How are new gen groups compared to WJSN?

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
:TzuyuKek:

I don't want to be too mean. But @Seriously how can new gen compete? 5 vocals, 5 dancers, 13 visuals , incredible concepts, legendary stages, historic starship gg sales(its incredible how much they've sold) actresses, vocal queens, variety comedians, Chinity legends, etc, etc,etc

I do like Weeekly, Itzy and GWSN alot but who else can be a WJSN, Gfriend, or OMG? Is there hope for the 2nd and 3rd tier New 4th gen ggs?

Last edited:

kimsguardian

🄳🄾🄾🅁🚪 Sixth Place HoETop Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,563,220
Pronouns
He/Him
this is interesting
79aqCcU.gif

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭278,050
It's hard/unfair to compare or to compete groups from different generation. Older groups had time to show more, etc. Rather compare WJSN to similar generation

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
It's hard/unfair to compare or to compete groups from different generation. Older groups had time to show more, etc. Rather compare WJSN to similar generation

That's a very true point, Rookie 3rd gen could never compete with SNSD and others just as new rookie gen can't really compete with 3rd gen vast experiences and achievements. But I think what I mean is, their potential. Do you think there are any groups that have amazing talent or something that would put them in a comparable state as the best of 2nd and 3rd gen ggs ?

BianTwo

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭278,050
That's a very true point, Rookie 3rd gen could never compete with SNSD and others just as new rookie gen can't really compete with 3rd gen vast experiences and achievements. But I think what I mean is, their potential. Do you think there are any groups that have amazing talent or something that would put them in a comparable state as the best of 2nd and 3rd gen ggs ?

It's too early to tell I think.

Some groups are really great performance or talent wise but lack in variety skills, in personnality or lack to appeal more fans because they are still rookie or simply "nugu". It's better to let them improve and let them grow.

2nd Gen, in my mind, focused on stage presence, charisma. They weren't the best dancers and their choreographies weren't the "hardest" (of course still some exceptions) but on stage they put the whole scene on fire.
3rd Gen in my opinion is the beginning of a sort of "professionalization", with bigger competition, with K-pop being more known worldwide, with the "survival show" mode, it's the time label were searching for the best performers, with detailled and "robotic" choreographies (no freestyle), and talented (playing an instrument, acting, any other talents).

My impression about this 4th gen is that they don't look like rookies when they perform, as if they already have the best training and many experiences, but it's the beginning.
Don't forget nostalgia, emotions and memories. If for your first time you fell for a 2nd gen group, this group will be forever your number one. You will eventually love another group when this one isn't active anymore, probably one from the 3rd gen. So the 4th gen ? They are still babies with much to prove.

To conclude and mention some groups, if you want me to bet :

We've seen ITZY, of course from a big label, no doubt they wiil be popular and successful. Lovely idols, heavily performance focused. Same for SM and YG's NGG.

What about out of the BIG3 ?
Big Hit's NGG ? Nothing to say since we don't know anything
Starship's NGG with Yujin and Wonyoung ? This group could be amazing when you know how well Yujin and Wonyoung handled things, but I fear the huge popularity gap with other members.
Weeekly ? Purple Kiss ? As a said it's too early to tell even if they are promising. Same for any others groups like Rocket Punch, etc.

They will especially need an iconic song, a song who will be played on variety shows or by other celebrities even years after it's release.

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
I wouldn't compare Gfriend's rise with WJSN or OMG since they came from big companies and had decent success from the start

I certainly do agree GFriend are different in terms of career path and a lot of success, but in terms of quality of group I would say they are all top tier non big 3 for what I am looking at. In some way or another they have all reached a great deal of success( with WJSN and OMG of course its a much more longer and awkward story), but still they have all achieved great things which no one really thought they would tbh.

It's too early to tell I think.

Some groups are really great performance or talent wise but lack in variety skills, in personnality or lack to appeal more fans because they are still rookie or simply "nugu". It's better to let them improve and let them grow.

2nd Gen, in my mind, focused on stage presence, charisma. They weren't the best dancers and their choreographies weren't the "hardest" (of course still some exceptions) but on stage they put the whole scene on fire.
3rd Gen in my opinion is the beginning of a sort of "professionalization", with bigger competition, with K-pop being more known worldwide, with the "survival show" mode, it's the time label were searching for the best performers, with detailled and "robotic" choreographies (no freestyle), and talented (playing an instrument, acting, any other talents).

My impression about this 4th gen is that they don't look like rookies when they perform, as if they already have the best training and many experiences, but it's the beginning.
Don't forget nostalgia, emotions and memories. If for your first time you fell for a 2nd gen group, this group will be forever your number one. You will eventually love another group when this one isn't active anymore, probably one from the 3rd gen. So the 4th gen ? They are still babies with much to prove.

