sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
MUSIC RECOMMENDATIONS: OPM THROUGH THE YEARS
Written by: meltrosz

opm_op_2.png

"A never before seen article on H+! An introduction to the beautiful world of Filipino music. Bless your ears as you listen to the evolution of OPM throughout the years!"

Hello, Hallyu+ users! Thank you for visiting this article. I am proud to introduce you to the wonderful world of Original Pilipino Music (OPM), the music of the Philippines. To help you ease into the genre without getting intimidated by the language, I selected twelve songs in English to feature in this article. If you wish to listen to other songs by the artists, you may click on the links provided in the text. And so, without further ado, it's time to listen to some Filipino songs and I hope you'll like them!

#1: APO HIKING SOCIETY - WHEN I MET YOU (1983)
The APO Hiking Society is a pop trio and one of the most influential artists in OPM. The group has released 27 albums in the four decades of its career, and two hugely successful tribute albums were released by its management group. Their biggest hits include "Anna", "Show Me A Smile", "Pumapatak Ang Ulan (The Rain is Dripping)", "Mahirap Magmahal Ng Syota Ng Iba (It's Difficult To Love Someone Else's Lover)", "Nakapagtataka (Wondering)", "Kumot At Unan (Blanket And Pillow)", "Paano? (How?)", "Ewan (I Don't Know)", "Batang-Bata Ka Pa (You're Still Too Young)", "Tuyo Nang Damdamin (Dried Feelings)", and many more. The group is known for its original compositions, witty lyrics, and most of all, their beautiful harmonizations. Although "When I Met You" is not their first successful English song, it is undoubtedly the most popular one. It has been covered by many famous artists like Juris, KC Concepcion, Martin Nieverra, Sarah Geronimo, and many others. Although these artists are all better vocalists than the APO Hiking Society, they cannot capture the magic that the group does with their songs. What sets apart the group's version from the rest for me are their heavenly harmonizations, which sound like angels singing together. The harmonies are so perfect that their voices blend into one, no one tries to stand in the spotlight and no one tries to fade out into the background.

There I was an empty piece of a shell
Just mindin' my own world
Without even knowin' what love and life were all about

Then you came
You brought me out of the shell
You gave the world to me
And before I knew
There I was so in love with you

You gave me a reason for my being
And I love what I'm feelin'
You gave me a meaning to my life
Yes, I've gone beyond existing
And it all began when I met you

I love the touch of your hair
And when I look in your eyes
I just know, I know I'm on to something good

And I'm sure, my love for you will endure
Your love will light up my world
And take all my cares away with the aching part of me

You taught me how to love
You showed me how tomorrow and today
My life is diff'rent from the yesterday
And you, you taught me how to love
And darling, I will always cherish you
Today, tomorrow and forever

And I'm sure when evening comes around
I know, we'll be making love like never before
My love, who could ask for more?

When I met you

When I met you

xcxcxcxc.png

#2: ODETTE QUESADA - FRIEND OF MINE (1984)
Although she's not very popular, she is still considered a legend of OPM and many of Odette Quesada's compositions ("Till I Met You", "Friend of Mine", "Don't Know What To Do, Don't Know What To Say") are timeless classics that have been covered by various artists throughout the years. She wrote "Friend of Mine" when she was just nineteen years old, and it has been sung by the country's most popular artists like Lea Salonga and MYMP. Unlike many English OPM songs, "Friend of Mine" is about unrequited love and the "friend zone"—before it was even cool! Even though she's not a famous artist, she proves in this song that she is also a good singer. Her vocals are full of melancholia and longing as if she has resigned to her fate of being just a friend, which gives the song a lot of emotions—contrary to its more popular versions.

I've known you for so long
You are a friend of mine
But is this all we'd ever be?
I've loved you ever since
You are a friend of mine
And babe is this all we ever could be?

