BREAKING NEWS Google threatens to withdraw search engine from Australia

MedicationHelps87

Bi Racial Ruler Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,500,501
Pronouns
He/Him
Google has threatened to remove its search engine from Australia over the nation's attempt to make the tech giant share royalties with news publishers.
Australia is introducing a world-first law to make Google, Facebook and potentially other tech companies pay media outlets for their news content.
But the US firms have fought back, warning the law would make them withdraw some of their services.
Australian PM Scott Morrison said lawmakers would not yield to "threats".
Australia is far from Google's largest market, but the proposed news code is seen as a possible global test case for how governments could seek to regulate big tech firms.
Tech firms have faced increasing pressure to pay for news content in other countries, including France, where Google struck a landmark deal with media outlets on Thursday.
In Australia, the proposed news code would tie Google and Facebook to mediated negotiations with publishers over the value of news content, if no agreement could be reached first.
Google Australia managing director Mel Silva told a Senate hearing on Friday that the laws were "unworkable".

"If this version of the code were to become law, it would give us no real choice but to stop making Google Search available in Australia," she said.
But lawmakers challenged this, accusing Google of "blackmail" and bullying Australia for raising the reform.
Mr Morrison said his government remained committed to progressing the laws through parliament this year.
"Let me be clear: Australia makes our rules for things you can do in Australia. That's done in our parliament," he told reporters on Friday.

Source: BBC.com

My question on this. Will gmail and youtube ultimately be affected as well, or just google search engine?

I use gmail a lot and also google search and youtube, so I am rather scared of this news NGL.

Last edited:

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭255,150
Google like other huge firms are getting more and more power, it's going to be an issue in the future if not already today

MedicationHelps87

Bi Racial Ruler Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,500,501
Pronouns
He/Him
Google like other huge firms are getting more and more power, it's going to be an issue in the future if not already today
Yep... Without a doubt.
I know through the comments on youtube I saw, people are fine with using another search engine.
But I for one am not.

Never liked 'Bing' and I never liked any of the other ones out there.
Google was my go to for everything.

Last edited:

Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭463,659
Australia trying to be a dictator yet again, kek they don't have to share any royalties
It's the news sites fault that they can't make the money.
Thanks, Australia for killing Amazon in this country. Anticipating the google purge
:darkkermit: :darkkermit: :darkkermit:

MedicationHelps87

Bi Racial Ruler Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,500,501
Pronouns
He/Him
Australia trying to be a dictator yet again, kek they don't have to share any royalties
It's the news sites fault that they can't make the money.
Thanks, Australia for killing Amazon in this country. Anticipating the google purge
:darkkermit: :darkkermit: :darkkermit:
I was thinking that as well.
We already have it rough as the guts with China.
And now this...

I just wish there could be a compromise made or something.

Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭463,659
I was thinking that as well.
We already have it rough as the guts with China.
And now this...

I just wish there could be a compromise made or something.
I want Google, Weibo and Amazon. But the government says no bc they want taxes
The 1% yet again killing it for the rest of us
:okbye:

MedicationHelps87

Bi Racial Ruler Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,500,501
Pronouns
He/Him
I want Google, Weibo and Amazon. But the government says no bc they want taxes
The 1% yet again killing it for the rest of us
:okbye:
Exactly. we all suffer made by someone's head decision making... ugh.
Do they even care about the fallout for the rest of us... probably not.

I used Amazon years ago, but haven't for many years, due to me having other sources to get my imports of music.

rosie

• ♔ • Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭17,750
Damn, I remember Google trying to get me to sign a petition when I tried to search for something a few months back. The company name is now considered a verb (i.e. 'googling' something) because the search engine is so widely used. A real shame if they do get removed. I'll probably start to feel like I'm living in caveman times.

My workplace relies on pretty much all of the google tools to function (search, mail, yt, drive, docs, ppt, meet, jamboard). Rip them if google gets removed.

Top Bottom