Screen%2BShot%2B2019-09-14%2Bat%2B9.44.54%2BAM.png

Police

Screen%2BShot%2B2019-09-14%2Bat%2B9.45.04%2BAM.png

Lifeguard

Screen%2BShot%2B2019-09-14%2Bat%2B9.45.12%2BAM.png

Lacrosse player

-

Pann: AOA's job sexualization?

1. [+335, -17] AOA was originally a band concept. The company stripped them and switched to a sexy concept because they didn't become popular. As a result, they gained so many male fans. AOA's fandom was 50% male ㅋㅋ So they couldn't change the concept. Their Queendom stage was the concept that AOA wanted to do.

2. [+254, -17] Do you think the members wanted to do that? They wore the outfits given by the company and shot the MV. Also, there were many girl groups with a similar concept at that time.

3. [+188, -12] You didn't know that this was how they became popular? Their concept was fulfilling men's fantasies ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+126, -5] This was why their Queendom stage was more meaningful...

5. [+65, -3] Huh? AOA has always done this. It's nothing new. There's more like this but you didn't list all.

6. [+45, -10] The company made them wear it, I'm sure the members didn't want to... They had to obey.

7. [+41, -0] It's true that AOA has overdone this concept and it wasn't a good thing. But the problem was that at that time, people didn't find it problematic. People didn't criticize them and AOA actually became popular by it. That was the level of the public.

8. [+35, -7] I feel bad for the people who have those jobs.

9. [+33, -6] I looked up and there was more. In my opinion, this teacher concept is the worst...
Screen%2BShot%2B2019-09-14%2Bat%2B9.45.24%2BAM.png

10. [+31, -1] They did it because their company made them. Their Queendom performance was what AOA really wanted to do

Source

dannyy

The limit is inside your mind.
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭15,030
1. [+335, -17] AOA was originally a band concept. The company stripped them and switched to a sexy concept because they didn't become popular. As a result, they gained so many male fans. AOA's fandom was 50% male ㅋㅋ So they couldn't change the concept. Their Queendom stage was the concept that AOA wanted to do.

2. [+254, -17] Do you think the members wanted to do that? They wore the outfits given by the company and shot the MV. Also, there were many girl groups with a similar concept at that time.
10. [+31, -1] They did it because their company made them. Their Queendom performance was what AOA really wanted to do

Source

Finally, some of good commenters in this. AOA knew they were oversexualised. They did what it takes to get sales done. If only their company tried to put full promotion and explore the group more rather than buying people to like them for their body...

pinkpanda_spirit

Y's #1 fan Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭35,170
"When I debuted, I used to have tons of GIFs go viral that only zoomed in on a certain part of my body. Some were bad enough that I can’t discuss. I wouldn’t ever wish that on anyone – especially my hoobae (junior) groups but they’re facing it all the same. We all think it’s unfair and not right, but we also think there’s nothing that can be done about our treatment. That breaks my heart.

At first, I was amazed and excited because people began to notice me… But since that, the public has wanted to see only that side of me. Just that and nothing else. It troubled me for a while. I began to question why I had to wear cropped tops all the time. I wanted to try other things too, you know? The cropped top Seolhyun is me too, yes… but I have so much more to me than just that."

— Seolhyun

source

AoA aren't really into it either

denizen mars

Lesbian Potato Goddess
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,250
No shit (seriously, asking, 'is girl group x sexualized?' is such a basic question. The answer is always yes). Plus, so many girl groups have done the 'sexy Halloween costume concept' that I couldn't even list them all here. It sucks but it's what draws in male fans I guess.

I can't @ the one with Choa (?) wearing heels with the 'lacrosse' uniform. I didn't even notice that when I watched that mv

OT but actual flight attendants are hella sexualized in Korea tho, just look at their ads and the dress code/ looks requirements for those female personnel and compare them to those for US airlines. The uniforms are more conservative than AOA's costumes but that doesn't mean they're not also being hired to cater to and sell to a male fantasy. I mean...this is a few years old now but I've seen the more recent ads and they're not a ton better. Barf.

korean-air-advertisement-only-dignified-services-for-our-dignified-guests.jpg

Last edited:

Sergel

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭61,785
This was something I noticed especially during Short Hair. That said this comment explains it well

4. [+126, -5] This was why their Queendom stage was more meaningful...

It’ll be interesting to see what they decide to do going forward. Their Miniskirt stage was nice as it was sexy without being too over the top.

Echo

𝕎𝕠𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕝𝕒𝕟𝕕 Early Supporters
Reaction score
⨭23,441
The problem is that the girls (or at least Seolhyun) expressed being uncomfortable by being reduced to these clothes. I wish they could succeed without going out of their comfort zones like this. I hope more and more idols express how they're more than their bodies and fans support them no matter which fantasies they fulfill

No.1

Idol Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭292,855
...kinda like any other popular girl group at one point or another. If they feel it’s wrong to sexualize idols (which it is), then they should support nugus. The first comments put it perfectly.

Bellamy

Be strong, be brave〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭30,739,764
Pronouns
She/Her

"When I debuted, I used to have tons of GIFs go viral that only zoomed in on a certain part of my body. Some were bad enough that I can’t discuss. I wouldn’t ever wish that on anyone – especially my hoobae (junior) groups but they’re facing it all the same. We all think it’s unfair and not right, but we also think there’s nothing that can be done about our treatment. That breaks my heart.

At first, I was amazed and excited because people began to notice me… But since that, the public has wanted to see only that side of me. Just that and nothing else. It troubled me for a while. I began to question why I had to wear cropped tops all the time. I wanted to try other things too, you know? The cropped top Seolhyun is me too, yes… but I have so much more to me than just that."

— Seolhyun

source

AoA aren't really into it either

This. They didn't choose and that's sad.

Top Bottom