sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
OPM RECOMMENDATIONS: SCHOOL & FRIENDSHIP EDITION
Written by: meltrosz

opmfriendshiprecs.png

March is the month of graduations in the Philippines, so before the month is over, here is a tribute to the friends we met along the way!

Hello guys! I am back again with my "Monthly OPM Recommendations" and this time it's for the month of March! This month represents school graduations in the Philippines, so I chose songs about studying and friendships because graduations also mean never seeing some friends again. And in times of crises, like the pandemic we are currently experiencing, there is no one else we can rely on other than our family and friends. So, this playlist is a tribute for all the friends we met along the way! I hope that with these songs you'll remember someone you haven't talked to in a long time and hit them up.

#1- Juana Cosme - 'Estudyante Blues (Student Blues)'
Theme: Student Frustrations

Translated by meltrosz

Ako ang nakikita [I'm the one they see]
Ako ang nasisisi [I'm the one they blame]
Ako ang laging may kasalanan [I'm the one who's always at fault]

Paggising sa umaga [When I wake up in the morning]
Sermon ang almusal [I get nagging for breakfast]
Bago pumasok sa eskwela [Before I go to school]

Kapag nangangatwiran [When I talk back]
Ako'y pagagalitan [I will get scolded]
'Di ko alam ang gagawin [I don't know what to do]

Ako'y sunud-sunuran [I'm subservient]
Ayaw man lang pakinggan [No one even wants to listen]
Nasasaktan ang damdamin [Hurting my feelings]

Ako'y walang kalayaan [I have no freedom]
Sunod sa utos lamang [Just following orders]

Paggaling sa eskwela [After school]
Diretso na ng bahay [Going directly home]
Wala naman akong aabutan [But there's no one there]

Wala doon si Nanay [Mother's not there]
Wala doon si Tatay [Father's not there]
Katulong ang naghihintay [Only the maid is waiting]

Tatawag ang barkada [Friends will call]
Sa kanila'y sasama [Then I'll hang out with them]
Lagot ka na naman bata ka [You're in trouble again, kid]

At 'pag nangangatwiran [And when I talk back]

Paggising sa umaga [When I wake up in the morning]
Sermon ang almusal [I get nagging for breakfast]
Bago pumasok sa eskwela [Before I go to school]

Kapag nangangatwiran [When I talk back]

Ako'y sunud-sunuran [I'm subservient]
Ayaw man lang pakinggan [No one even wants to listen]
Nasasaktan ang damdamin [Hurting my feelings]

I chose this song because it perfectly depicts a schoolkid's angst and frustrations. It was originally released and popularized by one of the country's most prolific folk singer, Freddie Aguilar, in 1988 as an original soundtrack for a movie of the same name and was covered by Juana Cosme in 2015. The song not only resonates with schoolkids but with anyone of us. There are times where we feel that everyone hates us or blames us for everything. When we come home, there's no one waiting for us. The upbeat tempo of the song, however, changes the perspective of the song from sad and lonely to anger and venting. Sometimes, we need to remember to vent and release all our frustrations to the world to make us feel even just a little bit better.

85b307c2e840139d25a0649ecb1c4da5-school-books-pile-illustration.png

#2- Eraserheads - 'Minsan (Once Upon A Time)'
Theme: True Friendship

Translated by meltrosz

Minsan sa may Kalayaan tayo'y nagkatagpuan [Once upon a time, along Kalayaan, we met up]
May mga sariling gimik at kaya-kanyang hangad sa buhay [We had our own businesses and aspirations in life]

Sa ilalim ng iisang bubong [Under one roof]
Mga sikretong ibinubulong [Secrets being whispered]
Kahit na anong mangyari [Whatever happens]
Kahit na saan ka man patungo [Wherever you are heading to]

Ngunit ngayon kay bilis maglaho ng kahapon [But now, how quick yesterday has disappeared]
Sana'y huwag kalimutan ang ating mga pinagsamahan [Please don't forget our time spent together]
At kung sakaling gipitin ay laging iisipin [And if in case you become desperate, always remember]
Na minsan tayo ay naging [That once upon a time we were]
Tunay na magkaibigan [True friends]

Minsan ay parang wala nang bukas sa buhay natin [Sometimes it's as if there's no more tomorrow in our lives]
Inuman sa magdamag na para bang tayo'y mauubusan [Drinking all night as if we're going to run out]

