How many of these obscure/underwatched/underrated animes you watched?

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
Inspired by カカロット

At first I pondered about making a list with all animes I finished watching, but it would be impractical, so I thought about just making a list of weird shit I watched over the years. However, reflecting a bit more about this idea,it would be just pointless. Most of them aren't really good watches anyway to deserve mentioning. Most of them are not even bad, just forgettable which is worse.

So I decided for obscure enough for the casual Western otaku. Underwatched is a better term. There are some really obscure ones, but some of them aren't really. They are even influential series in Japan, but for some reason didn't make much impact outside Japan. Some were popular at the release, but it didn't get a following after. I added some bad ones as well which at least one should be obvious. I tried to add lot of series from different eras. Oddly enough lot of stuff from 2000s are underwatched/obscure (maybe because it was an awkward time for the anime industry). I'd think most obscure shit would be 70s and 80s, but there are lot of stuff are from 2000s. I think I may have added just one from post 2015. Maybe it's too soon to judge them as such.

My criteria is MyAnimeList. If the anime has less than 25K users, it should be obscure enough for the intention of the list. A couple of them are close to 50K, so not so unknown series, but I added them just because I feel like they should be at least 100K+. I added some with less than 2K (a couple of them just have over 1K, they deserve some love), so if you watched these kudos to you.

Take this post as a sorta recommendation list without much criteria. If you feel like checking some of them, it could be a nice random surprise!

Bellamy

Be strong, be brave〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭31,230,714
Pronouns
She/Her
Just one: Ashita no Nadja, thanks to Cartoon Network.

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
Just a commentary for each anime in the list:

Aru Tabibito No Nikki: about 20K user. I think it's a pretty unique animation instead of considering anime. It's also short and no committal.

Ashita no Nadja: about 21K. I really like shoujou and historical series. Pretty underwatched IMO. It did make an impact in Japan, but not many takers outside Japan it seems.

Attack No1: Just around 6K. Pretty old series. I think it's an influential series, but it's been a while I watched it and probably didn't age well. If you are OK with 60s/70s Japanese animation, I guess it's a fine watch for historical reasons. Otherwise, if you want an oldie, just start with Marco (just shy of 7K).

Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo: not really obscure with 65K. Still I think it's underwatched.

Burn Up: 6K. I remember this had a following during the early 90s, but I guess it burned up :JudgyDubu:

Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman: almost 4k. I wanted to add a so bad it's good anime and I had something else in mind, but this one has a catchy title. For this category, actually this one isn't that bad.

C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control: this one is over 200K, so not obscure, but for a not so old series, it seems a bit forgotten although it has a unique theme.

Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna: almost 25K. Maybe it's a bit preachy, but I like this series. If you are an "ecoterrorist", you may like it.

Cooking Master Boy: 13K. When people talks about foodie anime, people may think Shokugeki no Soma, Toriko, or hell even Yakitate Japan. Not me. Cooking Master Boy is the shit for me. This one is more shonen-ish and dramatic in comparison to the more popular ones.

Dead Leaves: 63K. Dunno why this didn't blow up like FLCL. Similar vibe.

Eden's Bowy: 5K. During the early 2000s, I think people would recommend this series, but it kinda got forgotten.

Fushigi No Umi No Nadia: 44k. My favorite criminally underwatched series. Maybe it's too old, but still. If you enjoyed Gainax series, you ought to check it. Just skip the useless arc.

Gallery Fake: 10K. Another underwatched series.

Glass No Kamen (2005): 27K. This is probably the most influential anime no one watched in the West from my list. Seriously, it influenced the shoujo genre. Lot of series satire or reference it. If you enjoy shoujo, at least the manga is a must read.

I My Me! Strawberry Eggs: 31K. I think it was pretty popular back then in the 2000s.

Jinki: Extend: almost 10K. It didn't make a buzz. It's one of those 2000s series that fail to make an impact. Maybe it's too average.

Jungle Wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu: 28K. I guess this type of comedy isn't popular anymore, but it was all the rage back then. Definitively underwatched.

Kemono No Souja Erin: 61K. This is basically the Game of Thrones of kids show (or maybe the Legend of the Galactic Heroes of kids show). It's so good. Usually people thing anime for kids is pretty lame, but not this one. When it was released, it was a hidden gem, but people are getting wiser about this one.

Key the Metal Idol: 13K. I think this one started to get more popular when the original DVD became sorta a collector's item (not anymore I think), but it's a hidden gem.

Knight Hunters: (or Weis Kreuz). 15K. Back in the day, this one was kinda popular. It's kinda Vampire Knights of the day, but lamer.

