[Interview] Wada Ayaka (ex-ANGERME) discusses her views on female empowerment, the idol industry, and her goals for the future.

davidguy

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭121,910
201910-ayakawada-main-pc.jpg

Ayaka Wada is a woman, and also an idol. She's here to challenge the preconceptions of what a female idol should be like.

When you say you "put on" something, it's not necessarily about the clothes you wear. You can for example put on airs, or a facade. It's a verb that carries several meanings.

In June 2019, Ayaka Wada graduated from her group ANGERME, as well as Hello! Project, which she had been a part of for fifteen years. During this time, she never limited herself to an "idolness." She'd get really excited discussing Buddhist sculpture or art, which she studied at university. On her blog, and during concerts, she would talk with passion about what it means to be a woman.

All these things make up the person known as Ayaka Wada. It's not a character she puts someone else — rather, she appears comfortable in being herself.

After graduating, she opened a website for her solo activities that included this message:

"Whether I'm a woman or not
Whether I'm an idol or not
I'm the only one who decides my future

It would be nice to achieve my goals without needing to say it
But I think it'll be hard to reach them if I don't

Therefore, I will say it
I'm the only one who decides my future
I am a woman, and also an idol
"

Surely, there are those who couldn't help applauding, or maybe your heart skipped a beat, when you read those words.

It's thanks to the members of her group who have helped her find herself, and through the support of the fans who have kept supporting her no matter how much she's changed, that Ayaka Wada's become comfortable with making decisions she believes in.

Today we're finding out more about what it means to be her.

Many of us are accustomed to a world where women or idols are expected to act a certain manner.
- You have chosen to remain an "idol" even after graduating from ANGERME. From group activities to going solo, there must have been a lot of changes to your surroundings, but do you mind if we ask about how you've changed yourself?

I have always existed as "myself," and to my fellow members I've always encouraged them to do what they like or believe in. However, at some point I came to the realization that among all of us, I'm the one who followed these instructions the least. As the oldest member, with the youngest girl being a whole ten years younger, I was afraid I'd force my ideals or influence them too much if I kept voicing my opinions. Some members might not necessarily share my views either, so out of respect I chose to hold back whenever we were together.

Although there were a few things we would all question, as girls, and as idols, we would rarely discuss the core of these issues. With that in mind, you could say the times when I could truly be myself within the group were limited at best. Being said, I truly enjoyed all the time spent together, so this was never something that actually bothered me.

201910-ayakawada01.jpg

- Strong remarks can have a lot of influence over young people who are still finding things out for themselves.

Yeah. As young girls will often mimic what older girls do, it wouldn't be right for me to tell them how to act or how to think. It was actually when I heard one of them repeating something I had said, that I realized I should hold back a little.

Many of us are accustomed to a world where women or idols are expected to act a certain manner. Even of you question some of these notions, it's hard difficult to say that they're wrong. As leader, I had plenty of opportunities to express how I feel, but the group was bigger than just me. It wouldn't be right for me use my position to push my personal opinions. Even though there were a lot of things I wanted to say in regard to idols, I was worried that if I did so as ANGERME, it could affect someone else negatively in the process.

201910-ayakawada02.jpg

- You had to balance being Ayaka Wada, the individual, and Ayaka Wada, the leader of a group.

Yeah. Still, I'm confident there are other women or idols who'll come to question these things or attempt to go against the stream. Knowing there are things that need to be addressed, while trying not to hurt anyone, I did my best to express myself the way I could. Though now that I've gone solo, and I am able to be myself fully at all times, I've come to realize that more than ever, I am now responsible for whatever weight my words may carry.

Why do I have to remain "natural"?
- Could you give us an example of the things you questioned when it comes to idols?

For one, it's the idea that idols are expected to remain "pure" or "innocent." Although I've never been specifically told to "stay pure," there was this time when I wore a darker lipstick and was warned that it looked "unnatural." Both the color, and the intensity of it were "unnatural." Personally, I couldn't understand these standards set for what was natural and what wasn't, nor could I understand why I had to be "natural."

