Piers Morgan Fired From ‘Good Morning Britain’ Following Meghan Markle Comments

Astro

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,630,700
Piers-Morgan-Good-Morning-Britain.jpg

ITV presenter Piers Morgan has quit morning show “Good Morning Britain.”

The U.K. broadcaster confirmed in a statement on Tuesday evening local time that “following discussions with ITV, Piers Morgan has decided now is the time to leave Good Morning Britain. ITV has accepted this decision and has nothing further to add.”

Morgan, who began his career as a newspaper journalist, began on “Good Morning Britain” in 2015 as a guest host and soon became a permanent fixture alongside co-host Susanna Reid.

His shock departure from the popular morning program comes less than an hour after an investigation was launched by British media regulator Ofcom into his comments on Monday’s edition of the show. Morgan said he didn’t believe Meghan Markle’s revelations about her mental ill health, which she made during her and Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey, which was broadcast in the U.S. on Sunday evening.

Markle said she had approached people within the Royal “institution” for help after she had entertained suicidal thoughts, but was turned down.

“Who did you go to? What did they say to you?” demanded a belligerent Morgan on Monday morning, when the U.K. press first began responding to the CBS revelations that emerged overnight. “I’m sorry, I don’t believe a word she said, Meghan Markle. I wouldn’t believe it if sheread me a weather report,” Morgan continued.

Ofcom launched an investigation on Tuesday after more than 41,000 people wrote in to complain about Morgan’s behavior.

Earlier in the day, on Tuesday’s edition of the program, Morgan stormed off set while “Good Morning Britain” was being broadcast live, following an altercation with weatherman Alex Beresford, who called Morgan’s behaviour “diabolical.” The host then left, uttering, “Sorry. You can trash me, mate, but not on my own show. See you later.”

Morgan later returned to the show and said: “When we talked about this yesterday, I said, as an all encompassing thing, I don’t believe what Meghan Markle is saying generally in this interview and I still have serious concerns about the veracity of a lot of what she said. But let me just state for the record on my position on mental illness and on suicide: these are clearly extremely serious things and should be taken extremely seriously and if someone is feeling that way, they should get the treatment and the help they need every time. And if they belong to an institution like the Royal Family and they go and seek that help they should absolutely be given it.”

“It’s not for me to question if she felt suicidal, I am not in her mind and that is for her to say,” Morgan added. “My real concern was a disbelief frankly…that she went to a senior member of the Royal household and told them she was suicidal and was told she could not have any help because it would be a bad look for the family. If that is true a) that person should be fired and b) the Royal family have serious questions that need to be answered.”

ITV chief executive Carolyn McCall said on Tuesday during the broadcaster’s earnings call that she believed Markle “completely” and the broadcaster also issued a statement.

“ITV is committed to mental health and wellbeing and working with our charity partners on ‘Britain Get Talking,’ which is about encouraging people to talk about their mental health,” the statement reads. “It is very important that if anyone has suicidal thoughts that they should always speak out and be listened to.”

Source

For those wondering why he hates Meghan so much the dude went out on a date with her before she was with Harry and then she ghosted him spacer.png

Last edited:

yerm

I can make the beat go! Graphics Lead Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,505,706
Pronouns
she/her
Good riddance, but he'll show up again soon... he's like a boomerang.

chomp chomp

your heart's not broken, it's only growing
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,800
Pronouns
She/Her
When a woman knows, a woman knows :partydogo:
Goodbye. I would say farewell but... don't.

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
He complained about Meghan so much, but can't deal with a few critical questions without walking out.

Why does he seem so obsessed with her anyway?

Top Bottom