Most promising Girl Group debut of 2020?

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
Nothing became as popular as Itzy's debut last year, but there have been quite a few good songs.

If I miss anything, let me know.

One of the first. I remember people talking about it and it being quite liked amongst Kpop fans. Seems to have been overshadowed by later debuts, though.

I remember almost nobody talking about it. I like how original it is. Nice group that deserves more attention.

This one did quite a lot on Youtube. Part of the reason is that there was an Indonesian member debuting and it having quite some interest in Indonesia.
Now, this attetion is not undeserved in my view. It's one of my favorite songs this year.

This one has been very overlooked. I don't remember hearing about it all.
They do their best with a low budget, but you can not really see the members because they are either in the shade or their face is partly covered in the MV, which I find a little weird.

This one is winning the ROTY awards for GGs. In a sense, they have been quite lucky in that there were no Big3 groups debuting during the same time period. I am happy for them though. Groups from smaller companies also deserve a shot at that. The MV is cute and the song nice to listen to.

Now this one I hadn't even heard of until I started searchig for GGs debuting this year. It seems there is some kind of bullying scandal involving a few of the members that first debuted in another group. It is being denied.

This is more girl crush than many of the others. They are all members of Neonpunch. From what I understand, this was meant as a subunit, but is now a new group, with the other Neonpunch members not participating.

Doesn't seem to have made much noise, even though it's a nice debut in my view. Like the name too.

Got some hate for non-Asian members debuting, unfortunately.

It's an entertaining MV that deserves a look into. Wish they got more attention.

My favorite song out of these. It also made quite a bit of noise too. If this had been a song by a more famous group, I think this would have been a big hit.

Also got some hate for foreign members. Compared to Prisma, they were talked about a little more, though.
Edit: one member since left because of scandal.

Split up with another post below so that the YT MVs are showing properly.

Last edited:

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
I put the rest here so you can see the Youtube links properly.

Really low Youtube views. Nothing against the members, but both the camera work in the vid and the song kind of annoy me.

At least this one has more budget than the previous. Has not made much noise as far as I know, though.

This had been far the most pre-debut hype. It's a SM group after all. There was quite some drama surrounding the debut, but I don't think it will hinder their path to stardom.

A special case, of course, as it consists of very famous ladies. Great song.

Edit: Added this after Chenriah Carey mentioned them. Nice, cheerful song. Heard about them before, but forgot about them, unfortunately. Seem to be a bit midtier when it comes to 2020 debuted GGs and attention they received.

Making this list, made me once again realize how risky it is to debut with a non-famous company. Some will become at least reasonably successful, others might just barely stay afloat, while others go nowhere at all.

Last edited:

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
Most promising in terms of successful is Aespa by miles.

Weeekly seems to have some buzz.

Just posting Purple K!ss predebut bc Purple K!ss is my most promising for someone i will stan.

Thanks for posting! This is probably the GG I have been most looking forward to.
Probably you know already, but the members can be seen in this ONEWE vid too:

hatmixx

Ain't Nobody Fifth Place HoE VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭367,400
Pronouns
No Sana No Life

Also got some hate for foreign members. Compared to Prisma, they were talked about a little more, though.

Didn't they disband already?
Thanks for posting! This is probably the GG I have been most looking forward to.
Probably you know already, but the members can be seen in this ONEWE vid too:

yeah, they did some covers of theri songs too. idc about boy groups, but if they are successful...then good XD

Seriously

Pretty 💜 Psycho Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭78,850
Weeekly are my fave of the bunch for sure, the whole album was fun :heartublob:

Most promising in terms of successful is Aespa by miles.

Weeekly seems to have some buzz.

Just posting Purple K!ss predebut bc Purple K!ss is my most promising for someone i will stan.

I'm withholding any strong feelings on them until i see if the unexpected rock flavor was a one off or not :TeaPar:

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
Didn't they disband already?

Did they? I think one member left because of a scandal, but haven't followed them so much, so you might be right?
yeah, they did some covers of theri songs too. idc about boy groups, but if they are successful...then good XD

I seem to have a soft spot for all RBW groups:peepoblanket:
Weeekly are my fave of the bunch for sure, the whole album was fun :heartublob:
Oh, was it? I only know the title track. I will check out the rest:hehe:

hatmixx

Ain't Nobody Fifth Place HoE VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭367,400
Pronouns
No Sana No Life
I'm withholding any strong feelings on them until i see if the unexpected rock flavor was a one off or not :TeaPar:

imma dump that Tea into the Atlantic just like my forefathers did...

