Industry Insiders Speculate On Yang Hyun Suk’s Possible Influence Even After Officially Leaving YG Entertainment

AegyoInTheStreets

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭18,675
b272c2635dcd447e9aecd42277ae80fd.jpeg

On June 14, Yang Hyun Suk announced his decision to step down from his position at YG Entertainment. YG’s CEO and Yang Hyun Suk’s brother, Yang Min Suk, also announced that he is resigning.

Yang Hyun Suk is not the CEO of YG Entertainment, but is the founder of the agency and his official position was “representative producer.” He played a major role in the casting and training of trainees as well as the music and video production processes of YG’s artists.

Although YG Entertainment has hired many experts to specialize in certain fields, like any major entertainment agency, Yang Hyun Suk continued to exercise final confirmation privileges over the company’s internal decisions as well as content production.

This is why any controversy that affects YG Entertainment or any of its artists inevitably comes to reflect on Yang Hyun Suk. Even with his resignation, he may continue to exercise influence over the content production of YG artists.

(However, although YG Entertainment also houses many top actors, Yang Hyun Suk did not participate much in the actor management part of his agency.)

An industry insider reported, “It’s possible that he might still have influence over YG’s current artists. With the resignation of his brother, the CEO, they are trying to focus on modifying their internal organization, but the aftermath is likely to be messy for a long time.”

Other industry insiders expressed skepticism over whether Yang Hyun Suk would be able to completely separate himself from YG’s business, especially because Yang Hyun Suk remains a major shareholder in the company.

According to YG’s quarterly report in May, Yang Hyun Suk owns 16.12 percent of common stocks (also known as ordinary shares) in the company, but his name is not listed in the official list of board members.

An industry insider, who is the CEO of another entertainment agency, stated, “Just like how Cho Hyun Min [former executive director and heiress of Korean Air] recently returned to business after being accused of throwing a glass at an employee, big companies just follow the typical ‘manual’ response in these situations. For a job like ‘representative producer,’ it doesn’t matter what the official position name is. You can have lots of influence over content production. It’s even easier in this case because Yang Hyun Suk is still a major shareholder.”

One director of a music promotion company stated, “If you look at the comments on some job websites, the reputation of YG is something like, ‘Why do they need hundreds of employees when one person does everything anyway?’ The current executives are all on Yang Hyun Suk’s side, so he can continue to have influence both directly and indirectly.”

Yang Hyun Suk’s brother also owns 3.31 percent of ordinary shares in the company.

zai

HIP HOP RAPPER Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭114,790
Tbh YG really need to step down, its not like they didnt have any people who have better skill to handle creative producer for their artist. Whats the point he make some of their artist didnt have much comeback or being hiatus. He really need to step down and let the young on his company take control. If he still manage to give final answer when is their artist comeback or not whats the point he step down?

Last edited:

AKID❀KI

Death's Mistress
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,921,164
Ehhh. I knew it. Leaving the company means nothing if you own shares and still can influence the company. Chances are the others executives are just as trashy as the yang brothers. I hope that they pay for what they did. I know the chances are great but I still hope they will.

sickwithsin

"Do aliens have idols too?" - Oh Heejun Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭112,613
If he's still a majority shareholder, he can still influence decisions. Nothing has changed. "Stepping down" is pure PR.

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
If he's still a majority shareholder, he can still influence decisions. Nothing has changed. "Stepping down" is pure PR.
exactly. i can't believe those yg stans who think their faves will have a better life with YG "stepping down". I hope all their investors pull out and bankrupt this scum

Whisky23

"Kind but not soft" Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,200
Pronouns
Stud/Studmuffin
Well, the new CEO has been in YG for many years, so I'm not sure what she can bring to the table that now that she couldn't and didn't all those years as a senior YG employee. I give it 6 months to a year...unless both brothers are convicted and behind bars, they'll be back in YGE.

sickwithsin

"Do aliens have idols too?" - Oh Heejun Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭112,613
exactly. i can't believe those yg stans who think their faves will have a better life with YG "stepping down". I hope all their investors pull out and bankrupt this scum

And now the YG stans are applauding the female CFO's promotion to CEO, like A: she hasn't been neck deep in this mess for almost two decades and B; YG suddenly isn't a sexist scumbag. CFOs control the money, which means they know everything that goes on. This is an inside promotion, which means the company is still rotten to the core.

Everything YG has done since Hanbin's scandal broke has been for PR: kicking out Hanbin, "stepping down", and appointing the new CEO. All of it has been done to raise the image of the company. There's no sincerity, remorse, or lessons learned.

Simpl

Lurker Early Supporters
Reaction score
Why is the Location a "Required" option ?
Plus Coins
⨭250
One director of a music promotion company stated, “If you look at the comments on some job websites, the reputation of YG is something like, ‘Why do they need hundreds of employees when one person does everything anyway?’ The current executives are all on Yang Hyun Suk’s side, so he can continue to have influence both directly and indirectly.”

Where is the proof and why would they stiil be on YHS side?
YGE is a business not politics.
YHS and his brother cost the company and it's shareholders millions of money.

Top Bottom