PlayStation 5 Console Launches in Holiday Season 2020

Vampire

Astarion approves. Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭158,159
Jim Ryan, the new president and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, announced on the official PlayStation Blog on Tuesday that Sony's next-generation console is the PlayStation 5, and it will launch during the holiday season in 2020.

Ryan revealed more details of the new controller that will ship with the PlayStation 5. The controller will feature haptic feedback to replace current "rumble" technology. Additionally, "Adaptive triggers" incorporated into the controller's trigger buttons (L2, R2) will allow developers to adjust resistance in the triggers.

Ryan also spoke with Wired magazine for an article posted today. The article further details the console's solid-state drive, "ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware," controller, mandatory game installation, and updated user interface. The PlayStation 5's physical games will use 100GB optical disks that can be inserted into an optical drive that also functions as a 4K Blu-ray Disc player.

As Ryan revealed in September, the PlayStation 5 will include a feature to suspend gameplay at a lower power consumption than the PlayStation 4, with an estimated power consumption of around 0.5w. Ryan noted that if one million users of the console use the feature, it will save electricity consumption equal to 1,000 U.S. homes.

Sony Interactive Entertainment's Mark Cerny, PlayStation 4 lead system architect and game designer, revealed in April that the new console has been in development for four years. The console will be backward-compatible with PS4 games, as it is partly based on the PS4's architecture.

Sony has shipped more than 100 million units of the PS4 console worldwide as of June 30.

A

Aerith

I'm sure I'll likely buy it, especially since it's not until next year. PlayStation is pretty much the only console I usually bother with anyway.

Hibiki

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭17,230
2020 is nice but the PS5's library won't be a decent size until 2022 at the earliest imo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Good thing it's backwards compatible :p

Top Bottom