Japan's Anime Market Hits Record High for 6th Consecutive Year

Vampire

Astarion approves. Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭156,409
The Association of Japanese Animations (AJA) will publish its "Anime Industry Report 2019," which examines industry trends from 2018, on December 9. According to a preview of the report published on Friday, the anime market was valued at 2.1814 trillion yen (about US$19.9 billion) in 2018, a 0.9% increase from the previous year.

screen-shot-2019-11-29-at-2.14.04-pm.png.jpg

The industry has seen growth for the past nine years, and it has reached a record high for the sixth consecutive year. The values in the chart represent the market value for each year in units of 100 million yen.

Both the Japanese domestic market and the overseas market saw slight growth in 2018. The Japanese domestic anime market grew for the first time since 2014. Meanwhile, the overseas anime market surpassed the 1-trillion-yen (about US$9.14-billion) mark for the first time, though growth in the overseas market slowed after a more steady rise in recent years. The chart below shows the domestic market with the solid line and the overseas market with the dotted line.

screen-shot-2019-11-29-at-2.14.30-pm.png.jpg

Fields that saw an increase in 2018 included live events, with 23.1% growth, and streaming, with 10.2% growth. On the other hand, the home video and merchandising rights markets decreased by 23.3% and 4.4%, respectively. Last year marks the fifth consecutive year that the home video market decreased.

The full report for 2017 noted last year that the total production minutes for television anime exceeded 110,000 minutes for the fifth consecutive year. At the same time, the total number of television anime broadcast decreased by 4.5%.

Sergel

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭59,885
It’s interesting to see the growth. I’ve had a lot easier t8me accessing anime through official means like Crunchyroll, Netflix and Funimation than from previous years. Actually Netflix got me back into anime.

Vampire

Astarion approves. Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭156,409
It’s interesting to see the growth. I’ve had a lot easier t8me accessing anime through official means like Crunchyroll, Netflix and Funimation than from previous years. Actually Netflix got me back into anime.
omg same! i was actually on a 2-3 year break from anime when i came across "violet evergarden" on netflix and now i'm back in it - i definitely think the accessibility was a factor.

Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭667,759
Great! If only they would stop overworking their animators though...

I'm curious ab how China's growing animation market will affect the animation industry, now that they look to be becoming competitors with Japanese produced animation, esp with Bilibili & Tencent becoming major investors in the Donghua industry, with products such as the Kings Avatar, MDZS, TGCF & totally awesome movies like Nezha & White Snake. Looking forward to both the 2020 Anime and Donghua upcoming Animation seasons. Tian Guan Ci Fu (Heaven Official's Blessing) and Scum Villain's Self-Saving System are coming in 2020, none of the early 2020 Anime season seems that appealing to me so far, but I guess I'll have to wait until the Anime reviewers on YT hmu with the good Winter 2020 content!

Sergel

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭59,885
omg same! i was actually on a 2-3 year break from anime when i came across "violet evergarden" on netflix and now i'm back in it - i definitely think the accessibility was a factor.
I still need to go watch that.

Top Bottom