Sa ilalim ng bilog na buwan [Under the round moon]
Mga tiyan nati'y walang laman [Our stomachs are empty]
Ngunit kahit na walang pera [But even if we have no money]
Ang bawat gabi'y anong saya [Every night is so joyful]

Ngunit ngayon kay bilis maglaho ng kahapon [But now, how quick yesterday has disappeared]
Sana'y huwag kalimutan ang ating mga pinagsamahan [Please don't forget our time spent together]
At kung sakaling gipitin ay laging iisipin [And if in case you become desperate, always remember]
Na minsan tayo ay naging [That once upon a time we were]

Minsan ay hindi mo na alam ang nangyayari [Sometimes, you no longer know what's going on]
Kahit na anong gawin [Whatever you do]
Lahat ng bagay ay merong hangganan [All things have an end]
Dahil ngayon tayo ay nilimot ng kahapon [Because now we have been forgotten by yesterday]
Di na mapipilitang buhayin ang ating pinagsamahan [Our time spent together can no longer be revived]
Ngunit kung sakaling mapadaan baka [But if ever I'm in the neighborhood maybe]
Ikaw ay aking tawagan [I'll give you a call]
Dahil minsan tayo ay naging [Because once upon a time we were]

The second song on this list is from the legendary Filipino rock band Eraserhead's second album. The band released a lot of songs with different themes and concepts and this one is about true friendship. It tells the story of friends who were once very close and shared secrets with one another but eventually drifted apart. It is inevitable that we cannot be with our friends every minute, every second, every hour. Some we can only see every few weeks, maybe months, or even years. But in spite of how long it has been since we last saw our friends, this song teaches us that true friendship lasts a lifetime. No matter how long it has been, you can always depend on your true friends because the bond, connection, and memories are all real. No amount of time can break a true friendship.

#3- Parokya Ni Edgar - 'Buloy'
Theme: Overcoming Hardships Through Friends

Translated by meltrosz

Hoy hoy, Buloy [Hey, hey, Buloy]
Naalala mo pa ba, nung tayo'y nagsasama [Do you still remember when we were spending time together]
Naalala mo pa ba ang iyong mga sinabi [Do you still remember the words you said]
Nung ako'y may problema [When I had a problem]

Sabi mo, " Lahat ng problema'y kayang lampasan [You said, "All problems can be solved]
Basta't tayo'y nagsasama at nag-iinuman" [As long as we're together and drinking"]

Naalala mo pa ba nung ako ay ma-kickout [Do you still remember that time when I was expelled from school]
Kasi daw ako'y tanga (tanga) [Because they said I was dumb (dumb)]
Naalala mo pa ba nung ako ay napalayas [Do you still remember that time when I was chased out of the house]
Ng aking ama't ina [By my mom and dad]
Mangiyak-ngiyak na 'ko pero sabi mo ay "Ok lang yan [I was crying but you said, "That's okay]
Basta't tayo'y nagsasama at mag-iinuman" [As long as we're together and drinking"]

Kaya naman ako bilib sa iyo [That's why I respect you]
Kasi parang napakatibay mo [Because it seems you're very resilient]
Lahat ng iharang ay kaya mong daanan [Any obstacle you can overcome]
Basta't mayrong bentang alak, Diyan sa may tindahan. [As long as they're selling liquor, there at the store]

Naalala mo pa ba nung araw na nadedo [Do you still remember that day]
Ang aso mong si Morlock [When your dog Morlock died]
Naalala mo pa ba nung ika'y tumawag sa 'min [Do you still remember when you called us]
At ika'y umiiyak [And you were crying]

Tapos, pagkatapos non, kay tagal mong nawala [Then, afterwards, you disappeared for so long]
Nagulat na lang ako nung narinig ko ang balita [I was suddenly shocked when I heard the news]
Akala ko pa naman na marunong kang madala [And I thought you knew how to carry yourself]
Nalaman ko na lang na ika'y nagpakamatay na [I suddenly found out that you killed yourself]

Hoy Buloy, nasaan ka man [Hey, Buloy, wherever you are]
Siguradong kawawa ka, malamang walang alak diyan [Surely you're pitiful, most likely there's no liquor there]
Hoy Buloy, nasaan ka man [Hey, Buloy, wherever you are]
Siguradong hindi ka namin malilimutan [Surely we'll never forget about you]
Hoy Buloy, Buloy, Buloy Hoy hoy, Buloy [Hey Buloy, Buloy, Buloy. Hey hey, Buloy]
Para bang nalimot mo na [It's as if you've forgotten]
Ang iyong maga sinabi nung ikaw ay buhay pa [The words you said when you were still alive]