There were also restrictions on the type of make-up we could wear. I think the reason being we needed to keep up appearances because we were idols; because we are women. Nowadays, the amount of limitations put on women in regard to what they can do, or wear are on the decrease, and nothing you pay much attention to. However, just up until recently it was expected of women to keep up an air of gentleness, to never raise their voice, and to remain pure. Some of the ideals from that time appear to have remained in the idol world.

201910-ayakawada04.jpg

- Not just in the idol world, even in the workplace or in our schools, it seems ideas on how girls should be are still permeating society at large. After being told to act a certain way for so long, some women might come to agree with it themselves.

I'm sure that in most cases, people aren't saying "Women should be this way" out of their own volition. It's just that society has implanted us with this fundamental idea on how men and women should be, and that's what they express. What we need to do is not point fingers at these preconceived notions, instead, we need to reconsider them, and this realization provides a good basis.

Whether I call myself a "feminist" or not, feminism reflects on the way I am, and I am not afraid of saying so.

- How has your life changed now that you have more time to be yourself?

I've become able to use words like "feminism" or "gender theory." When I was in the group, I didn't use either of these terms, instead I gave my thoughts on "What it means to be a girl." Sad to say, there are people those who show strong opposition towards words such as feminism or gender, and I believe I was very conscious of them.

After going solo, I've gotten more opportunity to share my thoughts on womanhood, and at one point I asked myself "Am I a feminist?" However, I was unable to say "Yes."

To explain further, I have many views that are to be considered feminist, and I think a lot about what it means to be a woman. Knowing the meaning behind words like feminism or gender, I also believe I could keep up a conversation on the topics. But I'm still not sure whether I'm a feminist or not.

201910-ayakawada06.jpg

- It seems to be something you're still figuring out.

Even so, whether I call myself a "feminist" or not, their way of thinking are in line with my own, and nowadays I am not afraid of utilizing the term feminism.

I'm sure that at one point, I'll eventually come to terms with how use the word "feminist," but for now I'm still hesitant. I've had people tell me "Your thinking is in line with theirs" but also people who've said things like "You shouldn't become a feminist, just remain your cute self." I am aware that people may think one way or another, but even so, I have no intention of changing. Rather, I want to learn more, and understand more about myself.

201910-ayakawada07.jpg

Girls Generation, Miwa Yanagi, Artemisia Gentileschi, Kim Ji-young, Born 1982, La tresse, The Vegetarian. The works and people who taught me about feminism.

- How did you learn about feminism and gender theory?

Mostly through reading. Though as actual study material is a bit too advanced for me, it's mostly been through foreign novels, such as Kim Ji-young, Born 1982 or La tresse. I'm also halfway through The Vegetarian. Also, majoring in art history, I found the topic of female representation particularly interesting, so I've studied a lot through feminist art.

- Was there any art piece in particular which inspired you?

When I first viewed Miwa Yanagi's Fairy Tale photo series, I was told by my teacher that feminism and gender theory were perspectives I had to consider in order to understand the art. Up until then, there were simply terms I had heard, but never understood.

After learning of them, the works of Artemisia Gentileschi are what's inspired me the most. She was a female painter from the 1600s, and her art really stand out compared to her male counterparts. They are realistic depictions of a woman's mind.

201910-ayakawada08.jpg

- Any example on what makes them so real?

There's a painting of two woman, who in what looks like a religious motif, cuts the throat of a man. The women, with no fear hold him down, as they cut his throat. I believe it's supposed to reflect the beauty of women, in contrast to the gruesomeness of death. That said, if these women were to cut a man's throat for real it'd require physical strength. It's also kinda disgusting, and scary too. There's an expression of desperation in the women Artemisia painted. It's through her works I came to see how differently we perceive men and women.

