J-pop songs that make you cry

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
Sometimes you just want to make the tears fall. Post your favorites for when you feel that way.

They don't have to be inherently sad songs; maybe they have some context behind them that makes them sad to you. It's okay to cry here, you can have my shoulder.

I have spoilered my contexts for people who don't want to be that sad.

Morning Musume '14 - Toki o koe, sora o koe (Beyond time and space)

Morning Musume's longtime producer Tsunku announced shortly before the single was released that he had been diagnosed with and seeking treatment for laryngeal cancer. He wrote the song while thinking about what he wanted to express to his wife and children, should he pass away. Ultimately, he made the decision to remove his vocal cords entirely, permanently ending his career as a singer, so that he could help ensure he would be around for his family. While he did choose to make a great sacrifice in order to live, the song is still haunting as it reflects someone considering what things would be like if they could not longer see the ones they loved most.

Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku - Kanjou Densha (Emotion Train)

In early 2017, Ebichu was preparing to release their new album, Ebicracy, when longtime member Matsuno Rina passed away suddenly at the age of 18. She had recently been diagnosed with a heart condition and she had missed a concert the day before her death due to not feeling well. Her condition deteriorated quickly and passed away by the time she got to the hospital. Everyone involved with the group, fans, management, members, were devastated by this sudden, tragic loss. Her parents, knowing that Ebichu was the most important thing to her in the world, allowed for a public memorial that fans could attend to say their last goodbyes.

The last social media update Rina had made two days before her death was that she had returned home from a family trip to the hot springs town of Hakone, a popular destination a short train ride away from Tokyo. Ebichu made the decision to continue with the album release as scheduled, with tribute songs included. For the promotional song Kanjou Densha, the members all took a trip to Hakone together to see the sights that Rina last enjoyed before she passed away. The sights of the members enjoying themselves showed to everyone that although Rina would never be forgotten, the members would carry on with the group as she would have wanted.

Additionally, at a concert held after her passing, staff decided to surprise the members and fans with the vocal track that Rina had recorded for Kanjou Densha. While it was devastating to realize the untapped potential she had left to give, it served to remind everyone that she lived her life doing what she loved and always wanted to make others happy.

Equally devastating is the now foreboding Rina solo Dekiru ka na? (I wonder if I can?), wherein she contemplates if she will be able to do all the things she wants to do in her life, like starting a family. While the song was originally intended to reference her status as the least skilled member of the group and her desire to improve, it is ultimately the saddest song in existence.

Kagrra, - Utakata (Ephemeral)

Kagrra, was a visual kei rock band active during the 00's. Although they had a dedicated fanbase and were signed to what was then a highly successful agency (PS Company, which at the time also housed the GazettE, Miyavi, and Alice Nine), they never hit the levels of success and public recognition that their peers did. Their music and visuals were based in classic Japanese style and mythology, and vocalist Isshi's soft vocals still packed a punch. In 2010, the group announced that they would be disbanding at the end of their upcoming tour in March 2011, but a few months after their final performance, the agency announced that Isshi had been found unresponsive in his home and passed away. While the cause of death was initially not revealed due to the family's wishes, the head of the agency acknowledged some years lated that it had been a suicide. We the fans don't know the exact cause of the disbandment or what was going on with Isshi personally while the group was active, but his vocals keep his memory alive for all who loved to hear him sing. Utakata is one of the band's most beautiful songs, and with the context of what would later happen to Isshi, the lyrics of meeting a loved one who has passed away hold all the more meaning to make me cry.

Mitsui Aika - Watashi no miryouki ni kidzukanai donkan na hito (The thickheaded person who doesn't notice my charm)

Aika is arguably the least popular member of Morning Musume of all time due to circumstances entirely out of her control. She was the sole winner of a highly contentious televised audition that launched the careers of several other idols, and then management decided in a half-baked plan to break into the Chinese market to add two Chinese members alongside her, neither of which were moves appreciated by the fandom. She struggled immensely to find her place within the group as fans behaved antagonistically towards her, and resigned herself to a role in the back of the group throughout her tenure. This solo song was written specifically for her situation, addressing the antis who didn't appreciate what she brought to the group.

As the more senior members began to graduate and Aika started to take on more responsibility and was set to move to the front of the group, she broke her leg and was forced to sit out a number of performances and music videos, but still appeared with the group as much as she could. As she healed, doctors realized that she had incredibly fragile bones and continued dancing and stress on her legs would lead to further fractures and permanent damage. She decided, as a result, to graduate from the group, but only decided so after one of her more popular seniors announced her graduation. Management decided to tack Aika's final performance on to the scheduled graduation of the more senior member, which antis further held against her. This is her final performance of this song, being the first time fans had seen her on her feet in months and the last time she would dance. Her junior members backed her up in this performance and were all vocal about how instrumental Aika had been in training them and making sure they integrated into the group. Thinking of the wasted potential and poor treatment she received while singing about how charming she actually was is, well, really sad. Even though the song is super catchy, it still makes me cry to think of this performance.

Otsuka Ai - Planetarium

There is no context. It's just sad, despite its association with a legendary romcom drama.

Do you have any songs that make you sad, either because they're sad musically or have some sad stories attached to them? Go ahead, make me cry. I can take it.
:sejeongcry:

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
I don't understand the lyrics and I haven't been into JPOP for long so there are no songs that will always make me cry. So when I cry it's usually because of my current mood and the context (MV/performance and my mood when I listen to it) or the melody. I think the most recent song was Masaki Suda's Niji and its touching mv. Last time it was sad tears was listening to Ebichu after Ayaka's news.

Vampire

Astarion approves. Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭158,159
Ikimonogakari - Sakura

This song is about a girl that was in love with a boy during high school and they went their separate ways come graduation, but she is having trouble letting going of her feelings and moving on with life. The ending lyrics imply a more hopeful outlook on the future, but it moves me to tears all the same. Just the sound of the song is enough to get me, you know?

Miku Hatsune - Sayoko

One of my favorite Vocaloid songs, but the topic is of depression and suicide. Setting the lyrics aside, even Miku's much softer vocal range here and the guitar sounds so, so melancholy.

MedicationHelps87

Bi Racial Ruler Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,493,801
Pronouns
He/Him
Oath Sign (Acoustic Ver.) LiSA

Such a pretty song. It makes me shed tears so bad. And the vocals that carry it to higher places.
The tears are happening people!

Last edited:

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
I take what I said earlier back, I always cry at KARA's Ima Okuritai Arigatou since I watched this performance, their last with Jiyoung and Nicole.

KARA was one of my favourite groups and Hara was my favourite member. After her suicide it became even sadder but I still watch it when I miss her because sometimes you just need to let your emotions out.

Another is Bye Bye Happy Days

MedicationHelps87

Bi Racial Ruler Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,493,801
Pronouns
He/Him
I take what I said earlier back, I always cry at KARA's Ima Okuritai Arigatou since I watched this performance, their last with Jiyoung and Nicole.

KARA was one of my favourite groups and Hara was my favourite member. After her suicide it became even sadder but I still watch it when I miss her because sometimes you just need to let your emotions out.

Another is Bye Bye Happy Days

I have Goo Hara's only EP/Mini Album to this day
and even a poster of Kara with her on it.
Makes me sad as hell just seeing the photos in the album etc.
I just feel like crying everytime I look at it now.
Such a beautiful soul no longer among us fans and her fam at so young.

Last edited:
Top Bottom