This song is actually one of my favorite songs from Parokya Ni Edgar. It tells the story of a fictional happy-go-lucky friend called Buloy who would always tell his friends that any problem can be overcome as long as they're together and having fun. He is the symbol of what friendship is about: cheering each other up and being there when they need you. The middle part of the song cites examples of Buloy being there for his friends, like when they got kicked out of school or their house and he made sure to distract them by having fun, or the time when Buloy went to his friends for his own problems. The song later takes a twist as Buloy, who always preached about being there for each other in times of crisis, suddenly cut himself off from his own friends. They will only later find out that he committed suicide, which shows that people who may appear to be resilient or happy are also susceptible to depression. The song promises to always remember him, his wise words, and his precious memories with his friends.

#4- Kamikazee - 'Doobidoo'
Theme: Having Fun With Friends

Translated by meltrosz

Heto na, heto na, heto na... Ahh... [Here it comes, here it comes, here it comes... Ahhh...]
Doo-bidoo-bi-doo, bidoo-bidoo

Kapag nag-iisa't kasama ang gitara [When you're alone with a guitar]
Basta't dumarating ang kanta [As long as the song is coming in]
Awiting maaari ring kung may kasama [You can also sing with someone]
Tambol mo ay butas na lata [Your drums is a can with a hole]

Sabayan ng sipol ang bawat pasada [Whistle along with each phase]
Huminga ka ng malalim at sabay ang buga [Take a deep breath and roar]
Kabag buo na't handa na ang lahat [When everyone's ready and complete]
Sabay-sabay ang pasok sa bagsak ng paa [Enter together at once with the stomping of feet]

Heto na, heto na, heto na... Ahh... [Here it comes, here it comes, here it comes... Ahh...]
Doo-bidoo-bi-doo, bidoo-bidoo-ah

Mahirap gumawa ng kantang makata [It's hard to write a song that's poetic]
Makulay na tugtugin at pananalita [Colorful music and lyrics]
At kapuna-puna na parang dambuhala [And remarkable, like a giant]
Mga boses na nagpapababa [Voices that are lowered]

At meron din namang nagpapaboses bata [And there are also those who make their voice like kids]
Matataas ang tono't hininga'y mahaba [Pitch is high and breath is long]
Binubulong sa hangin ang bawat salita [Each word is whispered into the air]
Kapag naririnig mo ay nakakatuwa [Every time you hear it is pleasant]

Heto na, heto na, heto na... Ahh... [Here it comes, here it comes, here it comes... Ahh...]

Ah-doobi-doobi
Ah-doobi-doobi
Ah-doobi-doobi
Ah-doobi-doobi

Hindi naman kailangan boses mo'y maganda [It's not important for your voice to be beautiful]
Basta't may konting tono madaling makanta [As long as there's a bit of tone it's easy to sing]
Kung medyo sintunado ay hayaan mo na [If you're a bit tone-deaf, let it be]
Ang nais lang ng tao ay ang konting saya [What the people want is just a bit of fun]

Ihanda ang tropa at tambol na lata [Ready your friends and drums made of cans]
Kaskasin mo ng mabuti ang dalang gitara [Scrape well the guitar you're carrying]
Kapag buo na't handa na ang lahat [When everyone's ready and complete]
Huminga ka ng malalim at narito na [Take a deep breath and it's here]

Heto na, heto na, heto na, heto na... Ahh... [Here it comes, here it comes, here it comes, here it comes... Ahh...]
Doobi!

Several APO Hiking Society songs have been covered by various artists throughout the years, but the most successful cover is most likely Kamikazee's version of Doobidoo, which is arguably more popular than the original. The original had a pop sound while this version is hard rock, and although the original also had some likable aspects like the variations in singing, Kamikazee's version of shouting and going out of control is more in line with the song's message. The song is all about singing your heart out and having fun singing with friends. The lack of instruments or even singing ability is not a major obstacle because people just want to have some fun with music. Singing together a song that everyone knows is an activity everyone can enjoy, and you can also meet new people because music always brings people closer.

