Is being a visual a talent?

Ash3070

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭839,143
I wouldn't call it a talent. A talent is defined as
natural aptitude or skill.
I just don't think it is something you can call natural. Like other idols, a visual has to maintain their bodies, keep their skin clear, maintain their hair and make up and dress well. Not to mention, there's probably more pressure on them to go down the route of surgical procedures. Not saying that other idols don't have that pressure, but if the main visual isn't of a high standard, it reflects poorly on ALL the members that this is the person the company picked. Also as there can be a lot of overlap between the visual and the fact of the group, along with the leader, the visual often ends up one of the main spokesmen/spokeswomen for the group in interviews so they need to be well spoken and prepared.

frostpuddle

Global Star Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭77,963
Visual is a combination of talent + skill. Good genetics plus the skill and effort to maintain the looks.
Not a very important factor to me in kpop, but it's a bonus, cause who doesn't like to look at pretty things?

ARandomFan

(っ◔◡◔)っ<3 Content+ Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭772,545
Pronouns
idk
Being pretty is nice and all (and I do tend to noticed the "pretty" ones when I first get into a group) but I think that it's a role created just to sell a group. Like the shiny packaging that catches your eye when you're walking around in a store. Was it something you're looking for? Probably not... but you still decided to look at it cause... it's an interesting, pretty packaging. After I get to know a group more I'll be able to see everyone and I think that if someone has talent they'll be more "attractive" to me.
But the thing then becomes I guess is, how far is a company will to go for "pretty packaging"? We know that surgery is a common part of kpop, but do the idols want it or are they being told they have to?
But at the end of the day music is the most important out of everything. I'm not here to look at pretty people (as much as I would love to do that without feeling like a creep), If I like the music and someone happens to be "pretty" as well... Great! I just hope that companies don't push the "visual" onto someone that doesn't want to be that...

anyways that's my two cents no one asked for~
tenor.gif

RainbowBlink

❈ JIHYODOONGI ❈
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭44,750
I would say that certain aspects of being a visual are somewhat of a talent. Facial expressions, good posture, general attention to diet and exercise so you don't look like a slob. They probably work on most of these things. A visual however, is no talent. and most "non visual" kpop idols are doing the exact same things to maintain their looks/fitness.So, the only value in a "visual" is to bring eyes to the group. which is kinda what kpop is so. yeah whatever :iwillfightyou:
I think that if stage presence or personality in front of a camera could count as "visuals" then I think that would be a talent...

hatmixx

Ain't Nobody Fifth Place HoE VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭31,000
Pronouns
No Sana No Life
I think that if stage presence or personality in front of a camera could count as "visuals" then I think that would be a talent...

i don't disagree with that. I just think most idols are pretty good at that kinda thing. Where as the "visual" member in the group is typically just someone naturally pretty. It's not that they can't have talent, but being pretty or more pretty than other pretty people is just hitting the genetic lottery. So, i wouldn't even call it a talent. It however can be talent adjacent lol

RainbowBlink

❈ JIHYODOONGI ❈
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭44,750
i don't disagree with that. I just think most idols are pretty good at that kinda thing. Where as the "visual" member in the group is typically just someone naturally pretty. It's not that they can't have talent, but being pretty or more pretty than other pretty people is just hitting the genetic lottery. So, i wouldn't even call it a talent. It however can be talent adjacent lol
Oh yeah, in that sense I agree. I'm just saying more in like a sense that if stage presence would be a subcategory into visuals then I guess it could be considered a talent.
But I do think that the official visual in a group is someone that has visuals that is most pleasing to the Korean public and in most groups, follows the Korean Beauty Standards.

But I know that people sometimes include personality in front of a camera (which idols are trained to do) and stage presence with beauty.

Top Bottom