bibbidi

your heart's not broken, it's only growing Graphics
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭35,750
Pronouns
She/Her
tenor.gif

Stop, stop. Not in a literal sense. We don't have much control over how we look and even when we change it, there is a limit. I'm not talking in terms of the individual as much as the group. I'm more so asking if it validates a lot of visuals not offering much else to a group. I get to clickbait too.
Most fans would agree that in a K-pop group (as well as any group, really) the main vocal role is pretty much the most important to fill. With dancing coming after, as it is easier to take a vocal to dance than a dancer to sing.
However, there has always been a mild disagreement over the value of a visual. Unfortunately, it is a trend for visuals to often be the least talented in a group, due to the fact that some are put there with minimal training. A few years back, on OH, someone even pointed out that some idols will train for 10 years just to debut as "the visual."
All that being said, it can't be denied that visuals do play an important role in a group. Visuals such as Yeonwoo could sing less than 2 lines in a song and still be the most memorable part of a song due to the musical video. I used to feel strongly that it was a useless role, but recently I've come to think that any "talent" that satisfies fans is valid.

All in all... is being a visual a talent?​

hatmixx

Ain't Nobody Fifth Place HoE VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭31,000
Pronouns
No Sana No Life
I would say that certain aspects of being a visual are somewhat of a talent. Facial expressions, good posture, general attention to diet and exercise so you don't look like a slob. They probably work on most of these things. A visual however, is no talent. and most "non visual" kpop idols are doing the exact same things to maintain their looks/fitness.So, the only value in a "visual" is to bring eyes to the group. which is kinda what kpop is so. yeah whatever :iwillfightyou:

OutroTearTheFirst

Oh, I'm sorry, but nobody does evil the way I do! Fourth Place HoE
Reaction score
On a picnic with gasppepe eating nugget peepo
Plus Coins
⨭30,300
Pronouns
She/Her
Like you said it’s not a real talent, but they are important, especially for kind of nugu groups. I have a visual in mind rn that isn’t really good at singing or dancing, but them being attractive has brought much more attention to the group, even if some only support group activities for the visual. Being pretty can open up a lot of doors even if the talent is subpar. :poggers:

bibbidi

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭35,750
Pronouns
She/Her
Like you said it’s not a real talent, but they are important, especially for kind of nugu groups. I have a visual in mind rn that isn’t really good at singing or dancing, but them being attractive has brought much more attention to the group, even if some only support group activities for the visual. Being pretty can open up a lot of doors even if the talent is subpar. :poggers:
This is true. One that I have in mind is probably one of the most useful in their group just based on looks. They go viral every now and then :omgwhat: (yes.... him)

soozie

✴︎ Events Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭88,533
oooh interesting question! :poggers:

I wouldn’t say visual is a talent, but it is definitely a good asset that helps attract new fans and even promo deals like CFs and modelling contracts, which in turn can help sustain the idols‘ career for a long time. like sehun

Bchip

ᴀ ʜ ɢ ᴀ s ᴇ Events VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,742,250
Pronouns
He/Him
Not a talent, but a gift. Just like charisma. It's something that you have or you don't. However, i do believe they work to "polish" this before their debut.

bibbidi

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭35,750
Pronouns
She/Her
Not a talent, but a gift. Just like charisma. It's something that you have or you don't. However, i do believe they work to "polish" this before their debut.
I get you. I can definitely see it :poggers:
as a visual stan, i think it's a talent and it's the most important member in the group...
members that are just pretty hit different
694902740178042940.gif
Ayyy we love visuals!

Last edited:

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
lmao no I don't think it should even be a position or referenced that way its really hilarious to me. Almost every visual can barely sing to me that defeats the purpose of a music group :TzuyuKek:

bibbidi

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭35,750
Pronouns
She/Her
You mean pretty privilege
:poggers: why you expose me like this, Grape?

lmao no I don't think it should even be a position or referenced that way its really hilarious to me. Almost every visual can barely sing to me that defeats the purpose of a music group :TzuyuKek:
See, this is the opposing opinion I understand :poggers: in the scheme of the group, not necessarily an individual. Also, this is a pretty good point. It does kind of betray the fundamental purpose of a music group.

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
:poggers: why you expose me like this, Grape?

