"Paddington 2" passes "Citizen Kane" to become best reviewed movie of all time

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,483,925

Paddington 2 Just Became the Best Reviewed Movie of All Time​

A recently discovered 80-year-old negative review of Citizen Kane has knocked the Orson Welles’s classic down from 100% to 99% on Rotten Tomatoes.

paddington%2525202.jpg

Break open that jar of marmalade, because Paddington 2 just became the best reviewed movie per Rotten Tomatoes. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Citizen Kane, Orson Welles’s classic 1941 film widely considered to be the greatest movie ever made, has been knocked off its perch atop the Rotten Tomatoes throne by the friendly, animated bear with a penchant for wearing blue coats and red bucket hats.

Due to the discovery of an 80-year-old negative review of Citizen Kane from the Chicago Tribune, Kane has been bumped all the way down from 100% to 99% on Rotten Tomatoes. According to THR, there are other films that have a 100% rating, “but Paddington 2 has considerably more reviews.” Film Twitter has taken the news and run with it, prompting memes and jokes in praise of the newly crowned “best movie of all time.” Paddington 2 starred Hugh Grant, Sally Hawkins, Brendan Gleeson, and Ben Whishaw as the voice of Paddington.

In response to the news that his film now sits atop the throne, Paddington 2 cowriter and director Paul King expressed his gratitude. “It’s extremely lovely to be on on any list, which includes Citizen Kane, but it is obviously quite an eccentric list that goes from Citizen Kane to Paddington 2, so I’ll try not to take it too seriously,” King told THR. “I won’t let it go too much to my head and immediately build my Xanadu. But I have been cooking up a model just in case.”

As for a sequel to the greatest film ever made, StudioCanal confirmed earlier this year that Paddington 3 is in the works, with King telling THR that the script is “well developed and coming on nicely.” Following up the best reviewed film of all time is surely a daunting task, but film Twitter has already thrown King its support. If there’s one thing we all agree on, it’s that we love Paddington Bear.

--​

this unironically ^

i just recently watched the two Paddington movies and before that i always heard people talking about how good they were
i wondered if this was some sort of meme... turns out they were absolutely right, Paddington is a master piece

Last edited:
Top Bottom