Have you tried learning Korean? Why or why not.

Regina

별빛 꽃길
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,040
So I've decided to buckle down & learn Korean.

I'm late to the game as I've been listening to K-pop now since like 2007, but I guess it's never too late to learn a language. It's not something that anyone needs to do, because K-pop is so international these days that everything is subbed, but there's something about being able to understand the language myself, & maybe someday speaking with my idols directly that appeals to me. (And I fully intend on meeting Exo or D.O. in the future & being able to communicate with them, BUT that's another story.)

Anyway, have you tried learning Korean? Why or why not.

anh

🍑 Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,927,260
i've always tried learning it by myself through mobile apps, but never had the motivation to last more than a week. finally decided to buckle down and take a class at uni, partly because i need to fulfill a foreign language for my degree so i thought i might as well learn something that i'm interested in.

vortex

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,205
I've learned Hangul, but that's about it..
I really need to buckle down and learn it, but as a college student w/ millions of things that need to be finished all the time... it's quite hard :hehe:

denizen mars

Lesbian Potato Goddess
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,250
I have, but I am not consistent about it (I think I need an in person class or something that I have to commit to to make me study). 😅 Been into kpop since 2011, have picked up bits here and there over the course of being a fan, only started consciously trying to learn the language a couple years ago

I don't want to meet idols or catch an oppa (or unnie in my case....) but I do want to travel to korea someday and perhaps work there and I want to be more confident in my language abilities before I do so (I'm like really bad at languages and not being able to be understood makes me really nervous). Plus I have an interest in korean history and feminism and it'd be nice to be able to read sources that are not in english (of which there are some, but not nearly as many).

soozie

✴︎ Events Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭88,533
I really want to but I haven't found the time to properly learn it yet.

A Flower4ever

❤ #AlwaysWithTwice #OT9ForEver ❤ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭281,245
I would like to learn Korean. I have the Duolingo app. in my mobile, but, don't use it because I don't have enough time to give it the time it deserves.

Maybe in the future I'll make time to learn, when I am not so busy as I would love to go someday to SK, understand the Korean dramas without subs, and sing along to Kpop songs.

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
I studied proper 1st grade Korean. After that I moved out and lived in Brazil. Korean community there would have decent to good places to learn Korean. I got till equivalent to 3rd grade and from there I started slacking off. When I reached my teen years, I got to my angst stages and completely ignored my Korean studies for stupid reasons. I regret not taking these seriously as a adult who had to learn another new language, I don't have much opportunity to learn properly again.

I'm fine for everyday Korean, but anything more complicated I will need subs.

Regina

별빛 꽃길
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,040
i've always tried learning it by myself through mobile apps, but never had the motivation to last more than a week. finally decided to buckle down and take a class at uni, partly because i need to fulfill a foreign language for my degree so i thought i might as well learn something that i'm interested in.

That's what I've always done with languages lol. Like I tried learning Spanish & Russian for yearsss but never had the discipline to stick with it. It's cool that you're taking a class though! Is it paying off?

I've learned Hangul, but that's about it..
I really need to buckle down and learn it, but as a college student w/ millions of things that need to be finished all the time... it's quite hard :hehe:

Hangul is probably the easiest thing about Korean. I learned it in less than a day. But yeah, having the time to learn a language is important & honestly that's probably my biggest hurdle nowadays too.

anh

🍑 Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,927,260
That's what I've always done with languages lol. Like I tried learning Spanish & Russian for yearsss but never had the discipline to stick with it. It's cool that you're taking a class though! Is it paying off?

Hangul is probably the easiest thing about Korean. I learned it in less than a day. But yeah, having the time to learn a language is important & honestly that's probably my biggest hurdle nowadays too.

oh this is only my 2nd week of school so i can't tell if it's paying off yet. i'm also enrolled in the most basic class (101) so i'll have to work my way up

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭7,530
tried to take classes for it when i had foreign language in second year, but the slots went out too fast LMAO
but no, i've never been truly motivated to learn it

and then i came to realize that the Koreans who move to my country don't even bother to learn our native language either (like, stayed for at least a decade... they only come here to learn english)
and i'm petty so i don't wanna learn theirs lmao

Last edited:

Chomiczewska

Hamster First Place HoE Chomi
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭25,438,649
No, I don't like to understand the music I am listening to, that's the reason I never liked Polish songs and dropped English ones after I got decent in the language (the only exceptions are songs from the cartoons/animated films)

minto

Priki priki~ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭34,225
No, I don't like to understand the music I am listening to, that's the reason I never liked Polish songs and dropped English ones after I got decent in the language (the only exceptions are songs from the cartoons/animated films)

Wow, I thought I was the only weird one. I listen to kpop to sleep, so it's actually better this way without making sense of the lyrics.

I did try learning it back in 2015 tho. It was together with Japanese classes, which probably left me confused for both.

Last edited:

fromisSakura

Jelly | Seoyeon best girl VIP+ Donor Early SupportersTop Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,646,000
Yes. Because I am interested in it but at the same time, I am too lazy to learn it

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭160,450
I bought a book to learn but I'm also too lazy :LOL:

I've learn the alphabet however

Top Bottom