Re-interest in Jpop

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
I used to be into J-pop, but have drifted away from it almost completely.

Can someone tell me what the biggest groups are?
And perhaps a recommendation or two?

Thank you.

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
What are you looking for?
Idk when you were into JPOP but the biggest groups haven't changed much, except there are some new Johnny's that are very popular. Then you have the usual suspects: Arashi are still by far the most popular group in the country (but they're going on a hiatus soon), J-rock groups like Bump of Chicken, Mr. Children and more, 48/46-groups, etc.
There's also Official Higedandism, King Gnu etc outside of idols that have risen to popularity in the last couple of years.

SMAP, Namie Amuro, E-Girls disbanded/retired.

Here's an idol recommendation

Non-idol

If you've somehow managed to miss Yonezu Kenshi's last few years

If you're interested in idols, I can also recommend the J-idol club thread

Last edited:

kimsguardian

🄳🄾🄾🅁🚪 Sixth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭895,670
Pronouns
He/Him
you may wanna try to listen to this, seems like a lot of kpop idols covering this masterpiece recently :sip:

akip band version~

do you like aimer? i mean, who desnt? :yoosmile:

I used to be into J-pop, but have drifted away from it almost completely.

Can someone tell me what the biggest groups are?
And perhaps a recommendation or two?

Thank you.
biggest group?
still akb or arashi (which recently just released their new music)

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
Correction to the above: AKB48 is no longer the biggest idol group in Japan. Their sales are still kept afloat by their core fanbase bulk-buying like crazy, but they have fallen from grace in terms of how the public perceives them due to a massive scandal from their sister group and the departure of most of their top members. Nogizaka46 is the biggest female idol act in Japan. Momoiro Clover Z is also fairly popular still; while they're never at the top of sales lists, they have a lot of brand deals and are very recognizable to the public.

Nikkei releases power rankings for idols and entertainers each year, and those can help let you know who's big and who's not so big still.

Kouhaku doesn't hold quite the power it used to and they still bring in lots of legacy acts that haven't actually been popular in ages, but their annual lineups can be a good indication of who has been particularly successful in the last year.

I'd recommend perusing those to see who's on top of the jpop scene, if that's what you're curious about.

Last edited:

babyv004

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭35,695
i dont know if we like the same type of music but try my top of 2019. maybe you can find some songs or artists that you will like

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
What are you looking for?
Idk when you were into JPOP but the biggest groups haven't changed much, except there are some new Johnny's that are very popular. Then you have the usual suspects: Arashi are still by far the most popular group in the country (but they're going on a hiatus soon), J-rock groups like Bump of Chicken, Mr. Children and more, 48/46-groups, etc.
There's also Official Higedandism, King Gnu etc outside of idols that have risen to popularity in the last couple of years.

SMAP, Namie Amuro, E-Girls disbanded/retired.

Here's an idol recommendation

Non-idol

If you've somehow managed to miss Yonezu Kenshi's last few years

If you're interested in idols, I can also recommend the J-idol club thread

I liked all three songs. The third one I have heard before, but I don't know the other two.
Shine is my fave out of these.

I knew Namie Amuro retired, but not SMAP and E-Girls.
Thanks for the info and the great music:)

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
I liked all three songs. The third one I have heard before, but I don't know the other two.
Shine is my fave out of these.

I knew Namie Amuro retired, but not SMAP and E-Girls.
Thanks for the info and the great music:)
I'm glad you liked them! If there's anything else, feel free to ask :shablob:

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
you may wanna try to listen to this, seems like a lot of kpop idols covering this masterpiece recently :sip:

akip band version~

do you like aimer? i mean, who desnt? :yoosmile:

biggest group?
still akb or arashi (which recently just released their new music)

Thank you!

