would allow them to lean into the early '00s, cyberspace, rainbow, e-girl aesthetics that are popular rn. I see their sound as being very bouncy with strong dance beats as opposed to WJSN's airy melodies, kinda teen crush but only a little bit of the crush,,like sprinkles on ice cream...
(I had to)

Does this make sense as a vibe? Just like...cute songs that make you go insane y'know? Honestly this is just wishful thinking bc I have a feeling Starship will play as safe as possible w this group and won't make them nearly as quirky as I'd want.

What'd y'all think? Which of these groups are you most looking forward to? As per last time feel free to comment with your own opinions.

Last edited:

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭281,500
Mystic : something happened since they kept delaying their debut and Soomin left. This generation need some vocal focused groups since most of them are more into performance and dancing so I'm with you with that. Same for the concept since we have girl crush and teen crush everywhere and Weeekly, with members really young overrall, had the cute and young image. They will probably debut next year ? It's been a while since we are waiting.

GGumnamu : I don't really know anything about them except for Chaeyeon. With someone like her in the group it's more likely they will focus more on dancing. The main issue will be the popularity gap between Chaeyeon and the other members. And if WM plan to debut them soon they rather release more contents to know them more. Not only covers, for example watching them playing games, Q&A, daily vlogs, etc. The other thing to know is : how will they stand out ? Of course they will be Oh My Girl's junior and Chaeyeon will probably bring many international fans. And if they are going with girl crush or with a strong concept, how can they have their own sound. They would have some attention of course I think.

Purple Kiss : the one on the list to debut very soon since we know nothing about SMNGG. Going into a more western sound ? Seems like a good idea. Let's see how it will be received in Korea. Being Mamamoo's junior they will have some attention, it's up to them to benefit this to show what they can do.

Starship NGG : if Starship manage well the group can really have a great future. Wonyoung and Yujin, as idols, gained a lot of experience and confidence and they aren't even 18. However they will have the same issue as, for example, Weki Meki, with two members overshadowing every other members. It would bring a lot of attention but will fans stan them because of the group or because of the izone members ?
Same advice as WM : let people know more about other members before debut, it's one solution. And maybe not more than 6-7 members because 13 (10 since two years) members was a lot. I expect them to go cute, innocent or bright of course because they will have young members. Probably like Weeekly, Rocket Punch or Dreamnote.

The group I'm looking foward the most ? Probably Mystic's NGG. Miyu being in the lineup played a lot of course.

AstroBaby

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭520,400
Mystic : something happened since they kept delaying their debut and Soomin left. This generation need some vocal focused groups since most of them are more into performance and dancing so I'm with you with that. Same for the concept since we have girl crush and teen crush everywhere and Weeekly, with members really young overrall, had the cute and young image. They will probably debut next year ? It's been a while since we are waiting.
Yeah I was hoping that Tsuki would be able to debut in Korea before her popteen group in Japan but that seems less likely by the day...

GGumnamu : I don't really know anything about them except for Chaeyeon. With someone like her in the group it's more likely they will focus more on dancing. The main issue will be the popularity gap between Chaeyeon and the other members. And if WM plan to debut them soon they rather release more contents to know them more. Not only covers, for example watching them playing games, Q&A, daily vlogs, etc. The other thing to know is : how will they stand out ? Of course they will be Oh My Girl's junior and Chaeyeon will probably bring many international fans. And if they are going with girl crush or with a strong concept, how can they have their own sound. They would have some attention of course I think.
I agree they'll have a harder time standing out as another mid-sized girl crush dance group, I think the concept I came up with would be good but who knows...I think it's better than them having a concept that doesn't suit them though.

Starship NGG : if Starship manage well the group can really have a great future. Wonyoung and Yujin, as idols, gained a lot of experience and confidence and they aren't even 18. However they will have the same issue as, for example, Weki Meki, with two members overshadowing every other members. It would bring a lot of attention but will fans stan them because of the group or because of the izone members ?
Same advice as WM : let people know more about other members before debut, it's one solution. And maybe not more than 6-7 members because 13 (10 since two years) members was a lot. I expect them to go cute, innocent or bright of course because they will have young members. Probably like Weeekly, Rocket Punch or Dreamnote.
Personally I feel like the group will be 6 or smaller, not only to not overlap with WJSN but also to avoid the issue most post-ioi groups had of dragging a lot of new faces along. If they keep it small it'll be easier for everyone to have a clear purpose and get more individual recognition. I have a feeling it'll be six bc the past Starship ggs have all been even numbers on debut 4->12/10->6 and while I've already heard people saying they want the girls to be another Sistar with 4 members I don't think that'll happen.

