Yuki

Ç'est quoi ce merdier? Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,137,509
MUSIC RECOMMENDATIONS: KEYAKIZAKA46 EDITION
Written by: Skönt

keyakizaka46.png

Keyakizaka46 was created on August 21, 2015, becoming the first Nogizaka46's sister group under the Sakamichi series. On April 6, 2016, the group debuted with Silent Majority, which was a mega-hit that helped them climb to the top in a short time. It is the start of an amazing, but also a rocky journey of an incredible group. I decided to write a music recommendation article for their 4th anniversary because it is an important milestone that marks a new chapter for them.

#1 Fukyouwaon

Read the lyrics here

Fukyouwaon (Discord) is their 4th single, and it was released on April 5, 2017. This song is special in many ways in the sense that it has both good and bad aspects to it. Fukyouwaon was the first song I heard from them, and it blew me away with how good and aggressive the song was, with how the lyrics hit me so hard at the time and still now. They would brand you as a traitor for disagreeing, and your friends would betray you because of it, even though you never imagined they would do that. It carries a message telling people to be true to themselves, do not obey, speak up, fight and yell, "I won't do it" for your "own sense of justice."

"Even if they hate me for it
I live by my own style of justice
I don’t care if they hit me for it
To give in is no different than dying
If you want to rule me
You better start by overthrowing me!"

The song is intense, dark, chaotic and has a little hope in the bridge that portrayed really well with the lyrics. I like how they used Spanish guitar and EDM in order to keeps the track interesting while also gives it a fresh sound and replay value. The breakdown part following the bridge is also amazing. The way they give it all every time they perform this and the way Hirate Yurina yell "Boku wa yada" always gives me chill, this is one of their best songs when it comes to live stages.

#2 Eccentric

Read the lyrics here

Eccentric is Fukyouwaon single's b-side, and this is no doubt my most favourite b-side from them. Some of you might have heard about this song because it sort of went viral with its weird choreography. To be honest, I cracked up when I first saw the dance too but it helped in executing the song very well. How people reacted to it was gold because it showed the point of the song so clearly. It has a very positive but also very deep message, telling you to accept your quirks, don't change your colours to fit in because it will take freedom away from you. It also indicates painful reality and social problems with lyrics like "It’s the type of rumour that has no originator. The fewer facts there are, the faster it spreads" or "They offer up opinions without knowing the person. And a different version of me starts existing", and my most favourite part:

"The world is overflowing with lies and deceit
“There is no fish that swim in clear river”
Someone says with a confident look
But if the river is dirty as that
There’s no way I would swim in it"

Everything about this song is very subtle from the amazing piano line to the key change. The piano is the most important texture to the song as it creates the epic transition to the final chorus but other instruments are also indispensable. The jazzy pseudo-rap also gives it some interesting feelings.

#3 Futari Saison

Read the lyrics here

Futari Saison is their 3rd single, and it was released on November 30, 2016. This and Fukyouwaon hold a special place in my heart. It was my absolute favourite song from them before and now it hit differently every time I listen to it. This song is about the moment when we couldn't go back and it is quite true for Keyakizaka46. This is probably their best era, the last era which is full of happiness. Everything was so perfect at the time before it slowly took a turn that almost no one would think of, and everyone wished they could go back to it, but sadly every party has to end at some point. For Keyakizaka46, I think it was a pity that one of their very first chapters ended a bit too soon.

"A farewell in the fall and winter
The seasons we spent together,
do you not regret them?"

It is a good winter ballad, even though this isn’t really a ballad but more like a half-ballad. This song is just so warm and beautiful, and it will warm you up when the weather is getting cold. The strings are absolutely beautiful and it plays a major part in executing the song.