See, this is the opposing opinion I understand :poggers: in the scheme of the group, not necessarily an individual. Also, this is a pretty good point. It does kind of betray the fundamental purpose of a music group.

:HappyPar: I guess the thing is outside of the kpop world( and in it) visuals really mean nothing to me, I listen to the music and if they just so happen to be attractive then that's nice but really not important.

Another thing is "visuals" are really trying to be actresses, they end up being in the company pipeline to be actresses virtually without exception. That scenario almost always ends up ending the group or putting them in long hiatuses. I'm a kpop fan mostly for the music and everything else comes after, so it is one of the things I find kind of meaningless when I'm stanning a group. Oh so and so is a visual etc. Yeah but can they sing? If they cant I will have almost zero interest and will expect them to leave or make the group wait for them, furthering my distaste of the idea of a visual actually being someone's job in the first place lmaao

bibbidi

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭35,750
Pronouns
She/Her
:HappyPar: I guess the thing is outside of the kpop world( and in it) visuals really mean nothing to me, I listen to the music and if they just so happen to be attractive then that's nice but really not important.

Another thing is "visuals" are really trying to be actresses, they end up being in the company pipeline to be actresses virtually without exception. That scenario almost always ends up ending the group or putting them in long hiatuses. I'm a kpop fan mostly for the music and everything else comes after, so it is one of the things I find kind of meaningless when I'm stanning a group. Oh so and so is a visual etc. Yeah but can they sing? If they cant I will have almost zero interest and will expect them to leave or make the group wait for them, furthering my distaste of the idea of a visual actually being someone's job in the first place lmaao
To add on to this point, not many of the visuals actually achieve any real success as actors and actresses. Aside from a select few, most end up fading and still hanging on to the image of a group :omgwhat: I didn't actually consider this.

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭161,050
A talent ? Not really, but it will count and it's as most as important as a skilled member. People think about K-pop as only being songs and MV but it is also trying to appeal the public, fans and people working in commercials, in the drama/movie industry, in TV shows and more.

If the group already have one or two members who can sing and one or two who can dance, it's enough. You can add the pretty member and let it do the minimum required.

And the visual, depending on your country's standard, you can't really train it. If you are lucky with your genetics and if you are decicated enough to be fit, most of the work is already done. Add some surgery and/or heavy make ups to "enhance" your look.

To be honest, if members weren't that pretty (or showed as) I think K-pop wouldn't had that much attention.

TLDR : not a talent or a skill, but rather a feat (if you are a DnD player you'll know). There's is no progression, you have it or you don't.

Last edited:

bibbidi

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭35,750
Pronouns
She/Her
A talent ? Not really, but it will count and it's as most as important as a skilled member. People think about K-pop as only being songs and MV but it is also trying to appeal the public, fans and people working in commercials, in the drama/movie industry, in TV shows and more.

If the group already have one or two members who can sing and one or two who can dance, it's enough. You can add the pretty member and let it do the minimum required.

And the visual, depending on your country's standard, you can't really train it. If you are lucky with your genetics and if you are decicated enough to be fit, most of the work is already done. Add some surgery and/or heavy make ups to "enhance" your look.

To be honest, if members weren't that pretty (or showed as) I think K-pop wouldn't had that much attention.

TLDR : not a talent or a skill, but rather a feat (if you are a DnD player you'll know). There's is no progression, you have it or you don't.
I actually can see this point! At the end of the day, a lot of groups catch an individual's eye with their visual before their music. The reason I call it a talent here is to compare it to singing and dancing in the sense of value for the group. A lot of times we get the statement of "they aren't talented but they are a visual," almost as if the visual has come to replace talent. I'm not saying that being pretty is something to train or anything, just the value of it in the scheme of a group.

Actually, the more I think about this... this is what fundamentally separates idols from most recording artists. The need to look a certain way. Most other artists are at least decent looking, but don't meet such an extreme standard and are able to lead with their music. If you take off the cap of visuals, the line does become incredibly blurry.

Last edited:

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
To add on to this point, not many of the visuals actually achieve any real success as actors and actresses. Aside from a select few, most end up fading and still hanging on to the image of a group :omgwhat: I didn't actually consider this.
Yeah that's true and unfortunately as I have experienced with WJSN(I'm going to use them to explain some things here so I hope you're ready for a WUJU rant lmao) even them being successful in dramas doesn't really equate to group success.