I remember Arashi from before. Glad that they still released music.
Never heard of Aimer, but I guess she is popular? Nice song. She has talent.
Official Higedanism, I think they're called? From what I gather, they're popular now. Will check out more of their songs :cool:

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
Correction to the above: AKB48 is no longer the biggest idol group in Japan. Their sales are still kept afloat by their core fanbase bulk-buying like crazy, but they have fallen from grace in terms of how the public perceives them due to a massive scandal from their sister group and the departure of most of their top members. Nogizaka46 is the biggest female idol act in Japan. Momoiro Clover Z is also fairly popular still; while they're never at the top of sales lists, they have a lot of brand deals and are very recognizable to the public.

Nikkei releases power rankings for idols and entertainers each year, and those can help let you know who's big and who's not so big still.

Kouhaku doesn't hold quite the power it used to and they still bring in lots of legacy acts that haven't actually been popular in ages, but their annual lineups can be a good indication of who has been particularly successful in the last year.

I'd recommend perusing those to see who's on top of the jpop scene, if that's what you're curious about.

I heard about that scandal. Some fighting between members in Fukuoka if I remember correctly?
They really dropped the ball on that one.

Nogizaka46: let me guess: 46 members? :D
Thanks for the power ranking. It really shows the strength of Nogizaka46 and it is a good start to see what's going on in Japan.

I'm glad you liked them! If there's anything else, feel free to ask :shablob:

Thank you. I will:hehe:

Lurkette

Trainee Translation Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,789
I heard about that scandal. Some fighting between members in Fukuoka if I remember correctly?
They really dropped the ball on that one.

Nogizaka46: let me guess: 46 members? :D
Thanks for the power ranking. It really shows the strength of Nogizaka46 and it is a good start to see what's going on in Japan.

No, if it were just in-fighting, they would have had issues long ago. A member of NGT48 was assaulted upon returning to the dorm where many of the members lived, because other members had men over and she told them to stop. Management proceeded to cover up which members had the boys over (who, as it turned out, were fans who had gained access to the members by bulk-buying to such an extent that management was willing to overlook their fraternizing privately with the members) and who told the boys to attack the other member. A few members later went on social media to make fun of the member who was assaulted, leading fans to realize that many of the most popular members were involved in the attack and in the dating ring, and then every sponsor dropped out for that group, and many, many sponsors dropped out for all of the other 48 groups, as well. AKB has struggled significantly since then, not holding the big events they used to, new centers being chased out of the group, etc. They still have some name value but most of that is due to Akimoto Yasushi's limitless connections.

Nogizaka46 was created by the same Akimoto as an official rival group to AKB48. The number 46 was to suggest that they would be successful without as many members (they don't have even close to 46, however). They, too, have sister groups like 48 groups do.

So in short, Akimoto has been dominating the idol scene for the last decade.

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
No, if it were just in-fighting, they would have had issues long ago. A member of NGT48 was assaulted upon returning to the dorm where many of the members lived, because other members had men over and she told them to stop. Management proceeded to cover up which members had the boys over (who, as it turned out, were fans who had gained access to the members by bulk-buying to such an extent that management was willing to overlook their fraternizing privately with the members) and who told the boys to attack the other member. A few members later went on social media to make fun of the member who was assaulted, leading fans to realize that many of the most popular members were involved in the attack and in the dating ring, and then every sponsor dropped out for that group, and many, many sponsors dropped out for all of the other 48 groups, as well. AKB has struggled significantly since then, not holding the big events they used to, new centers being chased out of the group, etc. They still have some name value but most of that is due to Akimoto Yasushi's limitless connections.

Nogizaka46 was created by the same Akimoto as an official rival group to AKB48. The number 46 was to suggest that they would be successful without as many members (they don't have even close to 46, however). They, too, have sister groups like 48 groups do.

So in short, Akimoto has been dominating the idol scene for the last decade.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
That's way crazier than I thought. Feel sorry for the idols who behaved well and then had to deal with that.
And that management is dumb.

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
i dont know if we like the same type of music but try my top of 2019. maybe you can find some songs or artists that you will like

I specifically like:

Tropical Fish
Pass Code
Category

But I will check out more of them
Thank you!:ToughPar:

JessicaRabbit123

Hallyuboo
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭286,575
Well, these are some of my most streamed Japanese singles ala Spotify. I hope you don't think my song choices suck :LOL:

Top Bottom