#4 Abunakkashii Keikaku
Read the lyrics here

Abunakkashii Keikaku (A Dangerous Plan)
is a song from Keyakizaka46's 1st album Masshirona Mono wa Yogoshitaku Naru. It is about the inner feelings of a girl who is bound within the norm of society. On the surface, adults-only glide at her with the comment "Maturity," "Decent," and "Obedient," but the inner soul of her that no one never understood is the enthusiasm of youth. You might think she is two-faced and fake but try to understand her feelings, as it is simply just the desire to have fun with friends and the curiosity to imitate an adult of a lovely and pure teenager going through puberty.

"‘What an obedient kid’
Although people call me that
I can’t be that easy to understand?
My real character is hidden by my outward appearance
Wait till you see what kind of girl someone like me actually is"

The song brings a joyful and exciting atmosphere. It is catchy and fits really well with the theme and the lyrics. If Fukyouwaon makes you goosebump with its aggressive sounds then this song will make you really hype, carefree, and only want to jump crazy at their concert but both will make you go crazy anyway.

#5 Hiraishin

Read the lyrics here

Hiraishin
(Lightning rod) is a b-side of their 5th Single, Kaze ni Fukarete mo, which was released on October 25, 2017. In my opinion, this song is about Hirate Yurina and the messages from the other members to her after the summer tour, and whatever happened in that summer tour really made everything go downhill. The whole tone of the video goes along so well with the kind of depressive-sounding song that this is shown to be. They really show their darkest side here. The lyrics as always also contain words that are a bit negative and needless. The main character of the previous stories in their songs is also Hirate Yurina, but the biggest difference this time is the character "you" with the negative as in the previous songs has a character "I" always on the side to protect them.

"To protect such clumsiness
I can only become its shield
If you get hurt by the common sense in this world
I’ll enter the flames for you instead
I’ll always stand by your side
As a lightning rod that keeps you from malice"

Hiraishin has the same vibe as Eccentric hence it becomes my second favourite B-Side from them. The piano doesn't play a huge part in the song this time but the bass and the strings that manage to create a darker and sadder vibe for it compared to Eccentric and the rap also much faster this time that creates some sort of tension to it.

keyakizaka46-silent-majority.jpg

#6 Student Dance

Read the lyrics here

Student Dance
is a b-side song of their 7th Single, Ambivalent, that was released on August 15, 2018. I didn't like this song at first but it grew on me so much that I simply couldn't stop listening to. However, I guess the lyrics of this song might not be for someone who is under the age of 18, I had no idea what it is about at first but someone pointed out that it is about students sneaking into school to have s*x so that their parents wouldn't find out. I like the breakdance part the most, the guitar riff is very nice and a headbanger worthy. Some might find this song weird at first but it is a grower so give it some chance to grow on you. Also, the live stage for this in their Tokyo Dome concert is top-notch and I'd recommend everyone reading this to give it a chance if you have the time.

"Now begins the Student Dance
We won’t be found out in this secret place
Come on! Come on! Come on! Boys
Oh oh oh! Party time
We wear the same uniform in this Student Dance
Looking like an inflammable dangerous case
Hurry hurry hurry up
Oh oh oh! Fall in love!"

#7 Mou Mori E Kaerou Ka?

Read the lyrics here

Mou Mori E Kaerou Ka? (Shall We Return to the Forest?) is a coupling song from Keyakizaka46's 6th Single, Glass wo Ware!, that was released on March 7, 2018. In my opinion, the song is the worldview of Keyakizaka46. At first, they were just like other idols, dreaming about a great "city". However, the more they lived here, the more they realized that this "city" - the entertainment world - is not as perfect as they thought it would be. It is full of prejudice, imposition, and turns them into pre-programmed robots. Instead of living in that "polluted" place, they "go back to the forest" - the way that few people choose - to find "the sun" - their ideals - and go their own way.

"I want to go back to that forest
I realized how far away from it we are
The world we always believed in
Turned out to be a fake
Hiding the truth (the truth)
From each other (each other)
For what reason (are we crying?)
I’m just so sorry (in sadness)"

Electro sounds or EDM mixed with some strings and I think it did a good job in creating a mysterious and utopian feeling. It is a dance-pop track despite carrying a heavy message with it but their vocals add in some depressive feeling to make it somewhat in the middle. Not too light and poppy but not too heavy and dark either.

