Official Basketball Thread ~

Alke

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭0
Yeah. the IT trade was scummy too because of all he did and represented. I did not fault him at all for being upset for so long after it. Still am glad that seemingly he has calmed down about it. Boston still loves him a lot from what I've seen.

Definitely the biggest names aren't available. AD already traded and looking like Kawhi will resign a huge deal with Toronto. Maybe we can land KD but he is out for the entire of next season and we don't know if he will be the same after coming back too. Not to mention that would be a bad sign for Tatum's future. It is real bad timing to lose Kyrie and Horford. Another reason why I didn't like the trade. I looked at Horford age and contract and this exact scenario was my biggest fear. No title, both walk and you are left with lesser options for the future. Maybe if Hayward hadn't gotten hurt things would be different, but no use dwelling over that.

Looking at the free agents there are guys still out there that could help at big holes, but none are superstars that would carry the team. So you are basically putting all your eggs on Tatum and Brown to step up into star roles. I would be down with that because I think your future depends on those guys, but that would be risky cause if they fail you are looking into tanking territory when their contracts end. Unless another crazy gm wants to give up all their assets for failed nº3 overall former picks.

I personally wouldn't call Ainge a good GM. Up until now I would say he is ok at best. He has a good eye for talent but often mishandles team building imo. We have not had a good center in ages, our bench is always awful. The last good bench we had was the championship one imo. He also does a good job trading for assets but gives up guys whose value goes beyond stats and numbers as I said before. He finds the crazy person wanting to do a crazy trade and takes advantage of that guy but we imo always end up with a lesser team.

This offseason is huge imo. Depending on what he does here we can see 3 years of losing before the Eastern Championship or being relevant every year for it like the Patriots. Not saying we have to always make it to the Finals or the Championship but at least not get destroyed like we did against the bucks. If they lose in the second round again but at least keep it competitive I'll be happy.

It would be nice to keep Morris, but I don't know how much he wants. He was one of the few good things last season imo but he is not worth that much. Kemba Walker would be a good addition. He would be expensive and I would like a point that passes more but we need scorers too and he is a good one. I have no idea what the Klay Thompson situation is but I doubt we will have a shot. He is probably gonna want a max contract and I don't know if we do that. HE is good but I don't know how good without Curry.

People have been talking about D'angelo Russel, and he would be a nice addition in a position of need, but he is restricted and I don't know what it would take to get him. Same with Malcolm Brogdon but I like Russel better.

We definitely need a center and there are some decent ones out there. I know the league is going small ball but I still think you need a true center. Our low post game has been so weak for so long and our rebounding has been lacking imo.

Ideally we resign Morris, pick up a good C and a scoring PG. If at least one of the rookies becomes a good bench option and you pick up a couple guys to be bench guys I think it is a pretty solid team that can compete. If Tatum, Hayward and Brown improve that is. Mainly Hayward and Brown. Hayward flashed in a few games last season that he could go back to his pre-injury self but consistency is huge. Brown also flashed his talent in some games but way more lows that highs imo.

I want no part of Rozier. 2 seasons ago he gave me hope being a great bench guy, but last season his performance and specially his atitude and post season interview completely turned me around. Otherwise the guys that are currently signed to be on the bench give me no confidence at all. I still think Smart for as hard as he plays is like playing with a man down on offense and that is too much. If they think of him as the starter for the season I'll be extremely upset. Yes defense is important but scoring is more. Specially when you are not great at rebounding. What use is it forcing missed baskets if they have just as an easy time defending you because one of your players can't shoot.
Eh, the ceiling of that Celtics team was really high. Everyone projected them to be 1st in the East and have 60+ wins. I think what happened to them was close to their floor and even now they aren't in awful shape. I'm actually really confident Hayward bounces back and is a very good player, he had no time before the season to get reacclimated to playing, having an offseason to train is huge, same thing happened with Paul George when he came back. He looked like trash for the few games he played the next season then came back the year after and played great again. I have a lot more hope for Brown then Tatum, Brown looked better than Tatum for a lot of last year and until I see him consistently penetrate I don't think Tatum is ever going to reach his potential. Great center would help them a lot, Vucevic would be a good pickup seems like he's going to cost less than expected. I personally think it would be a disaster to resign Morris, he's a black hole on offense who isn't good enough to warrant it.
Grant Williams is gonna be great for you guys guarantee it.

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
Eh, the ceiling of that Celtics team was really high. Everyone projected them to be 1st in the East and have 60+ wins. I think what happened to them was close to their floor and even now they aren't in awful shape. I'm actually really confident Hayward bounces back and is a very good player, he had no time before the season to get reacclimated to playing, having an offseason to train is huge, same thing happened with Paul George when he came back. He looked like trash for the few games he played the next season then came back the year after and played great again. I have a lot more hope for Brown then Tatum, Brown looked better than Tatum for a lot of last year and until I see him consistently penetrate I don't think Tatum is ever going to reach his potential. Great center would help them a lot, Vucevic would be a good pickup seems like he's going to cost less than expected. I personally think it would be a disaster to resign Morris, he's a black hole on offense who isn't good enough to warrant it.
Grant Williams is gonna be great for you guys guarantee it.

