Life (2007)

Idol Killer

Idolchii Moderator
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,017,315
Plot: Ayumu (Kii KITANO) passes an entrance exam of a high school with help of Yuko (Akane OSAWA), her best friend, but Yuko fails and blames Ayumu for her failure. Broken heart from the broken friendship, Ayumu shuts her up and gives up making new friends in high school. But Manami (Saki FUKUDA), the most popular girl in her class, is more than happy to accept her as her friend, so she starts to enjoy her new life. But when Manami misunderstands that Ayumu is trying to steal her boyfriend, her insidious bullying to Ayumu begins. With nobody to turn to as her mother concerns more about her weak brother, and her teacher has her own problem, she is pushed to the limit of losing herself. Based on a popular comic book, this drama with a controversial theme follows a girl who finds true friendship and stands up for her to live.

I'm not someone that can binge into a drama this easily. Yet, this one made me not only change something in myself, wanting to help those in need more than ever before. The story is something that I have somehow been in relation with, seeing up close someone getting bullied and although I didn't partake in, I feel responsible for not lifting a finger back then.

KII KITANO, the actress that plays the main character played her role in a way that makes you believe in it. KITANO is talented and I find myself searching for another one of her dramas or movies and I find it quite shocking that there aren't many of them.

My rating of this drama would certainly be around 8/10.
I felt that the ending feel a bit incomplete. That was the only down part.

technova

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭11,680
Maybe, it's because I couldn't connect with the story and the characters well or maybe because this was one of the first j-dramas I have ever watched but my rating for this drama would be at maximum 7/10.

I agree with the ending feeling kind of incomplete. But it wasn't a down part for me. I really hate it when they end dramas like Secret Forest where everyone suddenly realizes their mistakes and turn into angels. I know many script writers&directors have their products content banned so they have to finish their products with a happy ending (especially the ones about the corruption within the government) but I think unfinished stories are a better solution then turning the drama into almost a fairy-tale.

A positive side of the drama is, even though it has a length of 11*36 mins, it doesn't feel that long. And it's quite rewatchable. (Its rewatch value is 8/10 for me)

But I think it was quite forgettable. Other than a few violent scenes (which gave me a huge headache while watching them so I had to stop watching from time to time), I don't remember much about it.

Idol Killer

Idolchii Moderator
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,017,315
Maybe, it's because I couldn't connect with the story and the characters well or maybe because this was one of the first j-dramas I have ever watched but my rating for this drama would be at maximum 7/10.

I agree with the ending feeling kind of incomplete. But it wasn't a down part for me. I really hate it when they end dramas like Secret Forest where everyone suddenly realizes their mistakes and turn into angels. I know many script writers&directors have their products content banned so they have to finish their products with a happy ending (especially the ones about the corruption within the government) but I think unfinished stories are a better solution then turning the drama into almost a fairy-tale.

A positive side of the drama is, even though it has a length of 11*36 mins, it doesn't feel that long. And it's quite rewatchable. (Its rewatch value is 8/10 for me)

But I think it was quite forgettable. Other than a few violent scenes (which gave me a huge headache while watching them so I had to stop watching from time to time), I don't remember much about it.

Yeah but they aren't necessarily need to end it on a positive note. In my opinion, they could have ended with only showing what happened next for Ayumu. At some point in the story, she visited that area with her friends where she realized that the world is bigger than her school life. They could have developed on that other than showing that her bully is receiving the same thing that she did.

I agree. I watched it in one day and I still felt that I could watch more of it.

I gotta admit, when the bald villain guy was introduced. I was having doubt about keeping watch it. I started to think that it was related to the Junko Furuta case.

technova

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭11,680
Yeah but they aren't necessarily need to end it on a positive note. In my opinion, they could have ended with only showing what happened next for Ayumu. At some point in the story, she visited that area with her friends where she realized that the world is bigger than her school life. They could have developed on that other than showing that her bully is receiving the same thing that she did.