ElFrzyZXYAA_QfO.jpg

Stannie

Philippians 4:11-13
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,001
Out of all the debuts, only StayC has really caught my interest. Initially I wasn't too impressed by the song but it's since grown on me. Three of the girls also have memorable visuals so yeah, I'll be keeping an eye for their next cb.

Heard they have caught some interest in China as well for reminding cnetz of T-ara apparently.

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
Tbh I only liked a few debuts enough to watch again which is rare for me as I usually really like a lot of rookie group songs but tbh there were only a few I liked, they are Weeekly, Aespa and StayC.

Aespa is one I have learned all the members already. I know half of Weeekly and no one in Stay C but I do like their title so I might get to know them more lol.

A few groups I find interesting but not really enjoy their debut are Secret Number and Cignature tbh I would like all the rookies to have some better songs next year but usually on debut things can be forgettable :catpopcorn:

sm maid

Global Star Administrator Events VIP+ Eighth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭50,854
Pronouns
She/Her
as someone who used to have good day as their ultimate gg, I will support cignature and red quare no matter what
that being said, while I genuinely enjoyed every song cignature released this year, I'm not sure about red square's direction so far

other than that, I really enjoyed both weeekly's releases, botopass's flamingo and bling bling's ggb
I don't think I will actually stan these groups, botopass has a lot of ppl a bit taken aback because of the rumoured bullying stuff from previous iluv members. I'm actually more inclined to stan bling bling if they keep doing brazilian funk inspired songs so I'm waiting for their next release

about Secret Number, STAYC and aespa, they're all very pretty but I need more and better music from them to be sure. I will probably end up stanning aespa somewhere along the way because well sm groups always catch my attention, but Black Mamba is kind of just so-so. For Secret Number, I didn't like Who dis, but Got That Boom was a huge improvement, I actually love that song. STAYC's So Bad didn't meet the expectations I had for a BEP-produced group.

really expecting Purple Kiss's official debut. CRAXY had some visually stunning concept, but I didn't like the song, we will see what they do in the future.

overall, I'd say weeekly and cignature seem the most promising to me in the music department, but I think aespa, Secret Number and STAYC are most likely to succeed

mert

Sensin Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,600
aespa is the most promising.
i liked stayc the most. both song and the group.

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
Tbh I only liked a few debuts enough to watch again which is rare for me as I usually really like a lot of rookie group songs but tbh there were only a few I liked, they are Weeekly, Aespa and StayC.

Aespa is one I have learned all the members already. I know half of Weeekly and no one in Stay C but I do like their title so I might get to know them more lol.

A few groups I find interesting but not really enjoy their debut are Secret Number and Cignature tbh I would like all the rookies to have some better songs next year but usually on debut things can be forgettable :catpopcorn:
I always have trouble remembering members. When I hear people who know members of groups that they only vaguely like, I am always impressed.
Am also looking forward to seeing what they'll do next year. Hopefully, most of the nugu groups will get another chance to become more famous.

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
as someone who used to have good day as their ultimate gg, I will support cignature and red quare no matter what
that being said, while I genuinely enjoyed every song cignature released this year, I'm not sure about red square's direction so far

other than that, I really enjoyed both weeekly's releases, botopass's flamingo and bling bling's ggb
I don't think I will actually stan these groups, botopass has a lot of ppl a bit taken aback because of the rumoured bullying stuff from previous iluv members. I'm actually more inclined to stan bling bling if they keep doing brazilian funk inspired songs so I'm waiting for their next release

about Secret Number, STAYC and aespa, they're all very pretty but I need more and better music from them to be sure. I will probably end up stanning aespa somewhere along the way because well sm groups always catch my attention, but Black Mamba is kind of just so-so. For Secret Number, I didn't like Who dis, but Got That Boom was a huge improvement, I actually love that song. STAYC's So Bad didn't meet the expectations I had for a BEP-produced group.

really expecting Purple Kiss's official debut. CRAXY had some visually stunning concept, but I didn't like the song, we will see what they do in the future.

overall, I'd say weeekly and cignature seem the most promising to me in the music department, but I think aespa, Secret Number and STAYC are most likely to succeed

Didn't know about Red Square members also being from Good Day.
Nice analysis. I enjoyed reading this :)

Top Bottom