In the time when she lived, nearly all painters were men. In the art world, reference nudes have always been a very big thing, but I was surprised to learn that back then, women weren't allowed to enter studios where reference sketches of nudes were being drawn, and very few art schools allowed them to even enroll. Female painters had very little status.

Artemisia_Gentileschi_-_Judith_Beheading_Holofernes_-_WGA8563.jpg

201910-ayakawada09.jpg

- This kind of gender discrimination still exists today

I am a big fan of 19th century modern art. If you ask why, it's because the 19th century is also when we started to see the problematics behind how our gender roles are constructed, and also because it's beginning of what become our contemporary society. I'm learning about today's situation through examining it and comparing it to the situation then.

201910-ayakawada10.jpg

- Have foreign artists performances had any influences on you?

I originally joined Hello! Project because I was a fan, and I think many of my seniors within the company are women who are able to stand on their own feet without giving conforming to some female ideal. However, Girls Generation left a very big impact on me. Their hair styles were cool, as were their outfits. Not to mention their performances — I wished I could dance like they did. Using their entire bodies, it's not like they danced sexily for anyone in particular — it was just their expression. That's how they looked to me, and they made me think that it's fine for girls to be like that too.

Being able to make your own decisions is a great thing.
- There was this time in ANGERME when Momonal Kasahara changed her lip colour to light pink after a few fans told her red was too mature for her, which led you proclaim "I want Momona to wear whatever lipstick she wants to" on stage, in front of the entire crowd.

I used to be told that I had to wear natural lipstick because I was an idol, but I didn't want any of the younger members to be held back by the same standards. I believe being able to make your own decisions is a great thing. Whether it "suits you" or for you to decide, not anyone else. I spoke out because I think it's wrong that she felt she had to change because someone else told her to.

201910-ayakawada11.jpg

- You know the joy of being an idol, but there are many things about it you question. You had the option to give up the idol label after graduating, but you chose to keep it in order to modernize it. May you explain why?

Regardless of my doubts regarding the whole thing, I felt that if I give up on being an idol, the idol world is going to remain the way it is. Therefore, I'd like to use all my experiences to help change it. I've been an idol for fifteen years, so I'd like to think I have at least something to back up my choices with.

I'm sure in the future, there'll be teenage girls working as idols who'll question the same things I did, but with no other choice than to give up their idol dreams due to a lack of other options. For a teenager, simply having doubts about all this is already a lot. I hope through my choice in continuing as an idol, I can open up new possibilities for these kinds of girls, and ideally, I want this to become a world where girls don't have to feel like they're being held back.

201910-ayakawada12.jpg

It's important to think for yourself. I hope there are more opportunities for idols to think for themselves.
- You want a world where girls don't have feel they're being held back, and you act upon it. It is true that female idols can have a big impact on women in general.

Yes, and I also think that idols too should think more themselves in regard to how they want to be seen, or how they want to present themselves. I want them to have more opportunities to think for themselves, to convey their opinions, and I want the people around them to help them create the thing they want to create. It's when they're able to do that, that I think their expression is going to shine the brightest.

ANGERME is a group with very individualistic members, and most fans are very supportive of the members' personal choices. It's a really nice atmosphere. During handshake events there are a lot of fans from Korea who'd come, and many of them would tell me "Ayacho, I like the way you lead your life." Although I'd say I'm the type to grow stronger by adversity, there are of course days when I feel down too. But being hearing things like that, knowing my goals transcend even national borders, means a lot.

201910-ayakawada13.jpg

I've stopped thinking about how people might look or think about me, I wear what I want to wear.
- We heard that your styling today is all your personal belongings. What type of clothes do you usually like?

I like vintage clothing. I have a couple of stores I like in Daikanyama and Shibuya. If I spot something I like, I tend to buy them without hesitation. I do like contemporary clothing too, but they often reflect a certain generation of today, and at some point, you find yourself growing out of certain styles. Therefore, I prefer clothes that aren't stylistically limited to any specific age group. It's also a lot of fun just rummage through all the items, eventually finding something that suits you.