#5- APO Hiking Society - 'Blue Jeans'
Theme: The Importance of Education

Translated by meltrosz

Nandirito kami ngayon [Here we are today]
Nagsusumikap sa araw-araw [Working hard every day]
Kayod nang kayod hanggang sa mapagod [Continuing to work until we get tired]
Maagapan ang natatanaw [Looking forward to a bright future]

Paminsan-minsan ay naglalaro [Sometimes we play around]
Pag-ibig lang ang 'di ginagawang biro [Love is the only one we don't joke about]
Kung sa tuksuhan lang, hindi pahuhuli [If it's just teasing, we'll be there]
Kinabukasan ay tinatabi [We set aside our future]

Paminsan-minsan ay nabibigo [Sometimes we fail]
Sakit sa puso ay hindi maitago [We cannot hide the heartaches]
Ngunit tuloy pa rin, hindi pinapansin [But we go on, and ignore it]
Ang kabuhayan ay intindihin [Focus on our livelihood]

(Blue jeans)
Alam mo ba ano ang ibig sabihin ng ating pagsisikap sa 'skwela [Do you know the meaning of our diligence in school]
(Blue jeans)
Ba't 'di na lang iwanan ang pag-aaral at sama-sama tayong magsaya [Why don't we just abandon studying and let's have fun together]

Ngunit ang kabataan daw ay kayaman [But they say that youth is treasure]
'Wag daw basta't itapon at papabayaan [They said not to just throw it away and neglect]
Kaya magsikap tayo habang may panahon at [So let's work hard while there's still time and]
Mag-aral at mag-ipon tayo ng karunungan [Let's study and save up on wisdom]

(Blue jeans)
Sige, sige, sige kayod sa 'skwela at balang araw makikita n'yo [Go, go, go work hard at school and one day you'll see]
(Blue jeans)
Pagkatapos ng iyong paghihirap, 'di ka rin makakahanap ng trabaho [After all of your hard work, you won't even find a job]

Sino ba silang nagmamarunong sa buhay [Who are they to teach me about life]
Huwag sana silang makialam sa 'king buhay [Can they not interfere with my life]
Anong kinabukasan pagkatapos sa 'skwela [What's waiting after school life]
Huwag nang isipin at baka mangamba ka pa [Don't think about it anymore because you might just get scared]

Kay tagal-tagal ko nang nag-aaral [I've been studying for a long long time]
Tignan mo, kupas na'ng aking maong, hoo [See, my jeans have faded, hoo]
Kung akala mo ako ay natuto na [If you think I've learned]
Hindi pa rin [I still haven't]

O kay tagal-tagal ko nang nag-aaral [Oh I've been studying for a long long time]
Tignan mo, kupas na'ng aking maong, hoo [See, my jeans have faded, hoo]
Kung akala mo ako ay natuto na [If you think I've learned]
Hindi pa rin ('di pa rin, 'di pa rin, 'di pa rin) [I still haven't]

(Blue jeans)
Sige, sige, sige kayod sa 'skwela at balang araw makikita n'yo [Go, go, go work hard at school and one day you'll see]
(Blue jeans)
Pagkatapos ng iyong paghihirap, 'di ka rin makakahanap ng trabaho [After all of your hard work, you won't even find a job]

Sino ba silang nagmamarunong sa buhay [Who are they to teach me about life]
Huwag sana silang makialam sa 'king buhay [Can they not interfere with my life]
Anong kinabukasan pagkatapos sa 'skwela [What's waiting after school life]
Huwag nang isipin at baka mangamba ka pa [Don't think about it anymore because you might just get scared]

Another APO Hiking Society song, "Blue Jeans" is a pop song about the importance of youth and education. The song is very upbeat and the accompaniments are particularly vibrant. It only has one verse but several refrains with variations, which makes each section of the chorus really catchy. Not only the choruses, but the lyrics also roll off the tongue easily with very thought-provoking messages, making it memorable. The song questions several topics in education and life, such as the importance of schooling. Despite answering the importance of education, it expresses cynicism that even if you work hard at studying, you will still have a difficult time looking for a job, and even if you stay in school for a long time, it doesn't guarantee you'll get smarter or learn enough to graduate. Each line of the lyrics is so truthful but you won't realize how realistic they are until you experience them for yourself. What about you, what do you think is the importance of education?

