BREAKING NEWS Nemoto Nagi to graduate from Dempagumi.inc and Niji no Conquistador in April

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789

Nemoto Nagi announced that she will be graduating from Dempagumi.inc and Niji no Conquistador in April of this year. She has been on hiatus for health reasons since the end of October.

She says in her statement that she thought that she was only ever capable of being an idol for the last 7 years, but once she went on a break, she realized that she wanted to try doing more. She aspires to be an illustrator and costume designer and hints that she may sing again in the future, after saying that she doesn't feel like she has been able to sing in her own voice as an idol. She will stay with DearStage as an agency.

She will graduate from Niji no Conquistador as of their Budokan concerts on April 16 & 17, and she will graduate from Dempagumi.inc as of April 30, during their Zepp tour. In both groups, her health is still limiting her performance abilities, so her participation in any concerts is not guaranteed.

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,483,925

Nemoto Nagi announced that she will be graduating from Dempagumi.inc and Niji no Conquistador in April of this year. She has been on hiatus for health reasons since the end of October.

She says in her statement that she thought that she was only ever capable of being an idol for the last 7 years, but once she went on a break, she realized that she wanted to try doing more. She aspires to be an illustrator and costume designer and hints that she may sing again in the future, after saying that she doesn't feel like she has been able to sing in her own voice as an idol. She will stay with DearStage as an agency.

She will graduate from Niji no Conquistador as of their Budokan concerts on April 16 & 17, and she will graduate from Dempagumi.inc as of April 30, during their Zepp tour. In both groups, her health is still limiting her performance abilities, so her participation in any concerts is not guaranteed.

that sucks, i wouldn't call myself a Dearstage fan but i really like Nagi (along Pero and MEME TOKYO)

although i can't say i'm surprised, she had a crazy schedule, she was part of Dempagumi, NemoPero, Niji no Conquistador, just being part of a single group is a full time job never mind 3, all the time one would need to spend training, rehearsing, recording, etc that plus her modelling jobs, Youtube channel, etc sounds tough

probably just a coincide but Karin Matoba (also a member of Niji no Conquistador) announced her graduation from the group at the same time as Nagi

It's sad that she can't continue in the groups but it is for her best and I'm glad she's found something she wants to do and that she can continue in Dearstage and work with their acts.

pretty cool that she is staying in her company, i think there is no better place for her to start her new career than here, even if she isn't part of her groups anymore she is going to get a chance to still be involve with them

I found this translation of her tweet:

there no mention on the announcement but i guess that also means that nemopero is disbanding

seems Kaname Rin knew about her graduation since a while ago, iirc they are pretty close with each other

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
probably just a coincide but Karin Matoba (also a member of Niji no Conquistador) announced her graduation from the group at the same time as Nagi

pretty cool that she is staying in her company, i think there is no better place for her to start her new career than here, even if she isn't part of her groups anymore she is going to get a chance to still be involve with them

there no mention on the announcement but i guess that also means that nemopero is disbanding

seems Kaname Rin knew about her graduation since a while ago, iirc they are pretty close with each other

They probably decided to announce the news at the same time. It's better for the fans than getting staggered announcements.
I don't know why Karin is graduating (I checked her announcement and it is very unclear) but it seems fitting to do it at a grand stage like the Budokan.

Nemopero seem very close. I think Nemopero activities is the main thing Nemo is talking about when she says she would want to sing again in the future.

On a related subject, Dear Stage has to reconsider their habit of putting idols in multiple groups.

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
Nemopero seem very close. I think Nemopero activities is the main thing Nemo is talking about when she says she would want to sing again in the future.

On a related subject, Dear Stage has to reconsider their habit of putting idols in multiple groups.

Nemo mentioned in her statement that she never felt like she was able to sing as Nemoto Nagi, and knowing the style of music NemoPero do versus what she did for her solo song on the last album, I think NemoPero is very much outside of what she wants to do. They are close, but they are two extremely different personalities, and if she doesn't want to continue being an idol, standing next to *the* idol doing *the* idol music probably isn't in the cards for her.