Kowabon: 27K. It's one of the newest of the list. Even this one has more than 20K because it's contemporary. It's a very no committal Japanese horror. Very short. A bit lame, but it had some moments.

La Maison En Petit Cubes: 70K. Another animation that doesn't feel like anime. It won an Oscar. Just two animes have this honor!

Lili to Kaeru To: or Lily, Frogs, and Little Brother. Just over 1K! No one reviewed it yet at MAL. Maybe I should be the first one? It's a kids OVA. I think it was OK.

Mahoraba: Heartful Days: 20K. I really like the manga, so I was excited for the anime. I guess I was the only one :feelsblankie:

Mahoujin Guru Guru: original run at 8K. 2017 run at 25K. Another new one. However, this one isn't obscure in Japan. I guess this type of comedy/satire doesn't do well outside Japan. First time I came accross the series was as Super Famicon game.

Martian Successor Nadesico: 40K. It's not really obscure, but it's getting forgotten over time and it doesn't deserve it.

Megazone 23: 12K. Probably more people watched some of it as Robotech. It's a little dated now.

Midori: 18K. The most infamous obscure anime movie. I think it's a worthy watch just for the history of its production. However, read about it before dwelling into it.

Oh! Edo Rocket: 10K. This one flopped and I don't know why. It's a pretty fun series and pretty weird paced as well.

Pet Shop of Horrors: 26K. I guess it was considered obscure back in the day. Not so much nowaday. The manga is cool.

Please Save My Earth: 11K. The manga is pretty good and this OVA doesn't quite do justice, but it's still a good watch.

Riki-Oh: Toukatsu Jigoku: 2.5K. Oh boy, do you want to watch a bad Hokuto no Ken. If yes, this is for you. It's horrible, but it's funny because of the badness.

Rocket Girls: 6K. One of those 2000s series that flops. It has an interesting premise and fine execution, but it's kinda forgettable.

Sexy Commando Gaiden: 10K. With a title like this, you should expect awesome and it delivers. It's bad, but this one doesn't give a fuck.

Shin Angyo Onshi: 16K. The manhwa is awesome, but this adaptation is kinda meh in comparison.

Sketchbook: Full Color's: 23K. One of my favorite slice of life series. It's very relaxing.

Sugar Sugar Rune: 26K. It had some traction at start, but it kinda fade away. I think it deserves more watchers if you are fan of mahou shoujo.

Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space: 6K. Dunno why this isn't more talked about. This is a pretty weird one. Maybe too artsy fartsy.

Terra E...: 49K. I think it's underwatched. It's a pretty epic sci-fi with very 60s/70s visual with a new look.

Tentai Senshi Sunred: 18K. Another comedy/satire. Again it seems to never catch on. It's pretty good if you are into this sorta stuff.

The Hakkenden: 6K. I think people used to recommend this more, but it fades away as it didn't age well like similar series of the time.

Tobira Wo Akete: 3k. I don't remember this one well This is an odd one, but still forgettable.

Touch: 23K. If you liked Cross Game, maybe try this one. However, if you though Cross Game was slow, this one will be very sluggish. 101 episodes.

Twin Spica: 8K. This is a kids show that I wish I watched when I was a kid. It looks pretty unassuming, but I enjoyed it very much.

URDA: 3K. It was getting some notoriety as a bad anime. However, it's the baffling kind. If you hate yourself, check it and feel guilt for wasting 30 minutes of your life on this one.

Windaria: almost 7K. First time I watched I thought it was decent, but on a second watch it's kinda meh. It didn't age well.

Wonderful Days: almost 30K. A Korean anime. I liked it at first, but it's kinda mediocre by today's standard. Just pretty weak characters and story with decent animation at the time. Maybe check it because it's Korean?

Yousei Florence: 1.5K. First time I heard of this one, the very few people who watched it lauded it for it's animation production, so I was excited. However, although technically good, if you are a layman, you will not notice this technical shit. It's basically a poor man's Fantasia.

Zettai Shounen: 15K. I really love this one. However, it's an acquire taste. The pacing is very odd. You may watch the first six episodes and still don't quite grasp what this is about or trying to say. For the most part of the first arc it's absolutely about nothing till you get it in the conclusion. Not many people will have patience for this sorta storytelling no matter how good it is and that's why not many watched it.

Zipang: almost 15K. For how impactful WW2 was for Japan, not many series touch this era. It is a sensible thing for sure, but with care you can tell a good story about anything and I think this delivers.

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
wow i only got one...touch. but only because it's about baseball and I loved the manga author's other work: Cross Game

Dragon of the West

Iroh VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭798,250
Oml I didn't even get a single one lol! But now I'm gonna use this as a recommendation list and try to get to as many of them before the year ends!

Top Bottom