You tell me things I've never known
I've shown you love you've never shown
But then again, when you cry
I'm always at your side
You tell me 'bout the love you've had
I listen very eagerly
But deep inside you'll never see
This feeling of emptiness
It makes me feel sad
But then again I'm glad

I've known you all my life
You are a friend of mine
I know this is how it's gonna be
I've loved you then and I love you still
You're a friend of mine
Now, I know friends are all we ever could be

You tell me things I've never known
I've shown you love you've never shown
But then again, when you cry
I'm always at your side
You tell me 'bout the love you've had
I listen very eagerly
But deep inside you'll never see
This feeling of emptiness
It makes me feel sad
But then again
Then again
Then again I'm glad

xcxcxcxc.png

#3: INTROVOYS - LINE TO HEAVEN (1993)
During the early 90s, the most prominent Pinoy rock bands were The Hayp, AfterImage, and INTRoVOYS. Although the latter's first two singles were not popular during their releases, their third single, "However Which Way", went to No. 1 in Metro Manila in just two weeks, and became the No. 1 song in the country after a month. They released many successful singles afterwards, but their most popular song remains to be "Line To Heaven". The band wrote the song after their drummer, Paco Arespacochaga, suffered the tragic loss of his parents. If you only listen to the music and the vocals, you'd think this is a happy song about professing one's love like any other English OPM songs. However, if you listen closely to the lyrics, you'll notice that it's not even a love song—it's just a simple song about missing someone who passed away. The upbeat rhythm of the song gives the feeling that although the singer is suffering from a loss, they're not wallowing in sadness. Instead, they're keeping the positive feeling they have for the one who passed away and wish that they could give them a call.

Heaven knows I've done no wrong
I only want to sing this song to you
Why did it have to end this way
Only a fool like me could say to you that

If I ever had a line to heaven I swear
I'd call you there
I'll be there tonight

Where would I be without you now
Yet I have to make it through this life
Somehow
Only time will tell me so
Of the things I need to know
Somehow

I'd call you there
I'll be there

How do I find the answers
To all the questions I've been hiding inside
And all the fun and laughter
We've shared I'll have to set aside

I'd call you there
I'll be there

I'd call you there
I'll be there tonight

unknown.png

#4: RIVERMAYA - 214 (1994)
If you ask around who the top three rock bands of the 90s in the Philippines are, most would definitely say the Eraserheads, Rivermaya, and Parokya ni Edgar. Rivermaya has released timeless classics like "Kisapmata (Blink of an Eye)", "Awit ng Kabataan (Song of the Youth)", "Himala (Miracle)", "Hinahanap-hanap Kita (I Keep Looking For You)", and of course "214". "214" is the band's second official single, and it topped numerous charts in the Philippines when it was released. Throughout the past 25 years, there have been several theories among fans what "214" means. On December 25, 2019, the song's composer, Rico Blanco, revealed on his blog what it really meant. The songwriter originally gave it the working title "The Proposal", but one of his bandmates suggested "214", which symbolizes Valentine's Day (February 14), as a joke. Blanco realized that "214" matches the number of letters in each word of the first line "am I real", so he decided to keep the title. The song starts off with an iconic piano intro that everyone can recognize from the first few notes and a very catchy bass guitar lick. It also highlighted the band's frontman and lead vocalist Bamboo's singing that combines a rock style with a mellow approach. Everything about the song, from the soothing instrumental to the deep and romantic lyrics and heart-fluttering vocals, was perfect. It is a pop-rock ballad song that you should definitely listen to!

Am I real?
Do the words I speak before you make feel
That the love I lay for you will see no ending?
Well if you look into my eyes then you should know
That there is nothing here to doubt nothing to fear
And you can lay your questions down cause if you'll hold me
We can fade into the night and you'll know

The world would die and everything may lie
Still you shouldn't cry
'Cause time may pass
But longer than it'll last
I'll be by your side

Take my hand
And gently close your eyes so you could understand
That there's no greater love tonight than what I've for you
Well if you feel the same way for me then let go
We can journey to a garden no one knows
Life is short my darling tell me that you love me
So we can fade into the night and you'll know

The world could die and everything may lie
Still you shouldn't cry
'Cause time may pass
But longer than it'll last
I'll be by your side
Forever by your side