Here's my analysis of visuals in WJSN:

Bona for example has been in successful dramas and even gotten awards for her acting, she is a talented idol, she can sing and dance. However, her dramas have had a negligible effect on the group success as a whole, in fact they seem to be charting worse over time even tho she and other visuals have gotten more popular. To me that isn't really worth it if we have to wait 6- 9 months for her to come back and then they do worse. Sure some examples like Aprils Nauen(lmao) have been able to use that but by and large it doesn't work the way you think it would.

Bonas successful drama ended in January, WJSN came back at the end of march with Unnatural which was their worst charting title track since their debut song Momomo(#200 on melon). They then had a subunit with Visual/sexy members which charted at the same place as quirky Chocome(that ujungs basically boycotted) the subunits charted much worse than a standard group comeback(Melon#100-150, 50-65k uls) even tho they have multiple visual actresses in the Black, they did the same as the relatively unknown members of Chocome(#300, 26k uls). As you can see there is no effect on gp charting from Bonas dramas which was frankly really disappointing to me. Seola and Bona are constantly mentioned as visuals and such and yet their subunit performed the same with the gp as Chocome which has some of the least popular members.

You would be correct in assuming that not having Yeonjung in either subunit is why their uls and charting are so much lower(half) than one of their least popular title tracks. However, once again anyone who knows their WUJU charting could tell you Yeonjung is why they charted during Secret and I Wish(#47 on melon) and really her ost "Marry Me/You" charted better than all but 3 WJSN comebacks. Everyone should know and assume that since she was main vocal of ioi and v1 champion ost queen etc. When she joined she had more fans than the whole group so its no surprise in that aspect.(she has more than double the melon followers than any other WJSN member and second most instagram followers)

Cheng Xiao was a visual/dancer/center when she blew up after isac gymnastics it seemed a perfect match and her and Yeonjung made a team we could all get behind, of course since SMSY chinity arent really a part of the discussion anymore so it has become a spot filled by Bona and Seola for the most part. Cheng Xiao had incredible viralness that wasn't just due to her visual but at least half due to her talent in dancing.

What we don't know is why, after pushing Bona and Seola for years as visuals and actresses, has their nonmusic popularity ever transfered to kpop charting? Something I wonder a lot since it would be nice for it not to always be about if Yeonjung is there to have the gp listen to them. I honestly wonder if they had pushed Yeonjung and Dawon as a Taengsic thing if they would have gotten better results over the years. Sure I'm glad Bona and Seola are pushed somewhat but I don't think it truly has much effect. And compared to the natural popularity Cheng Xiao and Yeonjung had there isn't nearly as much buzz behind WJSN like there was in the past even tho they have become pretty successful overall.

Last edited:

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭161,050

Interesting point. In Korea I think being pretty isn't enough, you probably gotta be skillful in acting, maybe your personnality can play a lot and sometimes luck. The acting industry is also saturated so if idols are also trying to compete...only very few will succeed

I witnessed both case : when people discovered an actress or an actor was/is in an idol group and when people discovered an idol had some movies or dramas acting.

hatmixx

Ain't Nobody Fifth Place HoE VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭31,000
Pronouns
No Sana No Life

Except in my eyes when I consider my bias (who is likely main/lead vocal) to be the visual :christmasblob:

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
Except in my eyes when I consider my bias (who is likely main/lead vocal) to be the visual :christmasblob:

lmao yes that's 100% true. When I got into kpop I kept wondering why they kept referring to people as visuals and freaking out about certain members when they looked the same as other members, made me laugh a lot lol. I guess if your career choice is to use kpop fame to be a model as your career than that's ok, frankly I don't care about that and the kbeauty standard I find pretty silly. My main vocals are just as pretty and do the heavy work in studio which I respect far far more than cfing acting and being thumbnails on a mv :TzuyuKek:

Chiharu

The Worst Girl in the World Events VIP+ Tenth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,048,132
I can appreciate it, but I wouldn't consider it a talent...more like being blessed with good genes or lucky enough to have the resources for good PS.

Top Bottom