Kpop Analysis

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
So with all of the recent scandals and an impromptu peak inside the industry, I wonder; what do you think about KPOP now?

For myself, I got into kpop basically 10 years ago... I was naïve to most of what happens, I believed in SOSHI bond etc, I just kinda believed what people would say about groups. It wasn't until 09/30 that I seriously took a look at things and took a break. Produce 101 pulled me back in and I ended up joining WJSN fandom. When I joined I just had a hard time believing that WJSN didn't have "success" by the time Dreams Come True came out and decided to figure out why... since then I have been on an amazing journey with WJSN reaching some incredible highs. I have been a loyal and loving Ujung for a long time now.

Within all of the joy and love of seeing WJSN succeed I have seen many groups rise and fall, the industry itself I have come to understand and well quite frankly, I don't like it.

Here's why:

1. Relationship Simulators

To me throughout my whole kpop experience, I've always felt that the whole idea of bgs and ggs has always been that they are treated as relationship simulators. Simulating a bf or gf that's perfect and loves you. With the way the fans have such a large impact on the artists and the actual interaction... that's a lot different than other music industries. The fan service to me has always been a double edged sword, they are so close and yet the relationship is entirely controlled by the company. The way the idols act towards fans is imo, a corporate created delusional relationship that somehow you two are close lol. It's very easy for young people to fall in love with idols under this situation, and the companies encourage it up to the point where the fans feel like that idol is theirs. That's not very healthy /

2. Objectification

This industry is so full of it I'm not sure you can distinguish it anymore. People use to care about that but I guess its not important anymore...

3. Corruption

Sajeegi, mv bot farms, lies, manipulation. Hard to believe anything that comes out with these companies on multiple issues from scandals to all other things connected.

4. Abuse

The idols suffer abuse from their companies and apparently some also cause it. You really have to go out of your way to find a company that doesn't do this in some form.
The ridiculous thing is the standard for the idol lmao. The fans and companies treat them like robots. But I mean they are all real people with strengths and weaknesses just like anyone else. I'm not really sure who to believe nowadays as it seems half the scandals are fake and the real ones we don't get the full story on. The fans from point 1 will defend their idols to the point where they become pathetic... At the same time people false reporting just to mess with idols is very frustrating and makes it hard to believe actual victims...

5. Fandoms

Crazy people lets be honest. The term fan comes from fanatic. What is a fanatic???

Fanatic​

noun
Save Word

fa·nat·ic | \ fə-ˈna-tik \
plural fanatics

Definition of fanatic

(Entry 1 of 2)
1disapproving : a person exhibiting excessive enthusiasm and intense uncritical devotion toward some controversial matter (as in religion or politics)a religious fanatic [=extremist]The fanatics are convinced they are serving a righteous cause and that all means are justified …— Flora Lewis

2: a person who is extremely enthusiastic about and devoted to some interest or activitya boating/sports/racing fanaticShe's a real fanatic when it comes to working out.Since the U.S. economy began to sputter in 2008, shoppers have become coupon fanatics and lovers of buy-one-get-one-free deals …— Janet K. Keeler

fanatic
adjective
\ fə-ˈna-ti-kəl \
variants: or fanatical
Definition of fanatic (Entry 2 of 2)
: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion they're fanatic about politics a fanatic attention to details

The industry wants you to become a fanatic so that you buy every single thing and vote and watch and stream etc, so they can make money off of your fanaticism.

6. Popularity

Lmao omg 150 wins and a bajillion views. My group is so popular! Now go tell your irl friend and see the face they make when you recite meaningless stats about a kpop group :TzuyuKek:

No your faves aren't Beethoven or the Beatles or Queen. Most don't even write their own lyrics much less produce a song. The amount of overhyping in the industry has started to wear on me significantly.

7. Privilege

male group and big (3) company privilege.

Big 3 privilege is annoyingly obvious, any one who denies is blind lmao. Rookie big 3 groups sell chart and get views like a 3rd or 4th year mid tier group that has worked their whole career just to chart once or twice in melon top 100

Boygroup privilege is really pathetic, here in Starship WJSN is the only active group to do anything on charts (As You Wish roof hit hellllllo) and yet they are usually after thoughts and when sexual assault/abuse happens to WJSN(2 times) Starship ignore it and yet same company is immediately out there squashing rumors about another scandal for their bg. Sorry that's not right.

I feel like all of these things build up into a point where I start to only see this. The part that I love about kpop: the music, choreo and members interaction and personalities really gets overshadowed.

I mean burning sun, suicides, constant scandals. That is serious stuff. To be connected to something like kpop which is really just entertainment , it's just a bridge too far for me lmao.

What do you think? Are you having some kpop doubts?

Last edited:

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭160,450
The K-pop world is slowly falling apart, the beautiful and smooth surface is cracked and the more you dig, the more things get shadier, more dark. It's the same in any industry but here it's about K-pop and it's specificity.

They can't hide this illusion longer because it's harder and harder to hide it. Unlike 20-30 years ago internet got way faster, information can travel and be spread instantaneously to the whole word and people, especially victims, are less afraid to speak up.

Bullying is a scourge in South Korea, in fact it is in many countries, how many times I read people telling they were bullied at school (especially middle school, but it also happens at elementary levels and after at high school) but it doesn't help because in South Korea :
- You have this hierarchy system, by age, by seniority
- Teachers seems helpless and powerless at best
- Being from wealthy or influencal background, or being very pretty could help a lot

As for K-pop :
- I'm amazed how groups handles to stay together and not implode despite having various conflicts and tensions between members. Especially when in front of a camera, during shows, acting as they were happy and best friends. Almost nothing shows you that something is fishy when watching their contents. Example : AOA. All the shady things are off camera, behind the scenes.
We often read comments about how members are considered as "coworkers" and not really friends (thankfully great bonds exist : Rainbow, Dal Shabet, while others aren't best friends but still be in touch and have a good relationship like Sistar).
- I've read this article before. With the trainee system, the competition, the stress and more, no wonder why bullying can happen. So after being through this competition young people who were fighting each other are put together ? Now you must act as a team ? Live together for years ? It's hard to believe many groups could survive long enough in these conditions. And I wonder how fake are idols' personnality, I don't know if I'd love to see the truth. It will hurt but at least I can sort and shorten my GGs list.
- Since 3-4 years I have the impression we have more and more scandals (regardless if it's big, minor or even when it's really not one), fans are getting tired.
- If you know the YT channel Grazy Grace, she's being in the industry for not that long but the amount of things she knows is impressive, or scary. So imagine how much a SNSD, a Super Junior or even mid-tier and low-tier groups who were around for a long time can know ?
- My last point is about the fans, they also play a role in this situation. Most of the public are young teenagers, most of them are female fans. They are insanely active on SNS and very loud. Idols are "sold" as your perfect boyfriend/girlfriend, with no flaws, very pretty, doing lots of fanservice, lots of interactions, etc. So fans are way more emotionally attached to them, living their whole illusory life for them, to the detriment of more important things in life. They will defend they fav at all cost, regardless what they did. The industry only wants your money and the visibility you gave them by being active on SNS.
If many fans will grows up and live a healthier life (I hope), others become sasaengs, stalkers, with psychological issues.

Finally you asked my if I have some Kpop doubt ? Of course, I'm conscious about this industry and it's good and bad sides. However I don't think I will abandon Kpop, I'm here for the songs, for the interactions, for the contents, it keeps me busy and seeing them makes me smile and happy even if I know it's probably fake. It's entertainment and it does a great job.
Kpop must stay something to enjoy, a hobby. Don't live your life only for Kpop because you will end sad, disappointed and mentally exhausted. If it's too much you might want to take a break or even leave. Or maybe only focus on songs.

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
The K-pop world is slowly falling apart, the beautiful and smooth surface is cracked and the more you dig, the more things get shadier, more dark. It's the same in any industry but here it's about K-pop and it's specificity.

They can't hide this illusion longer because it's harder and harder to hide it. Unlike 20-30 years ago internet got way faster, information can travel and be spread instantaneously to the whole word and people, especially victims, are less afraid to speak up.

Bullying is a scourge in South Korea, in fact it is in many countries, how many times I read people telling they were bullied at school (especially middle school, but it also happens at elementary levels and after at high school) but it doesn't help because in South Korea :
- You have this hierarchy system, by age, by seniority
- Teachers seems helpless and powerless at best
- Being from wealthy or influencal background, or being very pretty could help a lot

As for K-pop :
- I'm amazed how groups handles to stay together and not implode despite having various conflicts and tensions between members. Especially when in front of a camera, during shows, acting as they were happy and best friends. Almost nothing shows you that something is fishy when watching their contents. Example : AOA. All the shady things are off camera, behind the scenes.
We often read comments about how members are considered as "coworkers" and not really friends (thankfully great bonds exist : Rainbow, Dal Shabet, while others aren't best friends but still be in touch and have a good relationship like Sistar).
- I've read this article before. With the trainee system, the competition, the stress and more, no wonder why bullying can happen. So after being through this competition young people who were fighting each other are put together ? Now you must act as a team ? Live together for years ? It's hard to believe many groups could survive long enough in these conditions. And I wonder how fake are idols' personnality, I don't know if I'd love to see the truth. It will hurt but at least I can sort and shorten my GGs list.
- Since 3-4 years I have the impression we have more and more scandals (regardless if it's big, minor or even when it's really not one), fans are getting tired.
- If you know the YT channel Grazy Grace, she's being in the industry for not that long but the amount of things she knows is impressive, or scary. So imagine how much a SNSD, a Super Junior or even mid-tier and low-tier groups who were around for a long time can know ?
- My last point is about the fans, they also play a role in this situation. Most of the public are young teenagers, most of them are female fans. They are insanely active on SNS and very loud. Idols are "sold" as your perfect boyfriend/girlfriend, with no flaws, very pretty, doing lots of fanservice, lots of interactions, etc. So fans are way more emotionally attached to them, living their whole illusory life for them, to the detriment of more important things in life. They will defend they fav at all cost, regardless what they did. The industry only wants your money and the visibility you gave them by being active on SNS.
If many fans will grows up and live a healthier life (I hope), others become sasaengs, stalkers, with psychological issues.

Finally you asked my if I have some Kpop doubt ? Of course, I'm conscious about this industry and it's good and bad sides. However I don't think I will abandon Kpop, I'm here for the songs, for the interactions, for the contents, it keeps me busy and seeing them makes me smile and happy even if I know it's probably fake. It's entertainment and it does a great job.
Kpop must stay something to enjoy, a hobby. Don't live your life only for Kpop because you will end sad, disappointed and mentally exhausted. If it's too much you might want to take a break or even leave. Or maybe only focus on songs.

I definitely agree with most of that, I think as for the enjoyment of it musically has lessened a lot based on new trends,,, normal things that happen in music. Tbh I just want to be a fan and not have to deal with Twitter stuff and social media, but we live in that era now. Yeah I like Grazy Grace she has some good videos. I feel like a lot of it I suspected but she confirms it. Its not hard to find expose articles or videos on the whole industry going back to Star Museum and before, but I think what is different now is like you said the veneer is cracked and we can see what's inside in a much more open way.

I think creating fake environments like AOA is normal for companies, I however refuse to believe all idols are bullies or did what Jimin did, that takes away personal responsibility of the idols that did bad things. But there's no denying that they have to pretend a lot. I mean Just look at SNSD accidently say ot9 :TzuyuKek:

However, I do love my faves and wont be quitting anytime soon for the record lmao. But the whole industry I have lost most of my interest and faith in. I use to check out all the new release and now I barely notice when even popular groups release something. Tbh I like that, I want to find new songs and groups on my own and appreciate them in my own time, to truly enjoy them. With the comebacks and all the content you lose some of that I feel. The hyper commercialization of every thing in the industry makes it hard to enjoy , instead you just enjoy the social aspect of it. which to me is weird. I'm just rambling now lmao

Anyways I still do love kpop, but what can we do when there are 15 scandals a week:squirtlechristmas:

Last edited:

dnb

Supporting Table Unnie Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,489,116
Some thoughts:

1. Idols are people too. They all have faults and they all have problems.

2. I'm interested in a group as long as I like their music. Bonus points if they seem nice and good, but it really comes down to the music.

3. There is so much toxicity on social media. Doesn't matter if it's Kpop or Western pop music. Good news doesn't travel well, but bad news (even when untrue) does. The amount of false information out there is amazing.

4. One good thing about today's world is that it's easy to find new sources of enjoyment. For me this has meant looking up my favorite songs' composers and arrangers (e.g., MonoTree) and seeking out information on them.

ARandomFan

(っ◔◡◔)っ<3 Content+ Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭772,195
Pronouns
idk
When I got into kpop I was VERY naïve to say the least. I learned about the dirt and cracks as time went on. But I think it help that my view on humanity is very bleak and I knew that I’d never get to know them irl. It sucks that kpop is like this but tbh the whole entertainment industry is like this. Behind the glam and the glitter is the blood, dirt, and grime that make the wheels turn. And the people that make them turn don’t care how it gets done. And that idols / stars have a dream and don’t care how they get there.

I think one of the biggest problems is that fans assume that idols are perfect and forget they are human. If people learned that their favs aren’t god-sent, make mistakes, and that there’s no way in hell they’ll ever get to know them irl so the “they would never!?” Argument doesn’t work then I think the fandoms wouldn’t be so unbearable.
I also wish that people that hate on idols would understand that when they make a false claim they hurt actual victims later down the line. Is your hatred of someone you’ve never met worth a victim never getting heard?

And as much as I want companies to also treat their idols like humans that won’t be possible unless you get someone in charge that cares about people more than money.

In conclusion,
People suck. But we get bops out of it

MedicationHelps87

Bounced Back 2024 Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,488,851
Pronouns
He/Him
I've always separated scandals or crimes or what have you from music.
Like if I didn't like a group or artist or band, for their personal life alone. it is what it is

There would a lot of ones I wouldn't follow anymore.
Which is why I choose to separate it.

I am a fanatic about a lot of things. Including music.
I don't mind that terminology.
It comes with its stereotypes.

I am a proud fanatic and that isn't gonna change anytime soon.

Kpop to me well music in general. I will always admire and be passionate about.

dnb

Supporting Table Unnie Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,489,116
I've always separated scandals or crimes or what have you from music.
Like if I didn't like a group or artist or band, for their personal life alone. it is what it is

There would a lot of ones I wouldn't follow anymore.
Which is why I choose to separate it.

I think we Western fans (I'm including Australia here) have a bit of an advantage in that we're not bothered by artists that do sketchy things.

Ariana sings about topics that would be taboo in South Korea, and Snoop openly inhales all sorts of stuff, but I like them both anyway.

MedicationHelps87

Bounced Back 2024 Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,488,851
Pronouns
He/Him
I think we Western fans (I'm including Australia here) have a bit of an advantage in that we're not bothered by artists that do sketchy things.

Ariana sings about topics that would be taboo in South Korea, and Snoop openly inhales all sorts of stuff, but I like them both anyway.
That is true.
I am in the same boat on both Snoop and Grande as well.

Reactions: dnb
Top Bottom