I want you to know
The world could lie
And everything may die
Still you shouldn't cry
'Cause time may pass
And everything won't last
I'll be by your side
Forever by your side
Forever by your side
So you won't cry

xcxcxcxc.png

#5: FRANCIS MAGALONA - KALEIDOSCOPE WORLD (1995)
Francis Magalona is widely regarded as the best and most successful Filipino rapper of all time. He is often credited as the pioneer of Pinoy hip-hop, as he was the first Filipino rapper to cross over into the mainstream. He is known for his tracks that featured politically conscious and thought-provoking rhymes such as "Mga Kababyan (Fellow Countrymen)". His tracks also addressed various cultural and social problems like drug addiction in "Mga Praning (Paranoids)", political instability in "Halalan (Elections)", and detrimental effects of colonial mentality in "Tayo'y Mga Pinoy (We Are Filipinos)". He also introduced the merging of Pinoy Rock and Rap, two genres that were trying to outdo each other during that era, to the Filipino music audience through tracks such as "3 Stars & A Sun", "Kabataan Para Sa Kinabukasan (Children for the Future", and "Kaleidoscope World". The latter was so successful that it went on to win the 1996 Awit Awards (the Filipino version of the Grammys) for "Best Produced Record of the Year" and the 1996 NU 107 Rock Awards for "Song of the Year". Unlike most songs, only the chorus is actually sung here, while the verses are mostly done in a spoken fashion. Many expect raps to be spoken very quickly, but here, Magalona "raps" in a slow and gentle way. However, what's most special about the song is the lyrics. The verses show how different each person is from one another to the point that some people live on different sides of the spectrum. Then, the chorus tells us that we all live in a metaphorical "kaleidoscope world". A kaleidoscope is composed of many images that are very different from each other, but together they form a beautiful picture. Overall, this song is very good to listen to especially during these times where we are so divided.

So many faces, so many races
Different voices, different choices
Some are mad, while others laugh
Some live alone with no better half
Others grieve while others curse
And others mourn behind a big black hearse

Some are pure and some half-bred
Some are sober and some are wasted
Some are rich because of fate and
Some are poor with no food on their plate
Some stand out while others blend
Some are fat and stout while some are thin
Some are friends and some are foes
Some have some while some have most

Every color and every hue
Is represented by me and you
Take a slide in the slope
Take a look in the kaleidoscope
Spinnin' round, make it twirl
In this kaleidoscope world

Some are great and some are few
Others lie while some tell the truth
Some say poems and some do sing
Others sing through their guitar strings
Some know it all while some act dumb

Let the bassline strum to the bang of the drum
Some can swim while some will sink
And some will find their minds and think
Others walk while others run
You can't talk peace and have a gun

Some are hurt and start to cry
Don't ask me how don't ask me why
Some are friends and some are foes
Some have some while some have most

Every color and every hue
Is represented by me and you
Take a slide in the slope
Take a look in the kaleidoscope
Spinnin' round, make it twirl
In this kaleidoscope world

xcxcxcxc.png

#6: ERASERHEADS - HARD TO BELIEVE (1997)
The Eraserheads is one of the most popular rock bands in the Philippines. They're usually dubbed as "The Beatles of the Philippines" due to their influence on later rock bands and the genre of Pinoy rock in general, as well as their songs that are loved by the masses. During the early 90s, an underground music scene was already burgeoning in some unknown bars, and the Eraserheads became the first of these bands to achieve mainstream success and opened the gates for other rock bands. Their hits continue to be sung by the masses until today like "Pare Ko (My Friend)", "Toyang", "Kailan (When)", "Ligaya (Happiness)", "Magasin (Magazine)", "Alapaap (Clouds)", "Spoliarium", "Minsan (Once)", "Torpedo", "Ang Huling El Bimbo (The Last El Bimbo)", "With A Smile", and many more. Although "With A Smile" is the band's most successful English song, I chose "Hard To Believe" to bring more recognition to this underappreciated song. It is a ballad from their fifth album, "Sticker Happy" and although it did not achieve much success, it still earned a slot in the band's compilation album "Eraserheads Anthology", which includes many of their best hits throughout their career. The song's lyrics are full of skepticism like asking if "the pain that we are feeling has some meaning", yet full of harsh reality as well like "everything you see is different from the things that you've been told". But in spite of all the pain and suffering that the singer went through, there exists a small positivity in them that still believes in one thing, their lover's love for them and that just a little bit of it could mean so much. The maturity, realism, and profoundness of the lyrics, which is rarely found in the band's most successful hits, is why I love this song and hope you will too.