#8 Silent Majority

Read the lyrics here

Keyakizaka46
is a unique and amazed group with the centre was a 15-year-old girl but had made a huge breakthrough with their debut single, Silent Majority, which could be considered as one of the biggest debut songs in J-pop history. The song is a piece of advice that we must raise our voice as this is our life, our future, and we should not let the right to choose or make a decision fall into the hands of others. We must know when to say "no"; do not be quiet, do not blindly follow and accept the thoughts of others because eventually, we will no longer have our own voice.

"You have the freedom to live as you are
Don’t be controlled by the adults
If from the start, yes, we’ve already given up
Then what’s the point of us being born?
Dreaming will sometimes make you lonely
As you progress down an empty road
This world won’t begin by behaving like a flock
Is “Yes” really ok?
Silent Majority"

The song has a distinctly Latin sound to the rhythmic guitar riffs and piano chords mixed with some EDM. It also has some strings and clapping Spanish flamenco that inspired the catchy chorus. Personally, this is not my favourite song from them but it covers a huge part of their career and is a meaningful song to them so I think it's a must to check song.

#9 Kuroi Hitsuji

Read the lyrics here

Last but not least, this is their latest single, Kuroi Hitsuji (Black Sheep), which was released on February 27, 2019. If Silent Majority is the start of that chapter of their journey then this is the ending of it. You can read my review of it here

"You who throw away your own reality
And pretend to be white sheep
Will you point and laugh when you see a black sheep?
If that’s the case one day I’ll
Even so one day I’ll
In this place, I’ll stand out"

gt6rRQk.png

Keyakizaka46 is an amazing and unique idol group that stands out brightly in an idol market which has been slowed down in recent years. I found out about them during one of my toughest times and they supported me a lot. I always find myself relating to their music, lyrics and it actually helped me a lot. Thank you for being in the same timeline with me, for being you and for everything! I know their next chapter will not be easy but I have faith that they can overcome it and rise again stronger than ever! I hope this article will bring them closer to you, even though I suspect that their concept might be too dark for some people's taste. Thank you for reading!

PROOFREAD BY: DRAGON OF THE WEST
GRAPHICS BY: RINOA

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragon of the West

Iroh VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭797,050
This was a really well-written article Yuki! It also helped me discover a bit more about Keyaki while I was reading through it and now I have a few songs on my Japanese playlist like Fukyouwaon and Kuroi Hitsuji. Good job! :hehe:

Yuki

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,137,509
thank you for this great article but why you didn't put this into that list :tears:

everything now has changed, when will we get another futari saison :weep:

I put it as 8 before but I couldn't bring myself to write anything about it, so I have to cut it out to keep the balance.
:tears:

Yuki

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,137,509
This was a really well-written article Yuki! It also helped me discover a bit more about Keyaki while I was reading through it and now I have a few songs on my Japanese playlist like Fukyouwaon and Kuroi Hitsuji. Good job! :hehe:
Thank you for your hard work as well! You did great!
Also taste
:LovePar:

S

Some

Fukyouwaon,Eccentric,Hiraishin,Mou Mori E Kaerou Ka,Kuroi Hitsuji .... taste <3 . Eccentric made me realize yup i love this group it's my favorite keyaki song glass wo warae & kuroi hitsuji are a close second 💚💚 if ya'll don't mind me sharing my favorites too i would personally recommend the songs mentioned & kataru nara mirai wo , getsuyobi no asa skirt wo kirareta , AM1/27, jibun no hitsugi , Taiyou wa miageru hito wo erabanai & glass wo warae like i mentioned above . I have many more but those are the ones i listen to the most the othe others i listen to in a specicif time/mood or not that much some of them are included here & some are not.Keyaki is just that great ! They are such an amazing group music wise concept wise & member wise give them a chance if you find time to . Thanks @Yuki for the fantastic article .

Top Bottom