How did you first hear about/get into JPOP?

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
There was an anime programming block on a channel I would watch when I was younger. I said hold the anime, I'll take the music, and I made a mix of different anime songs that I liked (that I could also download from Kazaa) My first jpop purchase was from the now-defunct Tofu Records which was I think Sony's attempt at exporting jpop, but they had like a jpop songs compilation set (most of which were from anime, not that I knew that). I then bought, from the same label, a Polysics album and an X Japan album and then it was over. I was Japanophile trash from there on out.

kimsguardian

🄳🄾🄾🅁🚪 Sixth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭982,220
Pronouns
He/Him
idk this count as jpop or not but it all starts from j-drama, proposal daisakusen to exact (of course i watched it bcs of masami nagasawa)
that series has such a great ost. this one.

turns out i love this kind of japanese song. this one also a very memorable ost

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
There was an anime programming block on a channel I would watch when I was younger. I said hold the anime, I'll take the music, and I made a mix of different anime songs that I liked (that I could also download from Kazaa) My first jpop purchase was from the now-defunct Tofu Records which was I think Sony's attempt at exporting jpop, but they had like a jpop songs compilation set (most of which were from anime, not that I knew that). I then bought, from the same label, a Polysics album and an X Japan album and then it was over. I was Japanophile trash from there on out.
wow they got you good :ohmygod:I'm impressed
all the anime songs we had were localized and we didn't get much anime either

idk this count as jpop or not but it all starts from j-drama, proposal daisakusen to exact (of course i watched it bcs of masami nagasawa)
that series has such a great ost. this one.

turns out i love this kind of japanese song. this one also a very memorable ost

Any J-music will do, and certainly Jrock!

I first heard J-pop songs after my friend showed me songs from Utada Hikaru
What Utada songs do you like?

Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭720,808
wow they got you good :ohmygod:I'm impressed
all the anime songs we had were localized and we didn't get much anime either

Any J-music will do, and certainly Jrock!

What Utada songs do you like?
I like First Love, Automatic, Keep Tryin' :HappyPar:

Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭671,359
Anyone in Aus would know of Pop Asia, It's a tv show/radiostation that broadcasts Asian music (mostly Kpop/Jpop with a few Cpop/Vpop sprinkled in)
I first came across Jpop there I think. It was a Yui song iirc

S

Some

Man this is hard because i really have a shitty memory. I think it was from j drama yeah i watched anime since i was a fetus but didnt know that it came from japan till i was a teenager and the ost was dubbed i started watching subbed anime when i was a teen but didnt care much about the ost at the same time i had just got into kpop and kdrama and the sites that i watch kdrama from had jdrama too so i watched that and read some news here and there and watched the famous jpop mvs like heavy rotation these sites had the story then the cast and when i clicked on it i noticed some were also singers but i didnt pay much attention forgive me if this sounds me im writing as i remember again shitty memory. I got into kpop and kdrama in 2011 and watched a fee jdramas but didnt get to deep was too focused on kpop i cant multitask to save my life. Continued to watch j drama from time to time though then in 2013 i remember reading more about jpop and watching the big mvs not sure if its 2013 but what im sure of is back then for some reason i got into kattun because of their dramas i guess and learned what johnnys were and yeah i think i learned what akb was by watching the drama they did with bakaleya6 > some of them are in sixtones and snowman now. And i remember reading the synopsis for an e-girls drama but did care or watch i didnt know how to get into jpop or care anymore so i stopped stanning shorty went back to being a kpop/kdrama/variety fan ocassianly watching jdrama until late 2016 got into e girls and ldh stayed for a while couldnt handle the mess also got into sakamichi and still stan the hell out of those angels <3. My first video would probably be the ost exile did for tokyo dogs i think not sure

sorry for boring you with the long post but its like my life a complicated story 🤣 and again shitty memory and when i get excited i just dont shut up 🤣

Baymax

(•—•)
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,400
Through anime; I really liked the openings and endings of Shugo Chara! and got into Buono!, then slowly into some Hello! Project groups.

Bellamy

Be strong, be brave〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭29,760,214
Pronouns
She/Her
Well thanks to anime....i've watched a lot of animes since i was a little kid, so i heard lots of openings and endings....but it was during my teenager years that i realized what is jpop. I was more into jrock rather than jpop, but i have a fav song that i always remember: LolitA strawberry in summerby SweetS (4th ending of Asobotto Senki Goku).

Chiharu

The Worst Girl in the World Events VIP+ Tenth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,048,132
Through anime! Magical doremi, yugioh, and dragonball z were a part of the Saturday morning lineup I'd watch all the time, and I loved them. When I got older I started watching anime online, and I was really impressed with the op/ed's and osts. :heartublob:I've loved Japanese music since then

Also, there was a period of my life in like, 2014 where I was really into visual kei....not sure how I discovered it, but I loved the fashion

Chomiczewska

Hamster First Place HoE Chomi
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭25,438,649
I think I didn't really knew about jpop until I got into kpop, but I did hear about Hatsune Miku and vocaloids since people liked to use them as memes

milkshrine

girl group stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭16,000
i started watching majisuka gakuen, completely unaware it had anything to do with akb48 and then found out about akb48 through it !! the idea of a rly large group of idols appealed to me and i've been a jpop/48g stan ever since :]

Irizea

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,100
i got into jpop for the first time around 2008 i think, with buono! (thank you shugo chara <3 my fav song was minna daisuki btw), then i knew about vocaloid like two years later
but i really started to love jpop in 2013 with akb48 !

MedicationHelps87

Bounced Back 2024 Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,488,851
Pronouns
He/Him
Through anime originally and my twin recommending a few artists.
Haven't looked back since, in fact it's thriving for me than it has ever been, music collection wise.

Top Bottom