I find it hard to believe
That all the pain that we are feeling
Has some meaning in this world
It's so hard to believe
When everything you see is different
From the things that you've been told

I wanted life to be this way
Just a little bit of love could mean so much
Oh please don't take it all away
But with you heaven is still close enough to touch

I find it hard to believe
That someone up there is waiting
With arms open wide and smiling
It's so hard to believe
When someone told me that your suffering
Is what you get for living

Because your love is still the only thing
That matters in this world
The only thing I can believe

It's so hard to believe
It's so hard to believe

Because your love is still the only thing
That matters in this world
The only thing I can...
Believe

unknown.png

#7: SARAH GERONIMO - FOREVER'S NOT ENOUGH (2003)
During the early 2000s, rock bands declined in popularity and solo artists started gaining popularity. Sarah Geronimo, dubbed as the "Popstar Princess", is one of the earliest solo artists that rose to prominence from this era after she won the television singing contest Star For A Night when she was 14 years old. After the contest, she debuted with an album titled "Popstar: A Dream Come True", which includes a cover of Celine Dion's "To Love You More" and one of her most iconic songs, "Forever's Not Enough". Although Geronimo was a 15-year-old girl singing about forever in this song, it was still so full of emotions and maturity that you won't believe it's a little girl singing it. The best part of the song is towards the end where she kept raising the octave to the limit, fully highlighting her vocal range and showing why she's considered one of the best belters in the country. The variation towards the end made the song much more exciting, as it makes you look forward to how high Geronimo can sing.

Other songs: "
A Very Special Love", "How Could You Say You Love Me", "Tala (Star)", "Ikot-ikot (Round And Round)"

If I would have to live my life again
I'd stay in love with you the way I've been
Your love is something no one ever can replace
I can't imagine life with someone else
I promise I will share my life with you
Forever may not be enough it's true
My heart is filled with so much love
I feel for you
No words can say how much I love you so
And if forever's not enough for me to love you
I'd spend another lifetime baby
If you ask me to
There's nothing I won't do
Forever's not enough for me to love you so
They say tomorrow seems so far away
And now we see that everything can change
My love for you gets stronger as tomorrow comes
I know this love will stand
The test of time
If you ask me to
For you, there's nothing I can't do
And never will I ever go
Forever's not enough to love you so
But if forever ends one day
I promise you I'll stay to show you
That my love for you will never end...
If you ask me to
Forever's not enough to love you so
If you ask me to

xcxcxcxc.png

#8: PAROKYA NI EDGAR - YOUR SONG (MY ONE AND ONLY YOU) (2004)
As mentioned before, Parokya ni Edgar is one of the three biggest rock bands of the 90s in the Philippines. However, most of their songs were sung in Filipino and only very few are sung in English. Their hits include "Harana (Serenade)", "Gitara (Guitar)", "This Guy's In Love With You, Pare", "Halaga (Worth)", "Inuman Na (Time To Drink)", "Para Sa'yo (For You)", "Mang Jose (Mr. Jose)", and many more. The band is popular for their original rock novelty songs and have written jingles for many advertisements. Although the official title of this song is "Your Song", it is still more popularly called "My One And Only You" by the masses. Just like many of their popular love songs such as "Harana" and "Gitara", "Your Song" is also accompanied solely by an acoustic guitar. Nevertheless, the song is still very catchy with sweet vocals and heart-fluttering lyrics. It is one of the top choices to serenade a loved one with just an acoustic guitar.