To conclude and mention some groups, if you want me to bet :

We've seen ITZY, of course from a big label, no doubt they wiil be popular and successful. Lovely idols, heavily performance focused. Same for SM and YG's NGG.

What about out of the BIG3 ?
Big Hit's NGG ? Nothing to say since we don't know anything
Starship's NGG with Yujin and Wonyoung ? This group could be amazing when you know how well Yujin and Wonyoung handled things, but I fear the huge popularity gap with other members.
Weeekly ? Purple Kiss ? As a said it's too early to tell even if they are promising. Same for any others groups like Rocket Punch, etc.

They will especially need an iconic song, a song who will be played on variety shows or by other celebrities even years after it's release.

Yeah I think to me first you need a decent song, and then stage presence and then variety. Sometimes that will take a while to develop...

From the rookies I've seen, I like a lot of them tbh. However, the music has been kinda disappointing compared to 3rd gen rookies, I know trends happen n stuff but I'm hoping the next few comebacks we can see some differentiation in their concepts.

ITZY has proven themselves to me but that's cheating because big 3 are different lol/

Weeekly I like a lot but still really early, GWSN are my music faves of the new gen.

I am definitely looking at Starship new gg with Yujin and Wonyoung, also that SM group I hear is supposed to come out in the next few years :TzuyuKek:

I am tbh hopeful there is talent and confidence imo we just need some actual bops:RichPar:

BianTwo

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭278,050
Yeah I think to me first you need a decent song, and then stage presence and then variety. Sometimes that will take a while to develop...

From the rookies I've seen, I like a lot of them tbh. However, the music has been kinda disappointing compared to 3rd gen rookies, I know trends happen n stuff but I'm hoping the next few comebacks we can see some differentiation in their concepts.

ITZY has proven themselves to me but that's cheating because big 3 are different lol/

Weeekly I like a lot but still really early, GWSN are my music faves of the new gen.

That's the impression I had by reading many comments (at least from international fans), songs were kinda disappointing since 2018 for most of them, or not enough impactful, memorable.

If 2018 groups are in :
fromis_9 (okay they are my current ult so there is a bias :ROFLMAO: ) for performance, music and variety, but if OTR let them comeback only once per year that won't do it.
Nature for variety and I hope they can pursuit with their "Girls" concept because it was a nice fresh air, even the MV. They still can alternate with brighter and cuter comeback as before.
G-IDLE ? Already "big" for me, they only need Cube to not make mistakes or bad choices when managing them
GWSN had their distinct sound and they are trying hard to release many contents with hard ENG subs. Sadly they don't sell that well.

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
That's the impression I had by reading many comments (at least from international fans), songs were kinda disappointing since 2018 for most of them, or not enough impactful, memorable.

If 2018 groups are in :
fromis_9 (okay they are my current ult so there is a bias :ROFLMAO: ) for performance, music and variety, but if OTR let them comeback only once per year that won't do it.
Nature for variety and I hope they can pursuit with their "Girls" concept because it was a nice fresh air, even the MV. They still can alternate with brighter and cuter comeback as before.
G-IDLE ? Already "big" for me, they only need Cube to not make mistakes or bad choices when managing them
GWSN had their distinct sound and they are trying hard to release many contents with hard ENG subs. Sadly they don't sell that well.

Yeah same tbh, I dont expect anyone to do what g-idle did tbh they explode in popularity which for non big 3 is extremely hard.

fromis 9 is sad story, they are really good group so I hope they can come back soon

Nature I like Oopsy my bad a lot keke

I wonder if GWSN and Nature can grow more? It seems pretty hard to grow a fandom :RichPar:

BianTwo

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭278,050
I wonder if GWSN and Nature can grow more? It seems pretty hard to grow a fandom

It's going to be hard to be honest

I see two solutions :

- They do a Momoland 2018 with a song who will become HUGE in Korea and everywhere else in the world. That won't bring 50k hardcore fans but they will be known for sure by the public and any kpop followers so they will probably get more CFs, being invited on shows and more
- A member stands out, being the face of the group, having every commercials, carrying her group. Lena for GWSN for example. For Nature I still can't tell who's the most popular/known, maybe Sohee or Saebom :unsure:

I'll add a third one : a Oh My Girl path, slowly rising until their 4-5th year and finally getting the recognition. But OMG had some noticable members even before getting popular : Arin the cute, Seunghee the comedian, Yooa's visual and body

Top Bottom