I think one strategy that might work, assuming the lineup isn't fixed, would be to recruit more publicly known trainees. It seems to be something Starship is trying: Park Sun is ofc already known for idol school and her appearances in MV's , they cast Kang Damin from P48 for a time before she left, and if Lil Reta is actually a idol trainee (which I personally doubt) than she would be known for YYBY. If they could get someone like: ex-sm/kpop star trainee like Jungmin, ex-banana culture p48 Kim Nayoung, or a Nizi Project girl, it'd go a long way in marketing the group outside Wonyoung & Yujin (although they'd still be the most popular). If they have a lineup fixed I agree they should start doing vlives and covers now so the girls can get a bit more camera experience and the transition will be more seamless for a summer 2021 debut.

Last edited:

AstroBaby

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭520,400
So we have 2021 debut and kind of a concept confirmed for Mystic girls although that concept is kinda vague I would definitely say that Night Rather Than Day is a Blue/Violet feel maybe Dolls as well, and with a few edits they could be made more 'comfortable'. I hope that their brand of girl crush (I'm using that to mean an concept appealing to women) will stand out. More suits and long dresses and less neon sweatpants and crop tops. :sanapray:

unicorn

Gay Street Fighter
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,699,681
i just wanna let you know i was checking kero kero bonito bcs you said it'd suit starship ngg concept
and i LOVE the music lol! idm seeing them to this,

honestly i can only hope starship dont pull a cravity on them where they give them a title that doesnt really suit the members even tho theres a bside in the album that'd perfectly suit the members more

AstroBaby

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭520,400
i just wanna let you know i was checking kero kero bonito bcs you said it'd suit starship ngg concept
and i LOVE the music lol! idm seeing them to this,

honestly i can only hope starship dont pull a cravity on them where they give them a title that doesnt really suit the members even tho theres a bside in the album that'd perfectly suit the members more
I'm glad I got you into new music! I love kkb although I need to catch up on their newer releases, and I think it'd be a fun concept-

Yeah it seems most ppl are a bit like :JudgyDubu: when it comes to Cravity's concept, it seems like Starship is trying to have their cake and eat it too because they'll promote their cute tracks bsides after the more edgy ones...it's like they'll be willing to switch the concept only if one of those songs blows up more than the title tracks. But unfortunately that hasn't happened bc fans aren't as willing to go crazy streaming/voting for a bside and most ppl who want refreshing Cravity are casuals who are less likely to click on a performance video.

I think a lot of Cravity's fans are very young and new to kpop so the more 'typical' bg sound is still new and fun for them and they don't see it as a problem. Tbh it's probably easier for Starship to find songs in that vein, bc when it comes to bgs w a cuter sound you have to walk a fine line for it to be seen as not cringy/overdone whereas the darker concept is a lot safer. But I hope they come up with something more unique for the girls-

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
Part two of this thread, this time focusing on upcoming groups!
honestly it's a bit stressful how many ggs are coming out :vaderecto:
still no smngg though....

4. Starship ngg
(no group picture at the moment)

Starship new girl is well...Starship Entertainment's upcoming new girl group. Currently the lineup consists of Izone's Ahn Yujin and Jang Wonyoung and Idol School's Park Sun. Based on the known members a cute concept seems the most logical. WJSN is known musically for their strong vocals, sparkly synth, and above all for their subtlety. Their songs are a little bit cute, a little bit sexy, and a little bit elegant all at the same time. Which is why I don't want the new group to have a inch of subtlety about them. I want fun, cute and loud. In this, they'd very much be the Weeekly to WJSN's Apink.
and honestly? I think Weeekly could deal with some competition it'll build character! Y'all can't be the only decently-funded 4th gen cute gg forever! :PolicePar: (jk)
But whereas Weeekly are very much straightforward in just being normal (if very pretty) schoolgirls, I see the ngg as having more defined concept than that, as Starship has been a fan of building more of a 'universe' for their groups since the 3rd gen. Monsta X as dystopian rebels, WJSN as magical space girls, and Cravity's debut was rushed so they're still trying to work that one out... But they've had plenty of time for the girls! I think a concept where they're aliens/robots would be really cute (I mean knetz are always saying Wonyoung isn't human so...) especially if they have another space name which is very likely since it's Starship. I think this would allow them to lean into the early '00s, cyberspace, rainbow, e-girl aesthetics that are popular rn. I see their sound as being very bouncy with strong dance beats as opposed to WJSN's airy melodies, kinda teen crush but only a little bit of the crush,,like sprinkles on ice cream...
(I had to)

Does this make sense as a vibe? Just like...cute songs that make you go insane y'know? Honestly this is just wishful thinking bc I have a feeling Starship will play as safe as possible w this group and won't make them nearly as quirky as I'd want.

What'd y'all think? Which of these groups are you most looking forward to? As per last time feel free to comment with your own opinions.