It took one look
And forever lay out in front of me
One smile, then I died
Only to be revived by you
There I was
Thought I had everything figured out
Goes to show just how much I know
'Bout the way life plays out
I take one step away
Then I find myself coming back to you
My one and only
One and only you
Ooh
Now I know
That I know not a thing at all
Except the fact that I am yours
And that you are mine
Oh
They told me that this wouldn't be easy
And no
I'm not one to complain
I take one step away
My one and only
One and only
I take one step away
My one and only
One and only you

xcxcxcxc.png

#9: CHRISTIAN BAUTISTA - THE WAY YOU LOOK AT ME (2004)
"Asia's Romantic Balladeer" Christian Bautista is one of the earliest solo artists that rose to prominence during the 2000s. He gained popularity in the singing contest Star In A Million, and although he only placed fourth in the contest, he still became one of the favorites in the show. He was able to debut with a multi-platinum self-titled album after he was eliminated from the contest, which includes his trademark song, "The Way You Look At Me". The song received frequent airplay in Indonesian radio stations and made the singer an instant hit overseas. It is a beautiful romantic ballad full of emotions, which Bautista was able to show. Although there's no belting in this song, unlike many of the popular songs during this time, it remains to be one of the most popular songs of that era due to the romantic lyrics, beautiful piano instrumental, and Bautista's serenading vocals. You will definitely fall in love with this song as well!

Other Songs: "
Colour Everywhere", "Ngiti (Smile)", "Please Be Careful With My Heart", "Fixing A Broken Heart"

No one ever saw me like you do
All the things that I could add up to
I never knew just what a smile was worth
But your eyes say everything without a single word
'Cause there's somethin' in the way you look at me
It's as if my heart knows you're the missing piece
You made me believe that there's nothing in this world I can't be
I never know what you see
But there's somethin' in the way you look at me
If I could freeze some moment in my mind
Be the second that you touch your lips to mine
I'd like to stop the clock, make time stand still
'Cause, baby, this is just the way I always want to feel
I don't know how or why I feel different in your eyes
All I know is it happens every time
CODA
The way you look at me

unknown.png

#10:CUESHE - BORROWED TIME (2006)
During the mid-2000s, Pinoy rock bands found mainstream success once again, albeit most of their music leaned more towards pop sensibilities. Bands during this era include Sponge Cola, Hale, Callalily, and of course Cueshé. Cueshé is most popular for the songs "Ulan (Rain)" and "Stay". Although the latter is their more popular English track, I chose to feature "Borrowed Time" because I am a big fan of ballads and I think this song deserves more appreciation. The song is very sad and full of longing. It's about a relationship that you know won't last. The lyrics suggest that it's because someone is going far away. But, in my opinion, it's about a loved one who's dying, evident by the angelic oohs. The vocals and instrumental were also able to express the intense sadness, regret, and even anger.

Every fight needs mending
Every start has an end
Like the sunrise and the sunset
That's just how it is

Love on borrowed time
Will never be yours nor mine
I need you like you need me
The way we ought to be

Oh, it's good to be true,
If our hopes and dreams come true
Wish that I had more
Of this borrowed time
If only it would last a lifetime.

This bitterness inside
Is an empty space I hide
It never satisfies
Living my life in a lie

Love on borrowed time
Will never be yours nor mine
I'll just close my eyes
And it will be alright

Wish that I had more
Of this borrowed time

Now that you've gone away
You seem so close
But you're miles and miles away

Wish that I had more
Of this borrowed time
If only it would last.

Wish that I had more
Of this borrowed time
If only it would last.

Wish that I had more
Of this borrowed time

xcxcxcxc.png

#11: JURIS - YOUR LOVE (2016)
Juris is best known as the lead singer of the acoustic group MYMP (which means "Make Your Momma Proud") from 2003 to 2009. Many of the group's best hits like "Tell Me Where It Hurts", "Only Reminds Me Of You", "Set You Free", "Especially For You", and many more were released while Juris was in the group. After she left the group, she also had a successful solo career. She sang many popular soundtracks, one of which is "Your Love", which was used in the 2016 television series "Dolce Amore". The song was originally released by the Filipino rock band Alamid. Juris gave the song a completely new twist compared to the original version. Her vocals in the song were very sweet and mellow without straining, which made it very pleasant to listen to. Her talent as a singer also allowed her to explore a lot of range and techniques in the song to make it very dynamic and exciting. Overall, it's like listening to a pure and innocent person in love. Personally, I even prefer her version over the original, which shows how she was able to make the song hers and make it even better.