#6- Yeng Constantino - 'Salamat (Thank You)'
Theme: Thanking A Very Special Friend

Translated by meltrosz

Kung ito man ang huling awiting aawitin [If this will be the last song I sing]
Nais kong malaman mong ika'y bahagi na ng buhay ko [I wish for you to know that you're now a part of my life]
At kung may huling sasabihin [And if I have any last words]
Nais kong sambitin, nilagyan mo ng kulay ang mundo [I wish to say, you brought color to my world]
Kasama kitang lumuha [You cried with me]
Dahil sa'yo ako'y may pag-asa [Because of you I have hope]

Ang awiting ito'y para sa'yo [This song is for you]
At kung maubos ang tinig, di magsisisi [And if my voice runs out, I will not regret it]
Dahil iyong narinig mula sa labi ko [Because you heard it straight from my lips]
Salamat, salamat [Thank you, thank you]
Haaaa. yeah yeaah

Sana'y iyong marinig, tibok ng damdamin [I wish you'll hear, the beat of my heart]
Ikaw ay mahalaga sa akin, ang awitin ko'y iyong dinggin [You are important to me, heed my song]
At kung marinig ang panalangin [And if my prayers are heard]
Lagi kang naroroon, humihiling ng pagkakataon [You are always there, wishing for an opportunity]
Masabi ko sa'yo ng harapan [To tell you face to face]
Kung gaano kita kailangan [How much I need you]

At kung maubos ang tinig, di magsisisi [And if my voice runs out, I will not regret it]
Dahil iyong narinig mula sa labi ko [Because you heard it straight from my lips]
Haaaa. yeah yeaah

Ito na ang pagkakataon [This is the opportunity]
Walang masasayang na panahon [There will not be a second wasted]
Mananatili ka sa puso ko kailanman [You will remain in my heart forevermore]
Para sa yo ako'y lalaban, ako'y lalaban [For you I will fight, I will fight]

Yeng Constantino released this song in 2007 and was recently covered by Momoland for their fan meeting in the Philippines in 2019. The acoustic pop ballad is part of her debut album and one of her most recognizable songs. It showcases her honey-like vocals with a sweet and mellow start but becomes more powerful towards the end. It also shows the wide range of her vocals wherein she can hit high notes and low notes easily and even shifts the key higher and higher. The song is addressed to a very special person who helped us get up in our darkest times when we were down, and it expresses our heartfelt thanks to them.

#7- Itchyworms - 'Awit Ng Barkada (Song Of Friends)'
Theme: Supporting Friends For Better Or Worse

Translated by meltrosz

Nakasimangot ka na lang palagi [You're always frowning all the time]
Parang ikaw lang ang nagmamay-ari [It's as if you're the only one who owns]
Ng lahat ng sama ng loob [All the resentment in the world]

Pagmumukha mo ay hindi maipinta [Your face cannot be painted]
Nakalimutan mo na bang tumawa [Have you forgotten how to laugh]
Eh, sumasayad na ang nguso mo sa lupa [Your snout is already touching the ground]

Kahit sino pa man ang may kagagawan [Whoever it is who's at fault]
Ng iyong pagkabigo [For your frustration]
Ay isipin na lang na ang buhay [Just think that life]
Kung minsan ay nagbibiro [Sometimes plays a joke]

Nandirito kami, ang barkada mong tunay [We are here, your true friends]
Aawit sa iyo [Who will sing for you]
Sa lungkot at ligaya, hirap at ginhawa [For better or worse, for richer or poorer]
Kami'y kasama mo [We're with you]

Kung sa pag-ibig may pinagawayan [If you had a fightwith your lover]
Kung salapi ay huwag nang pag-usapan [If it's about money, don't say a thing]
Tayo'y 'di nagbibilangan [We're not counting here]
Kung ang problema mo'y magkatambakan [If your problems have piled up]
Ang mga utang 'dio na mabayaran [Your debts you can no longer pay]
Lahat ng bagay ay nadadaan sa usapan [All things can be solved with talking]

Sa lungkot at ligaya, hirap at ginhawa [For better or worse, for richer or poorer]

Kung hahanapin ay kaligayahan [If you're looking for happiness]
Maging malalim o may kababawan [May it be deep or slightly shallow]
Sa'yo ay may nakalaan [There is something destined for you]
Kami asahan at wag kalimutan [Rely on us and don't forget us]
Maging ito ay madalas o minsan [May it be often or seldom]
Pagkat iba na nga ang may pinagsamahan [

