Limits Set on Lengthy Chinese Dramas

Lightning

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭10,825
- Update on this topic -

The limit of 40 has now been confirmed by the NRTA, along with emphasis on making dramas shorter than 30 episodes.

This is due to their belief that recent productions were unnecessarily lengthened with filler episodes which negatively affected the quality and storyline flow of the shows.

If a production genuinely requires more than 40 episodes, they are required to ask for permission specifying the reasons and also that it won't be due to filler episodes.

Sources English https://www.jaynestars.com/news/china-to-limit-tv-dramas-to-40-episodes/

Chinese https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1659063398459672386

Original post follows

Chinese dramas are known for their lengthy format. Sometimes the storyline drags up to 60 episodes due to the pay being calculated per episode. Though some viewers don’t mind the lengthy dramas, many find it too tiresome to watch such long dramas with filler episodes that contribute nothing to the story. Recently, China’s National Radio and Television Administration (NRTA) is considering setting new maximum limits of 40 episodes for dramas.

Sina Entertainment sought to confirm whether the news was true with online video sites and industry insiders, but both expressed that they have not received any official notice yet. However, two film and television industry executives have confirmed to the media that this strategy is aimed to cut down funding.

NRTA is also seeking advice from the industry to officially determine the number of episodes allowed. It is likely an official announcement will be released soon, since the administration responded that they are currently in discussion and will place restrictions.

Last edited:

Qoptyi

Hallyuboo Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭304,200
I've been put off many times in trying out Chinese dramas, purely based on their length. I'm currently watching "Le Coup de Foudre" which is fairly short by their standards at 35 episodes of 45 minutes each. (It's quite good, but unnecessary slow at times.) So a limit to 40 episodes in China would help encourage people like me to try out more shows.

(Which is why I think the Korean 16 episode style is much more successful.)

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
i've only watched "short" dramas like Love O2O and A Love So Beautiful and I think they're still too long

Echo

𝕎𝕠𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕝𝕒𝕟𝕕 Early Supporters
Reaction score
⨭23,441
How do people even watch shows that long :omgwhat: Maybe less episode numbers will encourage people to try Chinese dramas

Lightning

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭10,825
I've been put off many times in trying out Chinese dramas, purely based on their length. I'm currently watching "Le Coup de Foudre" which is fairly short by their standards at 35 episodes of 45 minutes each. (It's quite good, but unnecessary slow at times.) So a limit to 40 episodes in China would help encourage people like me to try out more shows.

(Which is why I think the Korean 16 episode style is much more successful.)

For me it's not about amount of episodes, it's about the filler (like dragonball z or as you said when it's unnecessarily slow).

I'd have no problem with a 100 episode show if every episode had a good story to tell, but when it's extended unnecessarily reportedly due to pay structure like this article suggests, that's obviously bad for the viewer.

I think Le Coup de Foudre is really good too!

grainy

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭851,511
For me it's not about amount of episodes, it's about the filler (like dragonball z or as you said when it's unnecessarily slow).

I'd have no problem with a 100 episode show if every episode had a good story to tell, but when it's extended unnecessarily reportedly due to pay structure like this article suggests, that's obviously bad for the viewer.

I think Le Coup de Foudre is really good too!
I agree with this - I really like The King's Avatar, and the interspersed CGI for the game really saved the pace.

boo

*¨*•.¸¸ପଓ VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭294,005
I hope they don't start splitting their dramas to season 1 and 2 because of this

Lightning

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭10,825
I hope they don't start splitting their dramas to season 1 and 2 because of this

Funny you mention that. I heard rumours about some productions considering switching to season format because of supposed cap on salary per season. So this news may be another factor in pushing towards that model.

That would be a shame if they weren't all filmed at once, because one of the strengths of Chinese dramas is you generally get stories with beginning, middle and end (even if it's long winded).

Seasons opens up the chance of shows being cancelled without wrapping things up properly which is always so disappointing.

Reactions: boo

boo

*¨*•.¸¸ପଓ VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭294,005
Funny you mention that. I heard rumours about some productions considering switching to season format because of supposed cap on salary per season. So this news may be another factor in pushing towards that model.

That would be a shame if they weren't all filmed at once, because one of the strengths of Chinese dramas is you generally get stories with beginning, middle and end (even if it's long winded).

Seasons opens up the chance of shows being cancelled without wrapping things up properly which is always so disappointing.
exactly, i would rather have long ones with proper endings than waiting for another season that may never come

Lightning

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭10,825
Update on this topic

The limit of 40 has now been confirmed by the NRTA, along with emphasis on making dramas shorter than 30 episodes.

This is due to their belief that recent productions were unnecessarily lengthened with filler episodes which negatively affected the quality and storyline flow of the shows.

If a production genuinely requires more than 40 episodes, they are required to ask for permission specifying the reasons and also that it won't be due to filler episodes.

Sources English https://www.jaynestars.com/news/china-to-limit-tv-dramas-to-40-episodes/

Chinese https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1659063398459672386

Top Bottom