You're the one that never lets me sleep
To my mind, down to my soul you touch my lips
You're the one that I can't wait to see
With you here by my side I'm in ecstasy
I am all alone without you
My days are dark without a glimpse of you
But now that you came into my life
I feel complete
The flowers bloom, my morning shines
And I can see
Your love is like the sun
That lights up my whole world
I feel the warmth inside
Your love is like the river
That flows down through my veins
I feel the chill inside
Every time I hear our music play
Reminds me of the things that we've been through
In my mind I can't believe it's true
But in my heart the reality is you
I am all alone without you
My days are dark without a glimpse of you
But now that you came into my life
I feel complete
The flowers bloom, my morning shines
And I can see
Your love is like the sun
That lights up my whole world
I feel the warmth inside
I feel the chill inside
Your Love
Your Love
Your Love
Your Love
I feel the chill inside

xcxcxcxc.png

#12: BEN&BEN - MAYBE THE NIGHT (2017)
Ben&Ben is an indie folk/folk pop band who rose to prominence in 2018 after releasing songs for movies and is now one of the biggest artists in the Philippines. They released hits such as "Masyado Pang Maaga (It's Still Too Early)", "Leaves", "Kathang Isip (Imagination)", "Ride Home", and "Maybe The Night". The latter catapulted them to success when it was released as the soundtrack to the 2018 romantic drama film "Exes Baggage". The song is one of the few English OPM songs released recently that was able to become popular. From the verses to the chorus, everything is very catchy and pleasant to listen to. The instrumentals were also very beautiful to the ears. It definitely deserves all the success it received and continues to receive to this day.

I want to lay down by the fire with you
Where souls are glowing, ever warmer too
Your love surrounds me like a lullaby
Singing softly, you are mine oh mine
Moon has never glowed this color
Hearts have never been this close
I've never been more certain
I will love you 'til we're old
Maybe the night holds a little hope for us, dear
Maybe we might want to settle down, just be near
Stay together here
We follow the pull of fate, into this moment
We follow the pull of fate, into this moment
Moon has never glowed this color
Hearts have never been this close
I've never been more certain
I will love you 'til we're old
Stay together
Stay together
Stay together here

unknown.png

So, what are your thoughts on this selection? As you may have noticed, many of the songs are ballads and/or love songs, which is actually a common theme in English OPM songs, but I tried to make it as diverse as possible so that you'll find at least one you'll like!

Thank you for reading!

YouTube Playlist

unknown.png

Last edited:

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
Wow, I had no idea that Eraserheads was Filipino?!
TIL
They have some great music!
Might listen to the other recs later when I have the time
I'm glad you know them :omgwhat: they're my favorite Filipino artist/band and yeah they have a very great discography
I don't realize that the way you looking at me already released 15 years ago, and the only rivermaya song i know is you'll be safe here :hehe:
time passed by so quickly :sejeongcry: the way you look at me is still fresh in my memory and a classic bop. you'll be safe here is also a classic! rivermaya is a very good band

miatheikonic

✶ Zactheik💍nic ✶ VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭200
Introvoys hit too close home, I mayhaps teared up :sejeongcry:

Thank you for these recs, you know how Mia is like with ballads, so these are already on playlist :heartublob:

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600
i really liked these:
i love APO HIKING SOCIETY - WHEN I MET YOU, the vibe is really nice
RIVERMAYA - 214
i remember FRANCIS MAGALONA - KALEIDOSCOPE WORLD from you r short series some months ago, it's pretty good. the lyrics are great too
SARAH GERONIMO - FOREVER'S NOT ENOUGH - it just tickles my fancy
CHRISTIAN BAUTISTA - THE WAY YOU LOOK AT ME
BEN&BEN - MAYBE THE NIGHT

overall enjoyed the playlist tho!

Top Bottom