To me Starship NGG will have a lot of expectations with both Sistar and WJSN fans and Izone fans being interested to see. I do think Starship will make a unique concept for them, WJSN and Sistar are very distinct so I doubt they would try to do similar and they could go more itzy bp style and make a more trendy style as opposed to unique. Whatever the case they better have some top vocalists hidden in Starship trainees because I will have a hard time listening to a Starship gg with mediocre vocals, basically they have to be great lmaao. You have way too much gg legacy to not make a great gg. Anyways, since they have "Cosmic girls" I don't think they need to do space concept aesthetic and it might be good to avoid and do something cute like you Apink and Weeekly comparison? I think that would be ideal. I do agree they will want to make sure the debut is successful. We'll see what that is to Starship tho :TzuyuKek:

edit- I forgot to mention that as far as produce related things they have been pretty successful(WJSN, Cravity(they sell ok), I think they will have a good opportunity to make a successful gg , however we'll see how well that works now lol

Last edited:

AstroBaby

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭520,400
To me Starship NGG will have a lot of expectations with both Sistar and WJSN fans and Izone fans being interested to see. I do think Starship will make a unique concept for them, WJSN and Sistar are very distinct so I doubt they would try to do similar and they could go more itzy bp style and make a more trendy style as opposed to unique. Whatever the case they better have some top vocalists hidden in Starship trainees because I will have a hard time listening to a Starship gg with mediocre vocals, basically they have to be great lmaao. You have way too much gg legacy to not make a great gg. Anyways, since they have "Cosmic girls" I don't think they need to do space concept aesthetic and it might be good to avoid and do something cute like you Apink and Weeekly comparison? I think that would be ideal. I do agree they will want to make sure the debut is successful. We'll see what that is to Starship tho :TzuyuKek:

edit- I forgot to mention that as far as produce related things they have been pretty successful(WJSN, Cravity(they sell ok), I think they will have a good opportunity to make a successful gg , however we'll see how well that works now lol
I don't think vocals should be a problem at all, there are so many talented trainees everywhere these days that they should definitely have someone in mind + their training system clearly works. I think Yujin is good enough to be the main vocal by other groups' standards already. I think the specific alien aesthetic I was pointing out with the alien and signal mv is different enough from anything wjsn has ever done that I don't see it being an issue as long as wjsn isn't ignored and the music is different. I came up with with the alien thing just as an example of an concept that might distinguish them from both wjsn and weeekly assuming they'll be doing something cute already. If they want to distinguish themselves as girl crush group...well...that's getting harder. But yeah replace aliens with robots or video game characters the vibe would be the same (think cherry bullets q&a as another example). Just something more bright and in your face. I feel like this group will sell well regardless but I prefer when groups do have a creative vision.

AstroBaby

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭520,400
So I came up with another concept that WM girls could also do which is what I would call down to earth girl crush aka The Ark's concept

the vibe is kinda similar to their first performance actually..

So much of kpop is overproduced these days this sound would be a breath of fresh air esp from a girl group. The girls rap skill would have to be good, but the rapper from omg is decent so I'm sure they have somebody. I think this concept might work for mystic gg as well but I like it for the wm girls more, miyu + jazz is too good of a combo also I feel the jline and visual line suit something more feminine. The key commonality in both my concept ideas for the wmgg is the idea of coolness rather than being in your face badass. Chaeyeon's appeal comes from the natural coolness she carries in all her performances like she's not trying to hard it's just effortless, and I think doing a more try-hard like blackpink or itzy concept diminishes that a bit in addition to not suiting her high vocal tone. All the songs I've put as reference here and in the op have that element of restraint. They don't have to tell you they're cool and different because you know by watching them, and that's what I want the gg to feel like.

Last edited:

AstroBaby

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭520,400
Thought I'd share my thoughts on cubengg a.k.a Lightsum.

So, lightsum is an upcoming 8 member gg apparently set to debut this month under Cube entertainment, although I think it's likely they'll actually debut in June since Cube still hasn't given us the date or track info and even the late May releases have started to put out official teasers whereas Lightsum is still just doing 'getting to know the girls type content'. From everything that's been shown so we can safely conclude that this group isn't girl crush however I don't think they'll do a powerful pure concept ala Gfriend the way some are expecting. White dresses are very common for initial profile pictures/videos and don't necessary indicate much about the final concept and logo trailer + the logo itself seems to indicate something more bold and with Chowon and Juhyeon as their most known trainees it wouldn't make sense to give them a concept so completely different from what they are known for. In order for this group to catch attention Chowon/Nayoung gotta Sing and Juhyeon/Sangah gotta Dance no way around it so we need a concept that allows for both to shine while also being age appropriate. I would also be best to find something that suits both Chowon and Nayoung's images that they became popular for despite being very different. Lightsum's group name has to do with spreading a message of hope, which I like, so here are examples of songs strong emotional chorus + dance beats + refreshing (not necessarily cute/pure) concept.

So yeah I think especially with a summer debut ppl would eat up something like Free Somebody or You Better Know rn so...not a clear concept but it makes sense to me

Top Bottom