I agree. I watched it in one day and I still felt that I could watch more of it.

I gotta admit, when the bald villain guy was introduced. I was having doubt about keeping watch it. I started to think that it was related to the Junko Furuta case.
now that I read what you wrote I kind of feel stupid :D I don't know why I thought they either had the options of this ending or a positive one.

I thought of dropping it in the building scene where the leads were kidnapped becuse I felt like I couldn't take it anymore. The drama is not for weak hearted people.

I actually really want to watch this drama again because when I first watched it I couldn't really take dark stories well and I wasn't really used to Japanese style story telling. I think I might even rate it higher after giving it a second chance. Currently it's rated 5.5/10 in my mydramalist.

Also it seems I don't even remember much of it to give a review anyway. I couldn't even remember the highlighted part in your comment 🙄.

Idol Killer

Idolchii Moderator
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,017,315
now that I read what you wrote I kind of feel stupid :D I don't know why I thought they either had the options of this ending or a positive one.

I thought of dropping it in the building scene where the leads were kidnapped becuse I felt like I couldn't take it anymore. The drama is not for weak hearted people.

I actually really want to watch this drama again because when I first watched it I couldn't really take dark stories well and I wasn't really used to Japanese style story telling. I think I might even rate it higher after giving it a second chance. Currently it's rated 5.5/10 in my mydramalist.

Also it seems I don't even remember much of it to give a review anyway. I couldn't even remember the highlighted part in your comment 🙄.

I agree. The building part was kinda hard to swallow for me as well. It gets really dark into these parts.

I think that the chances that you might give it a high rate is really possible. The story is really good and I love how the characters get developed during it.

It's during the summer break. They are looking at a garden full of Sunflowers. That part was really touching in my opinion.

Yuki

Ç'est quoi ce merdier? Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,137,509
It was one of the first Jdrama i have watched and rewatched it for 3 times.
I love dark stories personally so i can take it. I also thought it is kinda weak compare to others film that i've watched like Confession for example.
The plot is good
Character development is also amazing
The ending is an open end and it tries to tell us how much this world suck.
My only complaint about the drama is the music. The creepy/tense/dramatic music was being played every damm time even it was so out of place and didnt fit the atsmophere.

Last edited:

Feitan

Hallyuboo
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,224,270
I was just thinking about this drama. I watched it when I was like 13 and i remember the bully's boyfeiend creeping me the fuck out.
I was just thinking about this drama. I watched it when I was like 13 and i remember the bully's boyfeiend creeping me the fuck out.

Idol Killer

Idolchii Moderator
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,017,315
It was one of the first Jdrama i have watched and rewatched it for 3 times.
I love dark stories personally so i can take it. I also thought it is kinda weak compare to others film that i've watched like Confession for example.
The plot is good
Character development is also amazing
The ending is an open end and it tries to tell us how much this world suck.
My only complaint about the drama is the music. The creepy/tense/dramatic music was being played every damm time even it was so out of place and didnt fit the atsmophere.

What made Confession better? I haven't watched Confession so I don't really know.

He was really creepy but the actor played the character really well.

Yuki

Ç'est quoi ce merdier? Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,137,509
What made Confession better? I haven't watched Confession so I don't really know.

He was really creepy but the actor played the character really well.
Darker
If you had a hard time deal with Life then i dont think you should watch it
thats what i mean weaker.
also the storytelling is better imo
Character development i think equally

Idol Killer

Idolchii Moderator
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,017,315
Darker
If you had a hard time deal with Life then i dont think you should watch it
thats what i mean weaker.
also the storytelling is better imo
Character development i think equally

I watched darker stuff than Life, trust me.
I bookmarked it and will watch it the next time I get the time to do it. I will post my review too.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭360
Just watched this few months ago, I like this drama a lot. Miki is one of my favourite character in drama. she was so cool and kind.

Top Bottom