201910-ayakawada14.jpg

- Today you're wearing a very casual outfit. What kind of outfits do you usually wear?

Hmm, it usually depends on how I feel at the moment. When I started to think about what it means to be a woman, I stopped wearing skirts completely, and only wore pants. I didn't want anyone to look down on me for being "a girl," so I thought I had to appear strong. I'd wear pants every day, and a lot of strong colours like red or green.

However, I had always liked miniskirts and tight skirts prior to this, so eventually I came to the conclusion that I'll wear whatever I want to wear, regardless of what anyone might think about me. After graduating, and upon talking with a lot of people about it, I've become a lot less stoic about what I wear too. This summer I wore nothing but t-shirts. Honestly, every time I tried to dress up there was something in saying "This isn't me!" or "Not today!" So I'd immediately take off whatever I was going to wear and switch to a t-shirt.

201910-ayakawada15.jpg

- It might come off like you don't care what you're wearing, but what you're saying your current mood has a lot of influence on what you wear. If you can't be comfortable in what you wear, it's hard to be comfortable with who you are. Surely these are words you get to hear a lot, but who do you feel in regard to "cuteness" or "beauty"?

As I try to not judge people by their looks, I also try to not react to when people call me cute... haha. There are people who might say that I should be more honest with myself, but I want to see people for who they are on the inside, myself included.

I use the expression love towards everyone, be they man or woman. Not in a romantic way, but I believe the act of thinking of someone else is an expression of love.
- You remain an idol, carrying the feelings of your fans, staff members and your fellow members within you. In your graduation speech you talked about the love you have received from the fans, but one could also feel the love coming from you.

I use the expression love towards everyone, be they man or woman. Not in a romantic way, but I believe the act of thinking of someone else is an expression of love. The members of ANGERME still mean a lot to me, and I still think about them a lot. This is my love towards them. Even the fans, I often wonder if they're doing alright, that too, is something I'd consider love. I think of love as feeling inside of me that is constantly present.

201910-ayakawada17.jpg

My current dream is to take on reality and create something out of the feelings and thoughts it provides me.
- You're scheduled to perform at the NEWTOWN cultural festival in Tama Newtown in October. It'll be the first time in a while that you appear in front of your fans, but what type of show would you like it to be?

It's my first chance to sing after graduating from ANGERME. I'm also planning to do a poetry reading session together with Sen Morimoto. I've always liked writing poetry, but I'm a bit nervous about how people will feel about my works.

As for as my song... It's a track born from the question "Is it okay for me to voice my opinions?" and where reaffirm to myself that I have to. The actual lyrics are a bit more straightforward than my explanation. It's the first song I ever wrote lyrics for, so don't expect too much, haha.

- This will be a chance to encounter people who have never heard of you before

When I first graduated, I was a bit nervous about meeting new people, but I'm really enjoying it now. I feel there will be a lot of like-minded people attending NEWTOWN, so I'm getting more and more excited about it.

201910-ayakawada19.jpg

- What do you think Ayaka Wada will be like from now on?

I'll start by facing the reality of what's in front of me. Rather than stuff like "performing at a big stage," my current dream is to take on reality, and create something out of the feelings and thoughts it provides me.

201910-ayakawada20.jpg

The things I have to face as a woman have changed compared to before as well. I'd say they've increased. The other day, I attended my friend's wedding ceremony, and it made me think about whether I'll get married or have kids one day too. I believe that being open to all possibilities in turn opens a lot of possibilities for you, and I am looking forward to what's in store for me.

For some people, putting on a facade might be what works for them. Right now, I am content with living the way I want to.

201910-ayakawada21.jpg

----------
Interview source: https://sheishere.jp/interview/201910-ayakawada/
Translation source:

tickleme

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,290
i can't believe out of all the HP girls she is the one to be the most level headed, so mature. she even posted about the comfort women controversy and received backlash but didnt redact her remarks.

Top Bottom