As for the concurrencies, I trust that management is always checking in with the members to make sure their workload is within their abilities, and at this point, there are only 2 members in more than one group (not including subunits). This is largely conjecture on my part, but I think the real issue that broke Nemo was all the gravure work, particularly the work with Pero. In the months leading up to her hiatus, she lost a significant amount of weight and her TL became more and more obsessed with what she was eating and losing more weight. Japan's diet culture in general is more or less just disordered eating, but when an idol decides that the only thing she wants to post is pictures of boiled chicken every other day, that's when you know there's a real problem, and that's pretty much where she was. Considering she had been an idol for several years and this had not been an issue before, to the best of my knowledge, I suspect that the increased gravure workload and constantly comparing herself to Pero led her to increasingly unhealthy choices. We know that she has struggled with mental illness in the past, so I don't think it's completely untoward to suggest that this was a significant factor in her overall decline.

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
Nemo mentioned in her statement that she never felt like she was able to sing as Nemoto Nagi, and knowing the style of music NemoPero do versus what she did for her solo song on the last album, I think NemoPero is very much outside of what she wants to do. They are close, but they are two extremely different personalities, and if she doesn't want to continue being an idol, standing next to *the* idol doing *the* idol music probably isn't in the cards for her.

As for the concurrencies, I trust that management is always checking in with the members to make sure their workload is within their abilities, and at this point, there are only 2 members in more than one group (not including subunits). This is largely conjecture on my part, but I think the real issue that broke Nemo was all the gravure work, particularly the work with Pero. In the months leading up to her hiatus, she lost a significant amount of weight and her TL became more and more obsessed with what she was eating and losing more weight. Japan's diet culture in general is more or less just disordered eating, but when an idol decides that the only thing she wants to post is pictures of boiled chicken every other day, that's when you know there's a real problem, and that's pretty much where she was. Considering she had been an idol for several years and this had not been an issue before, to the best of my knowledge, I suspect that the increased gravure workload and constantly comparing herself to Pero led her to increasingly unhealthy choices. We know that she has struggled with mental illness in the past, so I don't think it's completely untoward to suggest that this was a significant factor in her overall decline.
That makes sense, I missed that.

I was surprised how thin Nemo was in some of the pictures she posted last year because I never had that image of her. Her face looked thinner too. If she was comparing her body shape to Pero's it was never going to end well. Pero seems naturally thin and she is significantly taller, so Pero would always look thinner even with as much fat or more. If it is the case that she had body image issues and a sort of inferiority complex I hope she'll overcome it now that she is and will be outside of public scrutiny.

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
I was surprised how thin Nemo was in some of the pictures she posted last year because I never had that image of her. Her face looked thinner too. If she was comparing her body shape to Pero's it was never going to end well. Pero seems naturally thin and she is significantly taller, so Pero would always look thinner even with as much fat or more. If it is the case that she had body image issues and a sort of inferiority complex I hope she'll overcome it now that she is and will be outside of public scrutiny.

Yeah, Japan also has that hang-up where people with round faces will always be treated as fatter than their peers and Nemo falls into that, as well. Pero was definitely also affected by the gravure, because she went from not really caring about her figure or curves to suddenly going to a lot of breast massages and wearing a lot more padding once they started doing the duo shoots, so I think to some extent they were both comparing themselves and looking at what they felt they didn't have. Pero doesn't have the same mental health issues so she seems fine, but it's noticeable that they both changed a lot over the last year. Pinky mentioned in her tweets after the announcement that she wants Nemo to eat well so it's possible she noticed the change, also (but again, might just be me reading into it).

My partner is a Nemo oshi so he's hurting a bit, but we both agree that this is for the best, especially if she still says somewhat in the public eye.

Stan BiSH

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,483,925
They probably decided to announce the news at the same time. It's better for the fans than getting staggered announcements.
I don't know why Karin is graduating (I checked her announcement and it is very unclear) but it seems fitting to do it at a grand stage like the Budokan.

i guess that makes sense

and it seems Karin Matoba is not only graduating but also quitting the entertainment business
i recall hearing that Dearstage doesn't holds auditions for new members, instead they recruit them from their restaurant / cafe or by sending them DMs in Twitter (which doesn't seems to be a very reliable way of getting people to join...)

maybe they should change that and that way not overwork their members just because they are low in personal

I think the real issue that broke Nemo was all the gravure work, particularly the work with Pero. In the months leading up to her hiatus, she lost a significant amount of weight and her TL became more and more obsessed with what she was eating and losing more weight. Japan's diet culture in general is more or less just disordered eating, but when an idol decides that the only thing she wants to post is pictures of boiled chicken every other day, that's when you know there's a real problem, and that's pretty much where she was. Considering she had been an idol for several years and this had not been an issue before, to the best of my knowledge, I suspect that the increased gravure workload and constantly comparing herself to Pero led her to increasingly unhealthy choices. We know that she has struggled with mental illness in the past, so I don't think it's completely untoward to suggest that this was a significant factor in her overall decline.
NeroPero was very heavy on fanservice, an unit which main selling point was how attractive both members are was always going to descend to people making comparisons between the two so i also believe that was a factor

but it isn't just Nagi, it seems to be a problem affecting the whole company since several of the girls are on strict self imposed diets

i believe the most extreme example is Marina Kumamoto

large_main_kumamoto.jpg

i said extreme because in some of her more recent pictures you can tell she is suffering from muscle atrophy in her arms and legs from lack of proper nutrition

EtOQVkGUYAAyqTz

EllQ5WvU4AEoj6b

some sites have been praising her for being so thin, which should tell you that the problem is also the media

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
but it isn't just Nagi, it seems to be a problem affecting the whole company since several of the girls are on strict self imposed diets

large_main_kumamoto.jpg

i said extreme because in some of her more recent pictures you can tell she is suffering from muscle atrophy in her arms and legs from lack of proper nutrition

EtOQVkGUYAAyqTz

EllQ5WvU4AEoj6b

some sites have been praising her for being so thin, which should tell you that the problem is also the media

Unfortunately, this is a problem that affects all idols, in all companies, because Japan has a very big problem when it comes to weight. Thinness is an attribute that Japanese people consider to be an inherent trait of the Yamato race, and so to be a good, attractive Japanese person, you must be thin and delicate. The society fixates on it, to the extent that people regularly measure and compare their body fat percentage and uphold those with the lowest (despite any medical organization, including in Japan, telling you that single digit body fat percentages are dangerous). Virtually everyone there yo-yo diets, eating virtually no calories when they're in diet mode and excluding things like meat or fruit and generally malnourishing themselves. If that all sounds like a nationwide eating disorder, it's because it is.

That societal emphasis on weight is why managers don't seem to intervene when idols do this to themselves, and it's why fans and the media won't say anything negative about the weight loss until there's a bad angle in a photo. The only time I recall wota starting to grow concerned about an idol's weight loss was Ogata Haruna in Morning Musume, who was filmed from behind for a TV show and her spine was visible. Up until that point, no one seemed to care. Other former idols opened up at various points about the starvation diets they would go on or the pressure they felt to fit a certain size (that part is most explicitly a 48G problem since they all shared costumes, but still). So it's incredibly frustrating as an international fan to watch it happen because we know it's unhealthy, we know it's dangerous, but it doesn't seem like anyone actually around the idol sees it. I would almost rather an idol graduate than see them do this so if this is what needs to be done for Nemo to get back to a healthy body and mind, that's fine by me.

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
To lighten the mood a little, if Nemo does not participate in Dempa's single release in March, this will be her last MV as an idol. Welp.

Ryujin did, in all seriousness, write her a very nice message on Twitter after her announcement.

Wobblewobble

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭600
i guess that makes sense

and it seems Karin Matoba is not only graduating but also quitting the entertainment business

i recall hearing that Dearstage doesn't holds auditions for new members, instead they recruit them from their restaurant / cafe or by sending them DMs in Twitter (which doesn't seems to be a very reliable way of getting people to join...)

maybe they should change that and that way not overwork their members just because they are low in personal

NeroPero was very heavy on fanservice, an unit which main selling point was how attractive both members are was always going to descend to people making comparisons between the two so i also believe that was a factor

large_main_kumamoto.jpg

EtOQVkGUYAAyqTz

EllQ5WvU4AEoj6b

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
It has been confirmed that Nemo will participate in the NijiCon Budokan concerts for her graduation.

She had previously stated that she would not be joining Dempa on their concert tour, so it seems unlikely that she will make a final appearance with that group before her formal graduation date. I will update the thread should that change, however.

Stan BiSH

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,483,925
Nagi is going to debut as a Vtuber version of herself

also lately she has been posting selfies almost daily, that's nice!

Last edited:
Top Bottom