(Sa lungkot at ligaya, hirap at ginhawa) [(For better or worse, for richer or poorer)]

Kasama mo [With you]
Kasama mo [With you]
Kasama mo [With you]

Itchyworms' "Awit Ng Barkada (Song Of Friends)" is another cover of an APO Hiking Society song, which I think is one of the rare ones that did justice to the original or even better, albeit it's not a popular cover. Itchyworms did not change much from the good parts of the original song, such as taking turns to sing or the blending of voices, and they even made it better by making it much more upbeat with even better harmonizations. The song is about supporting each other in problems and also in happiness; to rely on each other whether it's about something big or small because that is the meaning of friendship. This song is also much more dynamic and vibrant than the original, which makes it a very pleasant song to listen to.

#8- Raymond Lauchengco - 'Farewell'
Theme: Saying Goodbye To Friends

We used to be frightened and scared to try
Of things we don't really understand why
We laugh for a moment and start to cry
We were crazy
Now that the end is already here
We reminisce 'bout old yells and cheers
Even if our last hurrahs were never clear

Farewell to you my friends
We'll see each other again
Don't cry 'cause it's not the end of everything
I may be miles away
But here is where my heart will stay
With you, my friends with you

Yesterday's a treasure, today is here
Tomorrows' on its way, the sky is clear
Thank you for the mem'ries of all the laughters and tears
And not to mention our doubts and our fears
The hypertension we gave to our peers
It's really funny to look back after all of these years

I may be miles away

I may be oceans away
With you, my friends with only you

We can't talk about an OPM Playlist about schools and friendships without mentioning Raymond Lauchengco's "Farewell", which has become every school's theme song for graduations since time immemorial. I remember tearing up to this song every time I heard it when I was young despite not knowing the meaning of lyrics simply due to the emotions in the music and the memories associated with the song. Although there are many OPM songs that talk about friends drifting apart, they are all done in a reminiscent perspective so the feeling evoked is more of nostalgia. However, "Farewell" is about the goodbye itself so the feeling evoked is hesitation and separation anxiety. It is right before the moment you drift apart ― when you are saying goodbye ― that is the saddest and loneliest part because you don't know when you'll see your friends again and all your happy memories together flash before your eyes. I think this song perfectly captures that feeling, not only with the lyrics but also with the music and the singing.

#9- APO Hiking Society - 'Saan Na Nga Ba'ng Barkada (Where Are My Friends)'
Theme: Reminiscing The Happy Memories With Friends

Translated by meltrosz

Nagsimula ang lahat sa eskwela [Everything started in school]
Nagsama-samang labing-dal'wa [Twelve people who came together]
Sa kalokohan at sa tuksuhan [In the foolishness and teasings]
Hindi maawat sa isa't-isa [They can't be separated from each other]

Madalas ang stambay sa cafeteria [They would often hang out by the cafeteria]
Isang barkada na kay saya [A group of friends that is so happy]
Laging may hawak-hawak na gitara [They would always have a guitar at hand]
Konting udyok lamang kakanta na [Just a strum and they would be singing]

Kay simple lamang ng buhay non [Life was so simple back then]
Walang mabibigat na suliranin [There were no heavy problems]
Problema lamang laging kulang ang datung [The only problem was lack of funds]
Saan na napunta ang panahon? [Where did the time go?]

Saan na nga ba, saan na nga ba? [Where, where?]
Saan na napunta ang panahon [Where did time go?]
Saan na nga ba, saan na nga ba [Where, where?]
Saan na napunta ang panahon? [Where did the time go?]

Sa unang ligaw kayo'y magkasama [In the first romance you were all together]
Magkasabwat sa pambobola [You were all in on the flatteries]
Walang sikreto kayong tinatago [There are no secrets you hide from each other]
O kay sarap ng samahang barkada [Oh how wonderful the bond of friends is]

Nagkawatakan na sa kolehiyo [They got separated in college]
Kanya-kanya na ang lakaran [They all had their own schedules now]
Kahit minsanan na lang kung magkita [Even if they would now only seldomly meet]
Pagkakaibiga'y hindi nawala [The friendship did not disappear]

At kung saan na napadpad ang ilan [And some drifted to all sorts of places]
Sa dating eskwela meron ding naiwan [Some also got left behind in the old school]
Meron pa ngang mga ilang nawala na lang [There are even some that just disappeared]
Nakaka-miss ang dating samahan [I miss the old bond]

Saan na nga ba, san na nga ba [Where, where]
Saan na nga ba'ng barkada ngayon? [Where are my friends now?]
Saan na nga ba, saan na nga ba [Where, where]
Saan na nga ba'ng barkada ngayon? [Where are my friends now?]

