I want to get into Final Fantasy

yerm

I can make the beat go! Graphics Lead Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,505,706
Pronouns
she/her
So where should I start? I got a Switch and 3DS and I'm borrowing out a PS2. I'd be mainly focused on the Switch tbh as a console and I'm looking at the eStore now but idk where to start. Preferably I'd like one of the ones with nice graphics but eh. Give me some advice?

Bobo

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,100
9 is my absolute fav!!!
the best characters and story!!!
ivbLlSy.gif

then 10 is really good and the story is cool too
ivbLlSy.gif

i have never finished 8 but i like it more than some other
ivbLlSy.gif

7 is the msot popular tho so most will recommend you that one
ivbLlSy.gif

12 and 13 (and all the other 13s) introduce new ways of fighting. between these i like 12 more
13's story is too sad and futuristic
ivbLlSy.gif

15 isn't my fav, but it's good to play once at least
ivbLlSy.gif

Ulmicola

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭88,990
Every chapter from 6 to 10 is great, but 6 and 7 have not aged well when it comes to graphics, and 8 is kind of the weakest out of all the PlayStation era chapters (even though it's still way better than whatever Square's coming up with right now, that's for sure) so you could try and get 9 or 10, depending on whether you like fantasy or science fiction more; they're fairly light hearted entries too, compared to the bleakness of 6 and 7 and the absolute mindfuck that is 8. :p

12 is good too (the last good FF game, in my opinion) but its mechanics diverge a lot from classic FF mechanics, even though they're closer to the modern ones.

yerm

I can make the beat go! Graphics Lead Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,505,706
Pronouns
she/her
9 is my absolute fav!!!
the best characters and story!!!
ivbLlSy.gif

then 10 is really good and the story is cool too
ivbLlSy.gif

i have never finished 8 but i like it more than some other
ivbLlSy.gif

7 is the msot popular tho so most will recommend you that one
ivbLlSy.gif

12 and 13 (and all the other 13s) introduce new ways of fighting. between these i like 12 more
13's story is too sad and futuristic
ivbLlSy.gif

15 isn't my fav, but it's good to play once at least
ivbLlSy.gif

Oh wow thanks for the advice! Could you tell me what X and X-2 are? I can't get my head around if that means they're 10 and 12 or something else :viva:

Every chapter from 6 to 10 is great, but 6 and 7 have not aged well when it comes to graphics, and 8 is kind of the weakest out of all the PlayStation era chapters (even though it's still way better than whatever Square's coming up with right now, that's for sure) so you could try and get 9 or 10, depending on whether you like fantasy or science fiction more; they're fairly light hearted entries too, compared to the bleakness of 6 and 7 and the absolute mindfuck that is 8. :p

12 is good too (the last good FF game, in my opinion) but its mechanics diverge a lot from classic FF mechanics, even though they're closer to the modern ones.

Thank you! Sounds like 9 and 10 might be the ones for me!

lilsone

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭17,620
Start with ffx that one is amazing, if you ok with kinda sad storyline than ffvii that one is pretty good too. But whoever's you choose let me warning you, if you start with ff you will never be the same again.... it's very addicting!!

Ulmicola

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭88,990
Oh wow thanks for the advice! Could you tell me what X and X-2 are? I can't get my head around if that means they're 10 and 12 or something else :viva:

X-2 is the sequel to X, but 12 is another story entirely. I know, confusing. :p

X-2 is also the easiest and most light hearted entry in the series, it's this close to being blatant yuri fanservice in my opinion.

Bobo

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,100

X is 10 and x-2 is 10 but another story after 10
ivbLlSy.gif

SJK

Stan Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭11,410
9 is my favorite too. But I would play 6-10 in numerical order, simply because I played them that way as a kid and I can't imagine learning the series out of order. There's something about chronologically seeing how much better the graphics got with every game. :heartublob:

Oh and play Tactics. Fun, fun.

A

Aerith

I'd highly recommend FFX, that was my personal introduction into it and is probably still my favorite one. Also, FFXII was another I really liked and a solid choice. The combat is different than a lot of the others though.

Kaitoh

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭91,970
Any final fantasy apart from 2,8 and 13 are really good. You should get an emulator of psp and download ff 4, it's the most "final fantasy" game of them all, it has its flaws but that's where the series really starts picking up. Also it's a nice way to get into the franchise and all the mechanics since it's not a hard game.

Bobo

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,100
I'd highly recommend FFX, that was my personal introduction into it and is probably still my favorite one. Also, FFXII was another I really liked and a solid choice. The combat is different than a lot of the others though.
Not you recommending anything except 8
Rinoa
ivbLlSy.gif

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
Just play Final Fantasy Mystic Quest :TzuyuKek: (well being serious it has a kick ass soundtrack and you can finish it in one sitting).

The newest FF are fine, but I dunno if they represent FF well. They are kinda awkward as FF goes. Graphically they are pretty good.

For more classic FF I guess 4, 5, and 6 are the ones. The SNES era still holds up IMO. If you need to just choose one, I think 6 is the best representative of this era. I like the graphics better than PS1 era, but that's just me probably. Dunno how the remakes or remastered versions are and if they are better graphically. For me I'd emulate them as well like suggested.

PS1 era, I like 9 the best, but 7 is the most popular and you should play in preparation for the remake I think. I like 8 as well. The story is a trainwreck even for modern FF standards and some people don't like the game system, but I enjoyed it. Still if you have to skip, this is the one.

PS2 I think X, X-II, and XII are fine choices. I like XII better, but X is pretty enjoyable as well.

Of course FF Tactics is the best and should be played. It's not a JRPG representative, but it's one of the best tactical RPGs ever. I think this one is the prettier of the PS1 era as well.

Nieve

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭244,640
I think 9 and 10 are great to start, the first one I played was Final fantasy 6 and that one is still my favorite but, as someone said, the graphics didn't age that well :teehee:(it aged better than final fantasy 7 tho, I could never play that one)

joo

ϟThe Chosen Oneϟ
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,975
@yerimmie FINAL FANTASY XII
FINAL FANTASY X
these are the two I played and made me fell in love with final fantasy :hearteu:

I still wanna try final fantasy 7 when the remake drops next year

Top Bottom