The expectations were definitely high but they didn't meet it at all imo. Yes they aren't in awful, but as it stands without knowing which moves they will make it is an uphill battle for the Championship game.

I'm not confident in Hayward's recovery but I am positive on it. I think there is a greater chance he returns to form than not.

I agree that Brown has more tools than Tatum, but consistency is huge specially in the playoffs. I feel like what Tatum does he does very consistently. He definitely needs to keep working on his game and adding tools to not be easily defendable. Brown has shown a higher ceiling but also a lower floor imo. They both need to keep working. I guess we just disagree on which is more important, and which is harder to pick up.

I don't think Morris was bad offensively. He isn't a star but he did fine. I am also factoring him as a bench guy not a starter. Another reason why I only want him back on the cheap, and it doesn't look like he will take a cheap contract.

From what I read he seems like the rookie most ready to contribute right away and I also think he has a good chance to help, but the jump to the NBA is always a big thing. I tend to not put my hopes on rookies unless they are top 5 picks. If we get something from any of them it's a plus but I don't think you should be building your team counting on that. At least not for this season. For the future sure, but you need insurance for now.

B

bumbers

Phoenix Suns fan here but I miss having Jerry Coleangelo as our owner. :feelsblankie:

Not a fan of Robert Sarver and what he's done for the club. They've gone down the toilet because of him, pretty much.

Pseudo

Lifetime Orbit
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,760
Toronto Raptors fan here, officially at the stage of accepting that Kawhi's gone and never truly us, but the chip will never be forgotten (the city's still basking in it, let's be real!). OG, VanVleet and Siakam gotta come through consistently next season but I'll be happy with a run in the playoffs like recently.

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
Toronto Raptors fan here, officially at the stage of accepting that Kawhi's gone and never truly us, but the chip will never be forgotten (the city's still basking in it, let's be real!). OG, VanVleet and Siakam gotta come through consistently next season but I'll be happy with a run in the playoffs like recently.
It's a shame he decided to go elsewhere but nothing can take away that championship so congrats. Also the East isn't looking particularly strong. I think you guys make it to the playoffs, question is how far you go in it. I would guess a Bucks 76ers conference finals.

Pseudo

Lifetime Orbit
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,760
It's a shame he decided to go elsewhere but nothing can take away that championship so congrats. Also the East isn't looking particularly strong. I think you guys make it to the playoffs, question is how far you go in it. I would guess a Bucks 76ers conference finals.
Cheers, mate. At one point everyone was convinced he'd re-sign or at least go to the Lakers, but if it meant he returned home to Cali I'm glad it wasn't to be with a super team. The East is defo up for grabs, and I think the Bucks will be just as impressive next year, but hopefully we can pip the 76ers for a final (assuming we actually do make the playoffs and don't meet them beforehand). Sorta funny how a month after the finals Raps and to a lesser extent GSW are already assumed goners for next season by a lot of people - don't count us out of making a good run just yet!

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
Cheers, mate. At one point everyone was convinced he'd re-sign or at least go to the Lakers, but if it meant he returned home to Cali I'm glad it wasn't to be with a super team. The East is defo up for grabs, and I think the Bucks will be just as impressive next year, but hopefully we can pip the 76ers for a final (assuming we actually do make the playoffs and don't meet them beforehand). Sorta funny how a month after the finals Raps and to a lesser extent GSW are already assumed goners for next season by a lot of people - don't count us out of making a good run just yet!

Yeah I actually also thought he was going to stay with the Raps considering how well he fit in the team and the immediate success. At least he didn't join the Lakers. Would be a shame to have to hate him like I now have to hate AD lol.

I wouldn't count either you guys or the Warriors out just yet. You guys don't have a super star but still a solid team and the front office hasn't decided to tank just yet. The 76ers and the Bucks are strong teams but I don't think they are unbeatable. The east doesn't have any behemoth like the west. Klay Thompson's injury is really tough for the Warriors, but you never know what can happen. Curry is still a beast and you don't know how the new look on almost all the west teams will work. Remember before last season started people thought the Celtics were sure to make the finals. People are very fast to make up their minds, gotta wait and see what happens.

foo

serial hopper Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭41,760
Predictions for next year's champs? I'd say the Clips. That perimeter defense scares me just thinking about it. Not to mention Kawhi, PG, and LouWill's shotmaking abilities.

demasta

Stan 46G Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,041,369
Predictions for next year's champs? I'd say the Clips. That perimeter defense scares me just thinking about it. Not to mention Kawhi, PG, and LouWill's shotmaking abilities.
I'm thinking Clippers as well

Top Bottom