Ilang taon din ang nakalipas [A few years passed]
Bawat isa sa amin, tatay na [Every one of us are fathers now]
Nagsusumikap upang yumaman [Working hard to get rich]
At guminhawang kinabukasan [And to get a comfortable future]

Paminsan-minsan kami'y nagkikita [Sometimes we meet up]
Mga naiwan at natira [The ones who are left]
At gaya nung araw namin sa eskwela [And just like our days in school]
Pag magkasama ay nagwawala [When together we go out of control]

Napakahirap malimutan [It's so hard to forget]
Ang saya ng aming samahan [The happiness of our bond]
Kahit lumipas na ang ilang taon [Even if a few years have passed]
Magkakabarkada pa rin ngayon [We're still friends today]
Magkaibigan, magkaibigan [Friends, friends]
Magkaibigan pa rin ngayon [We're still friends today]
Magkaibigan, magkaibigan [Friends, friends]
Magkabarkada pa rin ngayon [We're still friends today]

This song was originally released by the APO Hiking Society and was covered by Sponge Cola in the tribute album for the former. Although the cover is much more recent and dynamic in terms of music, I much prefer the original because of its purity of sound and the harmonization in the choruses. These elements also help make the listeners feel the longing and the nostalgia that the song wants to convey. Like one of the previous songs on this list, this also a story about friends who were close to one another but eventually drifted apart. However, the other song talks about the meaning of true friendship while this song is reminiscing about memories with old friends. It comes to the conclusion that although some of their friends have disappeared and only a few of them really meet, the others are still and forever will be part of their group.

#10- Florante - 'Handog (Tribute)'
Theme: Paying Tribute To Friends

Translated by meltrosz

Parang kailan lang [It seems only yesterday]
Ang mga pangarap ko'y kay hirap abutin [All my dreams were so hard to reach]
Dahil sa inyo [Because of you]
Napunta ako sa aking nais kong marating [I got to where I wished to go to]
Nais ko kayong pasalamatan [I wish to thank you]
Kahit man lamang isang awitin [Even if it's just one song]

Halos ako ay magpalimos sa lansangan [I was almost begging on the streets]
Ang aking tiyan at ang bulsa'y nagkalaman [My stomach and pockets were filled]
Kaya't itong awiting aking inaawit [So this song I'm singing]
Nais kong kayo ang handugan [I wish to pay tribute to you]

Tatanda at lilipas rin ako [I will eventually grow old and pass away]
Ngunit mayroong awiting [But there is a song]
Iiwanan sa inyong alaala [I'm leaving in your memory]
Dahil minsan tayo'y nagkasama [Because once upon a time we spent time together]

Ang mga awitin ko'y ayaw pakinggan [My songs were refused to be heard]
Narinig ang isip ko at naintindihan [My thoughts were heard and understood]
Dahil dito'y ibig ko kayong ituring [Because of this I would like to treat you]
Na matalik kong kaibigan [As my closest friend]

For the last song on my list, I chose the most popular song of one of the pioneers of folk music in the Philippines, Florante's "Handog (Tribute)". The instrumental of the song is very simple with just a simple plucking pattern on the acoustic guitar and the singer's voice sounds like it has experienced the vicissitudes of life. The lyrics of the song speak of harsh reality yet they are also full of beauty. We all have someone who did something for us that we greatly appreciate and we wish we can return the favor. It can be not in the form of songwriting but I always sing and "offer" this song to those people who helped me along the way. It does not shy away from the fact that we'll all eventually get old, pass away and be forgotten, but through a song the memory is forever immortalized.

That ends the OPM Recommendations for this month! I hope you found at least one song you liked and added to your playlist. Did you have fun reminiscing about your old school days and your past friendships through these songs? Call a friend you haven't talked to in a long time and tell them how much you appreciate them! I hope to see you again in the next OPM Recommendations!

YouTube Playlist

PROOFREAD BY: @Andrea
GRAPHICS BY: @Kyon

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom