Let's talk about F%#& Up stuff (Horror, Bizarre, and so on)! Sorta Your Favorite, Recommendation, and Rec Request Topic!

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
This isn't my favorite genre or type of manga/anime if I can call this a genre, but it's sorta an obsession for me. I'm referring to things that may be considered fuck up to most normal minds. It's not something bound by genre. It can be thriller, horror, mystery, action, and so on. Most of them will be classified as or have elements of horror.

I wanna know your favorite ones or the ones that caused some extreme/repulsive reaction. Maybe I can find new ones this way. Most are manga, as you know fuck up stuff is hard to sell or animate. Elfen Lied is fuck up alright, but it's pretty tame in manga form.

I consider myself pretty immune to shocking stuff. I prefer something that isn't too blunt. Something more subtle and atmospheric seem to work better for me. Just naming some (by some I mean a very long post), so you can gauge my preference for recommendation. Let's start strong and as I go down, it will become more typical horror fare, so it gets out the way quick:

Midori: It's kinda becoming Boku no Pico meme level although it's less trollish. Before it was a "hipster" recommendation. I guess it's the quintessential ero-guro anime by now. If you don't know ero-guro and think Junji Ito is too much sometimes, don't even touch this. For ero-guro standards, it's quite "light". It has a bizarre quality to it due to the low quality which is a mix of on purpose style and also lack of funds. What makes this anime interesting isn't the work itself, but how it came to existence. I have read similar stuff in manga form on the senseless suffering kind which are way worse than this one, I will not even mention here, so using Midori as an upsetting scale, more than this is a no for me.

Mai chan's Daily Life: Ero-guro about every fuck up stuff you can imagine inflicted to an immortal cute maid. You imagined it? No it's worse. If you got it about right? Gratz, you are a fuck up human being! It's not the worse for this sorta blunt hentai ero guro. Most ero guros may be either suffering focused like Midori or "comedic" like this one. It's a bit too "comedic" and hentai which I don't appreciate. It would be better without the hentai or at least with better tasteful presentation for me. The only redeeming aspects of this is the dark comedy stuff which isn't my thing if presented this way.

Shintaro Kago's work: a guy famous for his ero-guro works. Now you may think I'm some sorta ero-guro aficionado. No I'm not. I don't like this genre. I didn't even know this was a genre when I first delved into this dark world of manga. Most are just disgusting and in your face which I don't appreciate and IMO garbage. This is the last proper ero-guro I will mention. Now I kinda like his works. He gets it. In order to tackle fuck up or "imaginative" stuff, you need some finesse and he has it. You can even see some societal commentary even thou he is depicting scatology stuff. If you are curious about this one, just check An Inquiry Concerning A Mechanistic Worldview of the Pituitary Gland (what a title). There are more artsy-fartsy stuff than this one that I could recommend to anyone but if you think this is interesting and can stomach it, the rest shouldn't be too far from this.

Pumpkin Night: I guess I will categorize it as blatant gore horror. I like it, but it's kinda shallow and maybe even a bit try hard. It could have gone a tad darker than it is or maybe some other subtlety. If I can imagine a story darker or more fuck up, I think it kinda fail in my scale. Not saying it is a fail. It's enjoyable and I guess if you like gore stuff and fuck up stories, but not too fuck up it's upsetting, I think this is a fine one to start if you wanna drop to this rabbit hole. Dunno how this one will turn out thou. Maybe it gets better, so I'm not judging it too hard.

Umameru Kachi: I guess I categorize it as protagonist is a piece of shit who does fuck up stuff. Not my thing. However, for this one in particular is I wish the author was better. It could have better art or maybe explore the fuck up aspect with better writing. It just comes off as edgy as manga go. Otherwise, you just feel bad in the end. It could have potential. If you recommend something similar to this, it has to be better than this one.

I Am Hero: typical zombie fair, but it does have some psychological fuck up things that elevates it to just any regular zombie fare with excellent art. I think it's the psychological and subtle horror parts are the scarier parts as they are unsettling. but not enough to become repugnant. You need some finesse to touch uncomfortable subjects and this one got it IMO.

Kowabon: it's pretty short typical Japanese horror style anime series. A couple of episodes were genuinely scary. Maybe it because I watched it in the computer. The animation is pretty interesting. The only bad part is the ending of each episode because it shows how they filmed it which destroys any lingering unsettling fear you may have felt. I wish they compiled it separately.

Kagewani: another short anime series. It's more Cthulhu inspired with a Japanese folk horror flare. Some episodes have some influences from movies like Tremors. It's not particularly scary for me, but I like the atmosphere. One episode was somewhat scary (when I mean scary here, it made my heart beat a couple beats faster). The animation can look goofy or wonky, as it is basically cut-offs, but it works for me.

Junji Ito's work: I adore his works. I don't think I need to say more about him. It should be pretty known by now. Personal favorite without citing Gyo and Uzumaki is Lovesick Dead. If something comes close to his style, recommend me.

Eden It's an Endless World: I guess the first word people spill is nihilistic. I guess I will call this one the world is fuck up, government sux, poverty sux, the end is near, humans are crap sorta category. This is pretty good and actually it could be a bit worse. I mean it's almost as fuck up as the real world. It should match it.

Homunculus: this one is the psychological fuck up. It's not really that messed up IMO. It's a pretty good read. I like this sorta stuff.

Ichi the Killer: I guess I have to mention this one as it's a perennial one. It was pretty fuck up and shocking at the time I guess, but nowadays it's kinda the baseline for similar works. If you have recommendations of similar quality, shoot me up.

Shigurui: I could have used Berserk or Blade of the Immortal for this category. The more "action" that may have some fuck up stuff. Shigurui is just a tad more fuck up than the average. I welcome this sorta stuff as it is "tame".

Ghost Hunt: Now it's the E for Everyone category. it's not even close to fuck up, but it's horror. It's a bit too light for my taste, but it has a couple of pretty good arcs which increased my heartbeat by 1. I think this one is safe for people who aren't into horror, but want some thrill. It's also a bit shoujo-ish, so it may be a plus if you wanna watch with your GF who doesn't like horror.

A Drifting Classroom: it wouldn't be that fuck up if this wasn't targeted to young audience lol. Just because kids are your protagonists, it doesn't mean kids can take it. I'd not show this to my kids, but I watched some fuck up movies in my early teens and I turned out OK (I think), so maybe it's fine. You know, country X is a different culture or it was a different time sorta excuse. Another similar work from this author is God’s Left Hand, Devil's Right Hand and Fourteen. Both are the fuck up horror escalate as the manga goes. If you want to read kids falling into a nightmare/hellish scenario, there is nothing better! It's old school.

Hideshi Hino's Work: another old school horror mangaka. Check Panorama of Hell and Skin and Bone. The art is a little stylish to say the least or even childish, but the horror is gruesome. The author's life story is very interesting. I wanted to check what was the demography of his works were because the stories seem to involve children a lot like the above author and mangas of that time with kids would mean it's for kids, but it's too fuck up for early teens IMO. I read that lot of his fans are from shoujo demographic.

Franken Fran: I guess this is the E for Everyone for fuck up and body horror stuff. I mean I wouldn't suggest it to a middle schooler, but it almost safe for them. It's more comedic in tone and light hearted even thou it touches some themes with fuck up implications like pedophilia.

Elfen Lied/Narutaru/Deadman Wonderland: I will bunch them together although they aren't really the same, but I mean they are kinda fuck up as TV series goes, but as manga it's actually pretty tame. Recommend me anime that kinda fits this case even if the manga is superior. I may check the manga later.

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service: I guess it's more like the premise is interesting than fuck up per se, so I will use this one as example. Similar works are appreciated.

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro: I think it's an overlooked series. It's a detective story with demonic themes. It's not fuck up although the themes are. The most unique aspect of this manga/anime is depicting really ugly things in a cute way. It's borderline on the weird side. Let's say how to present weird and horrific themes for a shonen audience. This would be the anime for this task. The anime is not complete sadly, so check the manga.

Tsutomu Nihei's Works: it's not horror per se, but the use of scale of space and time in his works can be unsettling and invoke horrific atmosphere like in Blame!. Knights of Sidonia has some horror elements, but maybe a bit light and more sci-fi and appealing to the mainstream. Still worthy checking. He does have some horror-centric works like Biomega. What I can say about Biomega? Zombies and bear with guns. It gets crazier as chapter goes.

Serial Experiment Lain: this one is a bit hard to describe. It was a bit hipster at the time, but it's getting forgotten, so I will mention this. I guess it's a psychological thriller, but it's weirdly paced. It's borderline artsy. I'm into artsy-fartsy stuff.

Boogiepop Phantom: sorta like Lain in style. The first anime series is a bit on the weird side and also artsy like Lain. It's hard to follow sorta of horror story. The more recent one is more conventional. It's OK. I guess it's more accessible, but not as special as the first one.

Monster: maybe I should mention this one although it's not exactly I'm looking for. It's too good although it's within horror category. This one I watch if I genuinely wanna quality. This one is usually mentioned when top of the cream or must watch before dying series are concerned. This isn't a subjective opinion, so check it if you never watched it yet. Just check everything from Naoki Urasawa. It is quality shit.

Some shoutouts, so you don't need to recommend me, maybe I should have expanded more: Goth, Island, Jisatsu Circle, Kurozuka, Manhole, Emerging, Shiki, Jigoku Shoujo, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Secret Comic Japan, The Horror Mansion, Highschool of the Dead, Tokyo Ghoul, Kabaneri, Attack on Titan, xxxHolic, Secred Flower Garden, Cambrian, Devilman, Dead Tube, School Days, Ao Oni the Animation.

I'm probably missed lot of works that could loosely fit here, so tell me what is the most messed up stuff you watched or read and if it's not listed here, recommend me!

NO AOI GURO FOR ME, PLS!

Last edited:

Jibang

Sowon ♥️ Yerin ♥️ Eunha ♥️ Yuju ♥️ SinB ♥️ Umji ♥️ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭48,050
I've only watched Gantz and Berserk which got weird at the end.

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
I've only watched Gantz and Berserk which got weird at the end.

Are you referring to the first Berserk TV series? Yeah if you watch it without any context, it is a weird turn of events. If they didn't change some of the couple of episodes leading to the ending one it would be less of a 180. It's kinda hinted in the first episode thou.

Baymax

(•—•)
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,400
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is probably the most f'd up anime I have seen.
I watched this when I was like 11/12 years old, and it definitely left me feeling unsettled and horrified.
The scenes I remember most is the nail ripping one and when one of the characters repeatedly bashed their head against a knife.

I'll give Another a mention because of the infamous umbrella scene.
It was a hot mess near the end when all the students went into panic mode but I was gripped by the plot.

Top Bottom