MV Meltrosz's OPM Recommendation: Episode 4 - Tell Me by Various Artists

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
Episode 4 -Tell Me by Various Artists
unknown.png

Hello, everyone! I've decided to start a little project of introducing the forum to some of the best songs from my country, the Philippines. We call the songs from our country as "OPM" which means Original Philippine Music.
To encourage interaction, I will be rewarding the best comment with ⨭10,000!
The winner will be announced in my next episode.

Before everything, I'll announce the winner for my
previous episode's best comment!
Congratulations! You win ⨭10,000!

For my fourth episode, here is a song that has been covered by various artists, including two famous foreign singers!

The most popular cover in the Philippines:

A cover by "Got To Believe In Magic" singer, David Pomeranz:

American Idol finalist David Archuleta:

There are nights when I can't help but cry
And I wonder why you have to leave me

Why did it have to end so soon
When you said that you would never leave me

Tell me
Where did I go wrong?
What did I do to make you change your mind completely
When I thought
This love would never end
But if this love's not ours to have
I'll let it go
With your goodbye

Why did it have to end so soon
When you said that you would never leave me

Tell me
Where did I go wrong?
What did I do to make you change your mind completely?
When I thought
This love would never end
But if this love's not ours to have
I'll let it go
With your goodbye...

This song was originally sung by
Joey Albert during the 1980s, but it was popularized by the Filipino pop band Side A. The song tells the story of someone who loved a person very much, but that person suddenly left the singer. And so, the singer wonders where he/she went wrong and why he/she was left by his/her loved one. In the end, the singer decides to accept that maybe they weren't meant to be so he/she lets go of all those feelings.

Although the song is very beautiful, in my opinion, the lyrics of the song will not survive in the current Internet age. It will be heavily criticized for blaming one's self for something another person did wrong. People will probably even say that whoever left the singer does not deserve such a sweet song dedicated to them. However, I do not think it's wrong to reflect on one's self. There may actually be a deeper story behind the lyrics. It's possible that the singer did something wrong and that's why his/her loved one left him. In the end, the singer just decides that it's not theirs to have so he gives up immediately. In this scenario, both people are in the wrong, but more on the singer because he was the one who wronged his/her loved one, and he/she just gave up after a disagreement.

What did you think of the song? Leave your comments, suggestions, and feedback below!

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600
I love this. It’s soo good. My favorite thing about covers is that artists usually make some sort of change so the song fits them better, and I really like seeing how they will carry it out.

This is the first time I’ve heard any of these, but I think the SideA version is my favorite out of the bunch. It’s not too much and not too little in the instrumentation. Specifically, the guitar stood out a lot to me. The lyrics are simple but they aren’t bland, which is good

David Pomeranz’s version felt very bare. It still works but he didn’t do much different from the original by Joey Albert. I like Archuleta’s version, addng small details and changing some of the vocal work.

Idk what exactly the singer did to deserve being left out of the blue, but i can feel the loss and abandonedment they feel in the lyrics

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
I love this. It’s soo good. My favorite thing about covers is that artists usually make some sort of change so the song fits them better, and I really like seeing how they will carry it out.

This is the first time I’ve heard any of these, but I think the SideA version is my favorite out of the bunch. It’s not too much and not too little in the instrumentation. Specifically, the guitar stood out a lot to me. The lyrics are simple but they aren’t bland, which is good

David Pomeranz’s version felt very bare. It still works but he didn’t do much different from the original by Joey Albert. I like Archuleta’s version, addng small details and changing some of the vocal work.

Idk what exactly the singer did to deserve being left out of the blue, but i can feel the loss and abandonedment they feel in the lyrics
i very much agree with your analysis!

Side A's version is well-deserved of being the most popular cover of the song. The cover was released in the mid-1990s but until now, it's still popular.

David Archuleta's version was released more recently (maybe early to mid-2000s?) so it still retains a style familiar to people. These two's style fits what we like about the early 2000s style.

Meanwhile David Pomeranz and the original's style is more like a 1980s song. It's actually interesting about David Pomeranz. Your analysis is probably correct, but when I first heard his version, I was actually impressed. Because I can hear the style he uses in "Got To Believe In Magic" and many of his other songs and I was like "This is really David Pomeranz"

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600
i very much agree with your analysis!

Side A's version is well-deserved of being the most popular cover of the song. The cover was released in the mid-1990s but until now, it's still popular.

David Archuleta's version was released more recently (maybe early to mid-2000s?) so it still retains a style familiar to people. These two's style fits what we like about the early 2000s style.

Meanwhile David Pomeranz and the original's style is more like a 1980s song. It's actually interesting about David Pomeranz. Your analysis is probably correct, but when I first heard his version, I was actually impressed. Because I can hear the style he uses in "Got To Believe In Magic" and many of his other songs and I was like "This is really David Pomeranz"
Side A’s version deserves the world

Archuleta’s version did feel 2000ish. Maybe it’s cause i grew up on the sound, but I really enjoy it

Oooh really? I don’t think I’ve ever heard any of Pomeranz’s songs so maybe that’s why I felt the way i do 🤔

Top Bottom