뉴이스트 ❤️ 동호회 🐯 Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭606,065
Global Kpop fans idol group consumption ranking

Article: Kimoto
Translation: Vanilla Cupcake

01-6.jpg

As a Kpop fan, have you ever wondered how much you are willing to spend for your bias? Let’s take a look at the market survey! According to the survey, a Kpop fan is willing to spend up to USD 1,422 for their favorite Kpop idol. Overseas market survey company iprice analyzed global Kpop fan’s consumption ranking in November. Our editors took the top three rankings as references. BTS fans Army ranked first in Kpop products consumption, Twice fans Once ranked second, and BLACKPINK fans BLINK ranked third.

06-20.jpg

Now let’s take a look at where Kpop fans spend their money! BTS fans are perhaps the most globally dominated fan group among Kpop fans. BTS fans, Army was revealed as the fan group that spends the most money. According to a survey, on average, an Army would spend USD 545 on official merchandise, plus USD 540 on concert tickets and USD 336 on BTS albums.

Not only that, surveying from online payment portals, as a die-hard BTS fan, an Army would purchase at least 15 albums and at least 5 concert tickets. iprice also noted an average die-hard BTS fan would spend about USD 1,422 on BTS goods. As a fan, not only do you need the energy to support your idols, but you also need money to purchase the goods.

07-17.jpg

Today, BTS’s global popularity continues to rise. They became the first Kpop group to earn the top spot on US Billboard “Hot100” chart. They are also the first foreigner to rank number one in the Japanese Oricon chart for the first half of last year. Because of the power of their music, BTS secured many middle-class and financially stable fans and many of them are willing to invest in merchandise to demonstrate their love and support. On the other hand, fans also spend a lot of money on Kpop merchandise in addition to concert tickets and albums. As society evolves, Kpop merchandise is no longer limited to traditional products. Entertainment companies would also sell licensed cell phone cases, clothing, and home goods.

08-2.png

At the same time, Twice fans, Once is the second-largest fan group in terms of consumption. Once spent an average of USD 864. The main difference between the spending for Once and Army is that Twice's merchandise is cheaper. Once spent an average of USD 446 on concert tickets and USD 205 on albums. According to iprice, an average fan would collect 14 albums and purchase at least 4 concert tickets. These are all evidence of Twice’s power and popularity in the Asian market. Because of their popularity, Twice has sold more than ten million albums in Korea and Japan. It is not surprising to see fans spending a lot of money this year; Twice is truly multi-talented.

09.png

Lastly, BLACKPINK fans BLINK is the third-largest consumption group after Army and Once. On average, a fan would spend USD 665. According to calculations, USD 349 on merchandise and USD 161 on albums. Spending on concert tickets is about USD 155. BLINK appeared to purchase less than Army and Once; however, this is mostly due to the group’s short period of activities. BLACKPINK is still quite influential given the fact that the group did not spend a lot of time promoting albums and concerts. So YG, BLINKs are willing to spend the money, but you must let BLACKPINK comeback more often! After all, it wasn't until last year when BLACKPINK released their first full album “The Album.”

BLACKPINK also ranked second on the October Billboard album ranking, and they became to first girl group to reach 1 million cumulative album sales. They are also the second most subscribed artist, right behind Justin Bieber.

10-8.jpg

In addition, Kpop reached the highest export record in history. According to the South Korea tax agency, Korean export has reached 170 million USD from January 2020 to November 2020, which marked a 94.9% increase compared to the previous period. The numbers also doubled that of 2017. Kpop fans have also expanded from Asian regions like Japan and China to the US, Europe, and South America. Countries that import Kpop albums has increased from 78 in 2017 to 114 in 2020.

The Kpop wave has expanded to the entire world. Kpop is all around us, and most people have probably heard of at least one or two songs before. It is certainly not easy to be a die-hard fan; not only do we need the energy to support our idols, but we also need money to purchase the goods!

Last edited:

ARandomFan

(っ◔◡◔)っ<3 Content+ Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭773,045
Pronouns
idk
OOPS I messed up. I swear I read month in the same line, but it was the next line LOL Not each month, just on average. Sorry! I updated the article.
I mean. I’d believe each month tbh lmao :iwillfightyou:
Still a very insightful article regardless!

Vanilla Cupcake

뉴이스트 ❤️ 동호회 🐯 Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭606,065
I mean. I’d believe each month tbh lmao :iwillfightyou:
Still a very insightful article regardless!
Ngl knowing some of these fans personally, I believe it too hahaha

I know people spend that much money just to win an opportunity to go to a fan sign. My friend told me people just straight up throw away albums coz they only need to buy them to enter the raffle for fan meetings. So cray, but I admire their determination lol

MedicationHelps87

Bounced Back 2024 Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,488,851
Pronouns
He/Him
They never mention Australia. I bought the album from here.
As well as buying all the other cds from South Korea.

Australian market for Korean pop must be so small compared to other countries I bet.

Top Bottom